GR86 Vehicle Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
..There’s talk of old school switches being installed and 3rd party immobilisers.
Indeed - I’ve got my old Ghost Immobiliser sitting in an envelope ready to be redeployed into the GR. Wouldn’t matter if I left my keys next to the car with a box of chocolates, they still couldn’t start it 😏
 
I've seen a recent post on the Facebook group suggesting that our vehicles don't come with an alarm, but only an immobiliser.
I thought it must just be a mistake - but it occurs to me that several times I have locked the car with the windows open while its been hot, and the alarm hasn't been set off. Usually I'd expect air movement within the cabin to trigger it.

Anyone actually heard their alarm go off?
 
I've seen a recent post on the Facebook group suggesting that our vehicles don't come with an alarm, but only an immobiliser.
I thought it must just be a mistake - but it occurs to me that several times I have locked the car with the windows open while its been hot, and the alarm hasn't been set off. Usually I'd expect air movement within the cabin to trigger it.

Anyone actually heard their alarm go off?
Edit: removing my comments as nothing seems to be adding up now. Thatcham list our car as cat 2, Toyota say cat 1. Cat 1 has an alarm, cat 2 doesn’t.
 
Last edited:
I might lock it with the windows open later, then stick an arm in through the window...that should be enough to set it off if it's there.
Also, the GT86 was notorious for having the bonnet alarm sensor mounted on a flimsy bracket which would bend if you looked at it wrong, meaning your alarm went off constantly as it thought the bonnet was open. Unless they've refined that design, the sensor should be easily visible.
 
I might lock it with the windows open later, then stick an arm in through the window...that should be enough to set it off if it's there.
Also, the GT86 was notorious for having the bonnet alarm sensor mounted on a flimsy bracket which would bend if you looked at it wrong, meaning your alarm went off constantly as it thought the bonnet was open. Unless they've refined that design, the sensor should be easily visible.
Looks like the guy on the FB post has tried setting it off on purpose and not had any luck.

Wonder how this will play out with insurance etc seeing as TOL and their equipment list are basically saying two different things.
 
Looks like the guy on the FB post has tried setting it off on purpose and not had any luck.

Wonder how this will play out with insurance etc seeing as TOL and their equipment list are basically saying two different things.
I see he's also linked to a post from the US forums, about how the alarm defaults to OFF.

I seem to remember reading this post, but it doesn't mention out alarm defaulting to off in the UK manual, IIRC. So I never bothered testing it!
 
I see he's also linked to a post from the US forums, about how the alarm defaults to OFF.

I seem to remember reading this post, but it doesn't mention out alarm defaulting to off in the UK manual, IIRC. So I never bothered testing it!
I’ll have a go at enabling it on my lunch. Not something I’ve even thought about, assumed all cars came with alarms as standard nowadays!
 
I've seen a recent post on the Facebook group suggesting that our vehicles don't come with an alarm, but only an immobiliser.
I thought it must just be a mistake - but it occurs to me that several times I have locked the car with the windows open while its been hot, and the alarm hasn't been set off. Usually I'd expect air movement within the cabin to trigger it.

Anyone actually heard their alarm go off?
Refer to page 81 of your textbooks people

200w.gif


1694688677234.png


The car and lock symbol flashes on my dash when its locked suggesting to me it has an alarm and its activated. Would be very odd if this wasn't the case. I'd imagine this is part of the PDI to activate it.
 
Let us know how you get on!
 
Confirmed. Alarm doesn't work for me.
Locked the car with windows open. Left it 30 seconds, then leaned in and attetmped to open or unlock the door (key out of reach) - nothing.

Worse - I tried the procedure to enable the alarm as per that post from the US forum. Not a peep from the horn, or any indication an alarm has been turned on.

Repeated the first test - not a peep.

Would invite others to test and confirm, but it looks like we don't have an alarm :(
 
Confirmed. Alarm doesn't work for me.
Locked the car with windows open. Left it 30 seconds, then leaned in and attetmped to open or unlock the door (key out of reach) - nothing.

Worse - I tried the procedure to enable the alarm as per that post from the US forum. Not a peep from the horn, or any indication an alarm has been turned on.

Repeated the first test - not a peep.

Would invite others to test and confirm, but it looks like we don't have an alarm :(
Just done the same. No change when following the procedure from the manual either.
 
I'm a bit miffed now. I'm not sure how effective an alarm actually is as a deterrent, but there could be an insurance implication if it's being listed incorrectly.
 
especially when we have TOL saying it has a Cat 1 Thatcham which is supposed to include an alarm.

Not sure what the implications will be for phoning the insurance to tell them the car doesn’t have an alarm just over 7 months after taking the policy out.
 
I wonder if this a case of it being there but being missed and not enabled in the PDI? Is this one of the settings that someone with Techstream could look for and turn on?
 
This is unreal. Just when I thought the clowns at Toyota GB had finished...
 
Also can’t remember if this was manually selected or automatic but the drive home insurance also states it has an alarm…

Edit: found the email. TOL specifically say to choose alarm and immobiliser.

IMG_8126.webp


IMG_8128.webp
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top