GR86 Vehicle Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly I was asked by one insurance broker if it just had a cat 2 immobiliser. “Erm no I think it has a cat 1 alarm”🫤
 
Admiral policy docs don't actually state alarm on them:

1694695498353.png


Maybe that explains all the higher than expected quotes people were getting last year.
 
Thatcham list the car as having a Cat 1 Alarm/Immobiliser, which is presumably where insurers get their info from. If the car was sold to me as having an alarm, Thatcham says it has an alarm, and my insurer says the same (although the documents don't seem to specifically stipulate an alarm) then hopefully there's no implications should the worst happen. But how do Thatcham know a car has an alarm? Do they test it, or do they just rely on the manufacturer to tell them?

I am just perplexed as to why the car seemingly doesn't have one. The manuals (US/UK) both suggest it does, with only the US one suggesting that it's just disabled by default. But the activation process doesn't seem to work. Surely there must be something we're missing here?

Not really sure what to do with this information now. Could phone TOL and complain...but not sure how it will help. I doubt they will order a mass recall to install alarms (not sure I'd want that either). The only thing they might do I guess is re-publish the vehicle security specs - which in turn mightm ean Thatcham/insurers would re-classify, and possibly change their premiums. Not sure if that's better than just continuing to plead ignorance tbh....
 
Thatcham list the car as having a Cat 1 Alarm/Immobiliser, which is presumably where insurers get their info from. If the car was sold to me as having an alarm, Thatcham says it has an alarm, and my insurer says the same (although the documents don't seem to specifically stipulate an alarm) then hopefully there's no implications should the worst happen. But how do Thatcham know a car has an alarm? Do they test it, or do they just rely on the manufacturer to tell them?

I am just perplexed as to why the car seemingly doesn't have one. The manuals (US/UK) both suggest it does, with only the US one suggesting that it's just disabled by default. But the activation process doesn't seem to work. Surely there must be something we're missing here?

Not really sure what to do with this information now. Could phone TOL and complain...but not sure how it will help. I doubt they will order a mass recall to install alarms (not sure I'd want that either). The only thing they might do I guess is re-publish the vehicle security specs - which in turn mightm ean Thatcham/insurers would re-classify, and possibly change their premiums. Not sure if that's better than just continuing to plead ignorance tbh....
Interestingly the brochure only says immobiliser, no mention of an alarm. But the link I previously posted states it has an alarm, as well as their instructions for the drive home insurance.

Feel like there’s been a breakdown in communication between the factory and Toyota GB somewhere.
 
I've also just popped the bonnet, looking for the flimsy alarm sensor bracket the old car had - not there. Looked all around the edge of where the bonnet sits, no sign of any sensor there either. Not definitive, but if the car did physically have an alarm fitted, then I'd expect something like that to be present.
 
I've just looked up my official specifications from the VIN. That shows both alarm and immobiliser in the factory build sheet.
20230915_150234.webp
 
Confirmed. Alarm doesn't work for me.
Locked the car with windows open. Left it 30 seconds, then leaned in and attetmped to open or unlock the door (key out of reach) - nothing.

Worse - I tried the procedure to enable the alarm as per that post from the US forum. Not a peep from the horn, or any indication an alarm has been turned on.

Repeated the first test - not a peep.

Would invite others to test and confirm, but it looks like we don't have an alarm :(
I did the same yesterday evening. Results the same for me.
 
So have we all been mis-sold here then? Everything during the ordering process suggested it had an alarm and now we’re being told/finding out it doesn’t have one.

Not all that serious if your insurance pulled the correct information (looks like Admiral is fine) but if it’s incorrectly insured then who foots that potential bill?
 
I can't believe it doesn't have an alarm, there can't have been a new car sold in the UK in the last 30 years that didn't have a standard fit alarm/immob particularly with all the joyriding going on in the 90's.
 
I can't believe it doesn't have an alarm, there can't have been a new car sold in the UK in the last 30 years that didn't have a standard fit alarm/immob particularly with all the joyriding going on in the 90's.
Agree with this.
 
The latest (June 2023)Thatcham List shows the GR86 as having a Cat2 immobiliser only. It does not appear under the Cat1 systems (although the GT86 does).

ThatchamCat2.jpg

@Vithar depending on the response from TOL, it may be worth quoting/pointing them to Thatcham's 'Vehicle Security National Listing' as this is the document insurers work from.
 
Last edited:
If Toyota are showing that these come with an alarm, the spec says that they should come with an alarm, but the reality is that they haven't got one how likely is it that Toyota would do something to fix the issue.

With the parking sensors they offered to fit them for people who complained, so how likely is it that they'd do the same for an alarm. Everybody aside from the factory seems to think that they've got one so somebody has messed up.

@Cholmondeley-Biscuitt thanks for that. I will do.
 
Last edited:
This is from the thread on Facebook where someone asked Toyota UK. What’s an “EC compliant alarm”? A few of us have figured out it doesn’t have one full stop.

Clear as mud really.

IMG_8134.webp
 
Last edited:
So basically for insurance purposes it's a matter of selecting "Manufacturer/Factory fitted" and let the insurer use the database. The post above would confirm that the GR86 is not fitted with Cat1 Alarm approved by Thatcham but something else, which is fitted alongside a Thatcham approved Cat2 immobiliser (as noted within the National Register). What a ball-ache.

EDIT: The only thing I could find in the User Manual shows that the Alarm system is OFF when using the key (by default) and is a Dealer/Techstream customised setting (C). Maybe if it is set to ON and the key is used (not the fob) the Alarm will sound?


default alarm setting.jpg
 
Last edited:
When we took ours on the ferry to Le Mans there was no point locking it with the key so the alarm wasn't on then?

Oh well. It's proper nick-able anyway that a screaming alarm nobody takes any notice of won't matter.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top