Electric Cars

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
Having non-smart or smart chargers is irrelevant. The next step will be for governments to compel car companies to include software that limits how and when you can charge your car, irrespective of the charger it is connected to. If I can set charge limits and schedule charging now from my phone, then it's a small step to have that mandated.

The worst outcomes will be for people that charge at home on single phase supplies where they can reach not much more than 3kW - where they're on old or overloaded boards for instance - getting home with little battery left and then as battery capacities get bigger the charge times get longer. Sticking 70% into a 75kW battery will take nearly 18 hours on a 3kW supply.

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
Having non-smart or smart chargers is irrelevant. The next step will be for governments to compel car companies to include software that limits how and when you can charge your car, irrespective of the charger it is connected to. If I can set charge limits and schedule charging now from my phone, then it's a small step to have that mandated.

The worst outcomes will be for people that charge at home on single phase supplies where they can reach not much more than 3kW - where they're on old or overloaded boards for instance - getting home with little battery left and then as battery capacities get bigger the charge times get longer. Sticking 70% into a 75kW battery will take nearly 18 hours on a 3kW supply.
An overloaded distribution board is not a good idea at any time , new board is additional cost but better than your house , and or someone else's , burnt down 😱 A qualified electrician should be checking the safety aspect before installation 🤔

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
An overload distribution board is not a good idea at any time , new board is additional cost but better than your house , and or someone else's , burnt down 😱 A qualified electrician should be checked the safety aspect before installation 🤔
Well of course but a lot of people don't have spare capacity on their boards either and I know people running their wall chargers off max 13-16 amps because they can't use anymore. I have a 3ph charger but I run it at 16a (11kW) because of other gear running like air compressor, workshop etc. Vast majority of people that can charge won't be able to at rates quick enough to top their cars up overnight for longer journeys.

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
Well of course but a lot of people don't have spare capacity on their boards either and I know people running their wall chargers off max 13-16 amps because they can't use anymore. I have a 3ph charger but I run it at 16a (11kW) because of other gear running like air compressor, workshop etc. Vast majority of people that can charge won't be able to at rates quick enough to top their cars up overnight for longer journeys
I'm an optimist, things will change but life goes on , but not as we know it , and it's not all bad.

Coastliner

Dedicated member
Dec 16, 2021
Doncaster South Yorkshire.
Well of course but a lot of people don't have spare capacity on their boards either and I know people running their wall chargers off max 13-16 amps because they can't use anymore. I have a 3ph charger but I run it at 16a (11kW) because of other gear running like air compressor, workshop etc. Vast majority of people that can charge won't be able to at rates quick enough to top their cars up overnight for longer journeys.
Well I am an electrician by trade apprentice trained many years ago, I know this is a very emotive subject a little like Brexit you are either in one camp or another. But there is just not enough electricity being generated to satisfy a massive uptake of EV's. Watched the video on this thread and it's clear the EV publicity push is getting momentum. The 2030 deadline that has been set to stop selling petrol and diesel new cars is too ambitious. There are people in government making policies and decisions that don't even understand their own COVID lockdown rules, or that is what they want use to accept.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bronson and Dodger

BrianTheSn@il

Fascinated Member
Dec 6, 2021
Live from Norwich
Well I am an electrician by trade apprentice trained many years ago, I know this is a very emotive subject a little like Brexit you are either in one camp or another. But there is just not enough electricity being generated to satisfy a massive uptake of EV's. Watched the video on this thread and it's clear the EV publicity push is getting momentum. The 2030 deadline that has been set to stop selling petrol and diesel new cars is too ambitious. There are people in government making policies and decisions that don't even understand their own COVID lockdown rules, or that is what they want use to accept.:rolleyes:
Im in Both Camps ;) have been for a few years, i dont own a EV, only a electric pallet truck that i use for work.
I hired a Tesla a few years ago to see what all the fuss was about. The thing is was impressed with was the Instant power, no lag, no turbo spool, you press the throttle and its instant launch, and there's the acceleration !!, this was 6 years ago, and i still have my C63, im waiting for a EV that will bring on the fun and entertainment to a drive. Its going to happen - it has too, people like us want fun and a experience when we drive. Not just a fast vehicle thats get to A - B efficiently. We want to get to A - B with fun and enjoyment along the way ! plus a detour !

I certainly agree with the cost of petrol, the lesser the demand the more it will cost to extract and make. Oil companies have already extracted from the cheaper easier places. So in 10 years time petrol will cost a fortune ! used on classic cars at the weekend run outs and car shows only.

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
Not forgetting all the voltage issues at thousands of sub-stations across the country caused by solar panels! It’s a nightmare in our area when the sun shines, all the subs are old and decrepit and outages are frequent - so much so I got a generator installed. Sometimes I’m burning red diesel to charge my car 😂😂

Reactions: Coastliner

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
Not forgetting all the voltage issues at thousands of sub-stations across the country caused by solar panels! It’s a nightmare in our area when the sun shines, all the subs are old and decrepit and outages are frequent - so much so I got a generator installed. Sometimes I’m burning red diesel to charge my car 😂😂
Grid instability is something that needs to be dealt with over the next few years for sure. Conventional power stations that use rotating plant act like a flywheel and help keep the grid stable, as they disappear it creates new problems.

Unfortunately the DECC are a short sighted, often an unexperienced bunch and don't seem to be able to understand the long term issues such as charging. Its all well and good asking us to drive BEVs but how is our ancient power grid and un-diverse power generating fleet going to cope with it?

Worked in the power industry for 15 years now, a lot has changed.

Reactions: Bronson

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Svveden
Which, essentially, is guessing.
I recall the same things were said of the wonder fuel diesel, and what it'd do to petrol. That worked out well lol

If you feel you can predict, today, the oil/petrol industry in 10 years time, when probably one one else on the planet can, go to a betting shop and ask them to make odds. You will be a very rich man.
As given, in 10 years time, 2 years post the (UK) petrol/diesel 'ban' (if that materialises, and is not pushed back), there will millions and millions and millions and millions of ICE cars on this planet's roads, and still a huge number roaming the roads of Blighty.
My guess is those millions of cars will kind of still need petrol or diesel.
Which is also why those fearfull of BEV shouldn't fear too much. And if a transition is to be made with cars that live almost 20 years on average, there needs to be some incentive to change now if something is to be different in 2042....

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Svveden
Mind you, whilst the thread talk seems to have moved onto feasibility/infrastructure, personally, my main beef with the transportation pods, after my own driving experiecnes of them, is that they are crap. To the point of depressing desperation.
This point can even be raised to the majority of modern ICE cars today. Too automated, too isolated, too heavy. So the few true enthusiast (in relative numbers) just need to savor the few exceptions today and the good ones from the past. Times change, as do watches ;)

Coastliner

Dedicated member
Dec 16, 2021
Doncaster South Yorkshire.
This point can even be raised to the majority of modern ICE cars today. Too automated, too isolated, too heavy. So the few true enthusiast (in relative numbers) just need to savor the few exceptions today and the good ones from the past. Times change, as do watches ;)
That is a bad comparison, loads of Auto watches now being made and preferred over battery.

Reactions: GRMX

Steve

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
Llanedi, Carmarthenshire
It’s working for us. We plug the hybrid in during the day via a 3 pin plug (3.5kW) and the solar panels are generating around 4kW this time of year. So when the sun is shining, all the school runs and local trips up to 35 miles are solar powered. It’s free fuel. Then if we need to drive to Wales it will average around 60 mpg over the 260 mile journey, using less than half a tank.

They can turn the chargers off, even turn the power off, still get a full charge with 5 hours of sunshine.

In comparison my GRY costs £75 to fill up and will have about 1/5 tank left once I get there. Which will last about 5 minutes driving the Welsh roads as intended. Fun 5 minutes though.

Reactions: Bronson and AndyRC

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
It’s working for us. We plug the hybrid in during the day via a 3 pin plug (3.5kW) and the solar panels are generating around 4kW this time of year. So when the sun is shining, all the school runs and local trips up to 35 miles are solar powered. It’s free fuel. Then if we need to drive to Wales it will average around 60 mpg over the 260 mile journey, using less than half a tank.

They can turn the chargers off, even turn the power off, still get a full charge with 5 hours of sunshine.

In comparison my GRY costs £75 to fill up and will have about 1/5 tank left once I get there. Which will last about 5 minutes driving the Welsh roads as intended. Fun 5 minutes though.
Don’t say that , its not widely accepted that a BEV can work off a 3pin plug and not crash the national grid or burn your house down🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Duke

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Svveden
(Enthusiast) Mechanical cars and mechanical watches do attract similar crowds it seems...

As do Electronics and BEV (Tesla specifically)

My prejudice anyway...

Last edited: