Electric Cars

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Had a Model 3 base version for a day. About as quick as a GRY and a suprisingly good steer. Low weight (really good for the practicality offered, for an BEV, beats many a modern ICE) and uncorrupted steering with rwd help. Dislike the touchscreen everything though.

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
I drove a Cupra Born at the weekend, SEAT's attempt at an all-electric hot hatch. I really liked it.
My mate picked one up last week, he said the app is terrible but everything else is fine and his kids are obsessed with it, sigh... It's a rebadged ID3...looks like a Golf, but does it sound like a Golf?

hoagy_ytfc

Absorbed member
May 28, 2022
It's not just a re-badge. Sure it's on the same platform, but it looks better (opinion) and has higher power options (fact).

Reactions: Onehp

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
Had a test in and id4 and was totally underwhelmed by the interior , after having owned and loved VWs for over 40 years, sales guy didn’t take it well when I responded to the “what do you think?“ with “it made my old air cooled Beetle feel up market”

Went to look at the Born in the dealers and couldn’t believe the difference in feel of the cabin , a nice place to be and will definitely consider the Cupra version of the id 4. 👍

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
The Born is definitely a better car. If your fussed about colour options, Cupra’s are better than VW’s too. My mate has the Blue with Rose Gold (?) highlights/wheel trims. On paper it sounds awful, in reality it’s very nice.

Reactions: AndyRC

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
The Born is definitely a better car. If your fussed about colour options, Cupra’s are better than VW’s too. My mate has the Blue with Rose Gold (?) highlights/wheel trims. On paper it sounds awful, in reality it’s very nice.
I think the Cupra colours trims wheels are a bit marmite. I like most of them. Red looks very nice too 👍

Definitely interested how they interpret the iD 5 🤔

PS No idea how you would get a scratched wheel refinished 🤔

Reactions: Bronson

hoagy_ytfc

Absorbed member
May 28, 2022
"My mate has the Blue with Rose Gold (?) highlights/wheel trims."

That's the colour to get IMO. It's a premium price, but only about £800 on a £40k+ car, so not the end of the world. The test car I had was the mid-grey that's so ubiquitous this days. It looked awful.

PS I think the colour highlights on the Cupras are supposed to be "copper". There's a clue in the name :)

Attachments

IMG_2027.jpeg
Reactions: Bronson

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Zeekr 001 will soon come with a 150kWh battery, very quick charge and 600mile range... Proper extension leads charge infrastructure is of course a better solution and a work in progress...

D

Deleted member 534

Guests
The new MG4 looks like an electric bargain at the moment. The car doesn't look bad at all to boot.

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Some (simple) numbers from Norway https://elbil.no/sa-lite-strom-bruk...m_medium=email&utm_campaign=nyhetsbrev-2-0922

Total nr of cars about 2,8million
of which ~520'000 are BEV

Electric consumption of these is about 13% additional on average house consumption, 3,2% of all electricity consumption and 0,8% of all electricity production in Norway. If all cars in Norway would be BEV those would be 4-5% of all electricity production, the majority charged during the night when loads are low.

I am sure there are challenges in the UK for charging infrastructure, but I do suspect sceptics are making it a bigger problem then it perhaps is if this in any way translates, roughly, to the UK...

GRandemakina

Dedicated member
Sep 19, 2022
N
4 Kr/kWh (0,34 GBP) average... (peaking at 10 kr/kWh) not looking that bright for Norway (south) EVs though... :-(

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
Supercharged twice yesterday at 67p per kW :oops: at motorway speeds the Model Y is capable of about 2.3-2.5 miles per 1% of battery, that's 3.3 miles per kW or 20.3 pence per mile. At roughly 820p for a gallon of petrol/diesel, that means an ICE car only needs to average above 40.4 mpg to be cheaper to run than an EV!!

AlphaDelta

Devoted member
Feb 19, 2022
Supercharged twice yesterday at 67p per kW :oops: at motorway speeds the Model Y is capable of about 2.3-2.5 miles per 1% of battery, that's 3.3 miles per kW or 20.3 pence per mile. At roughly 820p for a gallon of petrol/diesel, that means an ICE car only needs to average above 40.4 mpg to be cheaper to run than an EV!!

And thats before you factor in the Tax. Once EVs become mainstream some form of road charging will come in to make up the lost Fuel Duty+VAT revenue I fully expect BEVs will be more expensive to run than ICE vehicles.

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
There is most definitely an insurance tax with these cars. They’re all a rip off. Over £1k for the Y, more than double for the GRY - and it’s certainly not twice the car or twice the value!

coldcuppatea

Devoted member
Sep 26, 2022
I’ve had a BMW i3 range extender for the last couple of years. It might look like it’s been modelled on Kryten’s head, but it’s been an absolute joy to own and drive.

Twin rear engined, carbon fibre chassis, rear wheel drive - what’s not to like (yeah yeah…but looks are subjective! 🤪)?

We keep it charged up from a mix of solar panels and “cheap” overnight tariffs (sadly not as cheap as they once were - oh how I took for granted paying 4p/kWh 🤣). If we want to do more than 90 miles in one trip it’ll happily do 50mpg from its 8 litre tank (can’t be bothered fighting with people for the knackered, over-used public chargers).

It’s also great fun to drive. I have a GR Yaris and a Boxster at my disposal but I certainly never feel short changed when driving the i3.

Definitely a place for electric, even in a petrolhead’s garage 🙂

5E602927-1046-4843-9729-A17C7E350E9B.jpeg

D

Deleted member 534

Guests
Funny you mention Kryton's head and electric car in the same post because Kryton (Robert Llewellyn) is the founder/presenter of one of the largest electric car channels on Youtube called Fully Charged. It's really good and his style is very similar to Harry from Evo mag/Harry's Garage.

Last edited by a moderator: