GR86 Anyone unplugged the sound generator?

I had intended to get my local Toyota dealer to disable the speaker but I got impatient and disconnected it myself last weekend. Very easy to do and should be easily reversible. I prefer it this way in case I ever change my mind.

Disconnected makes a big difference to how the car sounds and feels and I much prefer it off. The car now seems more refined at all revs, maybe too much as it's now hard to hear or feel the engine unless you're thrashing it. What you can hear now is proper mechanical/ metallic engine noises. Not exhaust, not intake and certainly not fake!

In any case, I now love the car a little bit more.

I'm kind of annoyed that Toyota/Subaru went to the trouble of developing and installing the speaker but made it sound crap.
I agree. Why didn't they use the same system as on the GT86 and pipe the engine noise into the cabin?
 
:ROFLMAO: I liked it. At low revs i'd agree with you, but over 5K rpm i thought it sounded great.
I liked it more than I like the current fake noise! I even when to so far as to google how to retrofit the old system to the new car and found a US forum thread where people questioned why on earth you would want to do that.
I currently have a resistor fitted to reduce the fake a bit, but it's not ideal.
 
I remember seeing years ago (possibly a Japanese video) on YT a sound enhancer where you could choose what engine sound you had, such as V6, V8, etc. Finding it hard to locate since searching for fake engine sounds now brings up every manufacturer who does it as standard :ROFLMAO: (well apart from the choice of different engines)

Nearest I got to finding it was this, quite like the idea of a V8 GR86

 
I remember seeing years ago (possibly a Japanese video) on YT a sound enhancer where you could choose what engine sound you had, such as V6, V8, etc. Finding it hard to locate since searching for fake engine sounds now brings up every manufacturer who does it as standard :ROFLMAO: (well apart from the choice of different engines)

Nearest I got to finding it was this, quite like the idea of a V8 GR86



Hahaha what an amazing video!
 
I remember seeing years ago (possibly a Japanese video) on YT a sound enhancer where you could choose what engine sound you had, such as V6, V8, etc. Finding it hard to locate since searching for fake engine sounds now brings up every manufacturer who does it as standard :ROFLMAO: (well apart from the choice of different engines)

Nearest I got to finding it was this, quite like the idea of a V8 GR86


The Renault Clio GT allows you select which car as standard, even let’s you select a R35 GTR 😂

 
More as time goes on, I want to disconnect the sound generator. I use the car as a daily and it's not what I want on my commute. You can only turn Radio 4 up so high . . .
 
More as time goes on, I want to disconnect the sound generator. I use the car as a daily and it's not what I want on my commute. You can only turn Radio 4 up so high . . .
go-do-it.webp
 
Just done mine, dropped the glove box off and you can get your whole hand to the plug, got my dashcam cable through the void now too, will see if it makes any difference tomorrow but i doubt it with my exhaust, at least I’ll know all the sound is real now though
 
More as time goes on, I want to disconnect the sound generator. I use the car as a daily and it's not what I want on my commute. You can only turn Radio 4 up so high . . .
Well I tried to do that today, but after dropping the glovebox and the side panel, I have absolutely no idea where the sound generator is! Nothing in that area looks remotely like anything others have posted . . . I take another look next week . . .
 
Last edited:
Well I tried to do that today, but after dropping the glovebox and the side panel, I have absolutely no idea where the sound generator is! Nothing in that area loos remotely like anything others have posted . . . I take another look next week . . .
I did mine yesterday and agree with everyone else, much better without!

When you drop the glove box it’s to the left and quite hard to find tbh…I managed it in a dark garage with iPhone torch though so you should be alright!
 
You can also do it fairly easily without dropping the glovebox off. You should be able to see the silver box and the connector in the bottom from the side panel. You’ll need to use a flat blade screwdriver to push the tab in. Access this from the glovebox (there is a hole in the top left when open). With your other hand through the side panel you can guide the screwdriver to the right location. As you push the tab in with your right hand pull down with your left hand to release.
 
Thanks for the info in this thread. I asked the dealer to disable the fake engine noise before I collected it, having found the code for it online I told them in advance.

When I picked the car up. He insisted that it was piped in from the intake and they could remove this pipe and blank it off for me at a later date.

I smiled and nodded knowing he was full of s@#t.

Anyway, I've got the connector unplugged now. It was tricky but I got it done with a long screwdriver through the glove box to reach the tab on the connector.

Looking forward to hearing the unmolested sound when I go out later.
 
He insisted that it was piped in from the intake and they could remove this pipe and blank it off for me at a later date.
Please tell me this was a salesperson and not a mechanic at a GR Centre? 😬
 
Please tell me this was a salesperson and not a mechanic at a GR Centre? 😬
I think he is a manager there. When I called up he said the same thing. I told him that on this version it is a speaker in the dash and the exact item that it is that needs to be deactivated. My thinking is he either did nothing, or looked under the bonnet and saw the airbox resonator.

I'm quite used to knowing more about the car that I'm buying than the people in the dealership so i can't say I'm surprised. I'm just glad there was an easy and reversible way for me to do it myself.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AWB
I remember seeing years ago (possibly a Japanese video) on YT a sound enhancer where you could choose what engine sound you had, such as V6, V8, etc. Finding it hard to locate since searching for fake engine sounds now brings up every manufacturer who does it as standard :ROFLMAO: (well apart from the choice of different engines)

Nearest I got to finding it was this, quite like the idea of a V8 GR86


I bought the V10 version of this to put in my old work van after seeing this video about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, modern alternators have an eco mode so it just idled most of the time and was really jarring
 
Back
Top