KobayashiMaru86
Totally Hooked
Off is definitely better. And with the exhaust it now sounds like a car should.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I agree. Why didn't they use the same system as on the GT86 and pipe the engine noise into the cabin?I had intended to get my local Toyota dealer to disable the speaker but I got impatient and disconnected it myself last weekend. Very easy to do and should be easily reversible. I prefer it this way in case I ever change my mind.
Disconnected makes a big difference to how the car sounds and feels and I much prefer it off. The car now seems more refined at all revs, maybe too much as it's now hard to hear or feel the engine unless you're thrashing it. What you can hear now is proper mechanical/ metallic engine noises. Not exhaust, not intake and certainly not fake!
In any case, I now love the car a little bit more.
I'm kind of annoyed that Toyota/Subaru went to the trouble of developing and installing the speaker but made it sound crap.
because it soudned like shitI agree. Why didn't they use the same system as on the GT86 and pipe the engine noise into the cabin?
because it soudned like shit
I liked it more than I like the current fake noise! I even when to so far as to google how to retrofit the old system to the new car and found a US forum thread where people questioned why on earth you would want to do that.I liked it. At low revs i'd agree with you, but over 5K rpm i thought it sounded great.
I remember seeing years ago (possibly a Japanese video) on YT a sound enhancer where you could choose what engine sound you had, such as V6, V8, etc. Finding it hard to locate since searching for fake engine sounds now brings up every manufacturer who does it as standard(well apart from the choice of different engines)
Nearest I got to finding it was this, quite like the idea of a V8 GR86
I remember seeing years ago (possibly a Japanese video) on YT a sound enhancer where you could choose what engine sound you had, such as V6, V8, etc. Finding it hard to locate since searching for fake engine sounds now brings up every manufacturer who does it as standard(well apart from the choice of different engines)
Nearest I got to finding it was this, quite like the idea of a V8 GR86
More as time goes on, I want to disconnect the sound generator. I use the car as a daily and it's not what I want on my commute. You can only turn Radio 4 up so high . . .
Well I tried to do that today, but after dropping the glovebox and the side panel, I have absolutely no idea where the sound generator is! Nothing in that area looks remotely like anything others have posted . . . I take another look next week . . .More as time goes on, I want to disconnect the sound generator. I use the car as a daily and it's not what I want on my commute. You can only turn Radio 4 up so high . . .
I did mine yesterday and agree with everyone else, much better without!Well I tried to do that today, but after dropping the glovebox and the side panel, I have absolutely no idea where the sound generator is! Nothing in that area loos remotely like anything others have posted . . . I take another look next week . . .
haha yeah the tyres are bad aren't they!I tried it yesterday and…does anyone know how to unplug the tyre noise generator?
It does sound better at high rpm though!
Please tell me this was a salesperson and not a mechanic at a GR Centre?He insisted that it was piped in from the intake and they could remove this pipe and blank it off for me at a later date.
I think he is a manager there. When I called up he said the same thing. I told him that on this version it is a speaker in the dash and the exact item that it is that needs to be deactivated. My thinking is he either did nothing, or looked under the bonnet and saw the airbox resonator.Please tell me this was a salesperson and not a mechanic at a GR Centre?![]()
I remember seeing years ago (possibly a Japanese video) on YT a sound enhancer where you could choose what engine sound you had, such as V6, V8, etc. Finding it hard to locate since searching for fake engine sounds now brings up every manufacturer who does it as standard(well apart from the choice of different engines)
Nearest I got to finding it was this, quite like the idea of a V8 GR86