GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

That’s fair enough. I play guitar but can still fit multiple guitars, an amp and a pedal board in the Supra.

I guess it depends how big your hobbies are 😂
Bikes. I know you can set suction mounts to put it outside but I don't fancy doing that on a bike that's worth 3x the cost of my vRS.
 
That’s fair enough. I play guitar but can still fit multiple guitars, an amp and a pedal board in the Supra.

I guess it depends how big your hobbies are 😂
Made a few boxes for mine to put my benchrest gear & luggage in for a few days away with my partner with us both competition shooting



Amazing what you can fit in, not as much as the GT86 to be fair but can get there faster 😁
 
Decided to look at Caymans. Knowing that my options are limited to 2013/2014 plates for the GR money does make it harder.

The sound though!
 
Decided to look at Caymans. Knowing that my options are limited to 2013/2014 plates for the GR money does make it harder.

The sound though!

Cayman R is the one that I've come veeery close to buying before being seduced by the V12 Vantage. I've started looking at them again although would probably have to flip the 86 privately to make up the difference

Alternatively, how about a v8 Cayman!
 
Decided to look at Caymans. Knowing that my options are limited to 2013/2014 plates for the GR money does make it harder.

The sound though!
Lovely things, worth the money they command.

The 981 feels more grown up than the earlier 987's, but in a nice way.

And yes, the noise. You have to wind it up a fair way up the rev range, but when it comes on song it's wonderful.

Try to find one with extended leather. That gives you the leather dash, with the stitching, and the whole of the door card is leather.

It gives the car a much more prestige feel.
 
Lovely things, worth the money they command.

The 981 feels more grown up than the earlier 987's, but in a nice way.

And yes, the noise. You have to wind it up a fair way up the rev range, but when it comes on song it's wonderful.

Try to find one with extended leather. That gives you the leather dash, with the stitching, and the whole of the door card is leather.

It gives the car a much more prestige feel.
I'm a little too risk averse with older cars, I'll need to get over that to go for something like this. If I do man-up, I'll look for the leather :)
 
I'm a little too risk averse with older cars, I'll need to get over that to go for something like this. If I do man-up, I'll look for the leather :)
I just ran a 2009 987 Cayman for 2 years. It needed 1 major service in that time, belts, plugs and brake fluid all done at a reputable Indy for £700... In theory it didn't need another service for 2 years. Was a very cheap car to run in the end!

Nice thing about Porsche is that there are tons of good Indys around to buy from and get your service work done at. At £45k a 981 GTS was on my list but they all feel a bit overpriced for me now.
 
I'm not on the list for a GR86 but I do have a GR Yaris.

While I get people complaining about the dealers don't forget they are all franchises and if sales people are not getting commission they are not going to care.

Also, in terms of the wait, was talking to someone who works for the local Mercedes recently and it is up to a 24 month wait for a lot of their models. It's just the way it is at the moment.

Personally despite the problems I have read about I still applaud Toyota for making cars like the GR Yaris, GR86 and GR Supra. No other company is producing as many affordable sports cars. No doubt the sales for the GR86 should have been handled by dealers, hopefully they have learnt from that mistake.
 
I’m thinking I need something a bit more practical as a second car. We have a 7 seater that my wife drives and loves. My car will occasionally need to take 2 kids out comfortably, I’ve looked at a GT86 and they are tiny in the back.

I am potentially on the list for a new Type R but given there are only 300 coming in to U.K. I doubt I’ll get one. Plus I keep finding myself looking at an i30N Performance.

The good thing is that I have until 2024 before I get the GR86 so can see what the market is doing.

I almost feel like it’s a perfect 3rd car, for the times I just go out just for me to blow off the cobwebs. But justifying a third car is crazy, especially given the current price hikes.
Any idea (or probably too late) on how to get on the Type R list? Really tempted but I would have to sell my Integra DC5 Type R to fund it and not sure if I can bring myself to do that as I love it dearly. Then again the whole reason I love it so much is why we are drawn to the GR86. Not the fastest but everything is raw and has much more driver feel in the climate of blisteringly fast but souless modern cars. Maybe that would also be the new Type R... Nearly got the current Type R a couple of years back when they were low £20k's but never went through with it. I would have made £10k driving it since then!
 
Any idea (or probably too late) on how to get on the Type R list? Really tempted but I would have to sell my Integra DC5 Type R to fund it and not sure if I can bring myself to do that as I love it dearly. Then again the whole reason I love it so much is why we are drawn to the GR86. Not the fastest but everything is raw and has much more driver feel in the climate of blisteringly fast but souless modern cars. Maybe that would also be the new Type R... Nearly got the current Type R a couple of years back when they were low £20k's but never went through with it. I would have made £10k driving it since then!
FK8 Type-R was on my list for years then prices went nuts. I'm hoping prices drop now the FL5 is out and I can get it as a 2nd car in a few years. I'm not keen on the spoiler though. The FK8 looked complete, this looks like an afterthought.
 
Any idea (or probably too late) on how to get on the Type R list? Really tempted but I would have to sell my Integra DC5 Type R to fund it and not sure if I can bring myself to do that as I love it dearly. Then again the whole reason I love it so much is why we are drawn to the GR86. Not the fastest but everything is raw and has much more driver feel in the climate of blisteringly fast but souless modern cars. Maybe that would also be the new Type R... Nearly got the current Type R a couple of years back when they were low £20k's but never went through with it. I would have made £10k driving it since then!
Honda have not announced the FL5 will be limited numbers like the 86. I don't see why any Honda dealer would not take your deposit.
I have £500 one one & apparently 4th on the list at my local dealers.
I did ask if being a current owner of an FK8 would increase my chances of getting an early car & was told no!
I see the power figures for the US was announced at Midnight - 315bhp
It still has to come in at under 40k for me to buy one.
 
I just approached my local Honda dealer and he said £500 refundable deposit to get on their list, although I am 8th place so not sure I’ll get one.

He was adamant there are only 300 coming to the U.K., I seem to recall reading similar in a press article. So it just depends on what allocation they are given.

But time will tell as my Toyota dealer said there was no limited numbers for the GR86
 
Will the pushing back from October to November be enough to skew some people to cancelling or delaying their order.

I drive my cars year round but for those of you that wanted one as a garage queen I imagine a November delivery doesn’t sit well
 
I've been debating changing colour to a white car, from black. I've not pulled the trigger on this as I don't know if I want to wait the extra year for the swap, but at this rate I might as well do it. :ROFLMAO:

I've also been tempted by a Yaris / Supra :unsure:
 
Will the pushing back from October to November be enough to skew some people to cancelling or delaying their order.

I drive my cars year round but for those of you that wanted one as a garage queen I imagine a November delivery doesn’t sit well
No, not at all. This is the only car which really ticks the boxes for me. I was interested in a Supra when they announced the manual, but I don't really think I can stretch to it, and it would be a comprise in other areas. It's bloody annoying, because I just want the car now. But it's a toy, so I will wait for it.

I also drive year round - just less so in the winter. Bit harder to get out for a Sunday morning drive when it's dark and miserable.
 
I'm not on the list for a GR86 but I do have a GR Yaris.

While I get people complaining about the dealers don't forget they are all franchises and if sales people are not getting commission they are not going to care.

Also, in terms of the wait, was talking to someone who works for the local Mercedes recently and it is up to a 24 month wait for a lot of their models. It's just the way it is at the moment.

Personally despite the problems I have read about I still applaud Toyota for making cars like the GR Yaris, GR86 and GR Supra. No other company is producing as many affordable sports cars. No doubt the sales for the GR86 should have been handled by dealers, hopefully they have learnt from that mistake.
Some sound points.

However, my experiences with 'my' dealer have been very positive. Good communication, regular updates, and (as much as they can bearing in mind the need to remain 'on brand' and toe the corporate line) a sharing of and empathy with the frustrations.

And an xx month wait is fine; it is s the lack of communication, obfuscation, and apparent disregard for paying customers which grates. A 24-month (for example) wait is fine, if this is what is communicated.
 
Back
Top