GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

Will the pushing back from October to November be enough to skew some people to cancelling or delaying their order.

I drive my cars year round but for those of you that wanted one as a garage queen I imagine a November delivery doesn’t sit well
230bhp on not very wide tyres in the snow.... more reason to take delivery not delay it surely? :LOL:
 
I've been debating changing colour to a white car, from black. I've not pulled the trigger on this as I don't know if I want to wait the extra year for the swap, but at this rate I might as well do it. :ROFLMAO:

I've also been tempted by a Yaris / Supra :unsure:
The manual Supra has caught my eye too. But I'm so close to delivery I think I can make the decision once I have the 86.
 
The manual Supra has caught my eye too. But I'm so close to delivery I think I can make the decision once I have the 86.
I'm going to try and find a Supra to test drive and then I'll have a much better comparison in my mind when (if?) the GR86 turns up.

I'd more likely buy a used auto I think over another wait for a new car!
 
Haha I echo the sentiment but I’m sure there are a few that would prefer to have their 86 tucked up for winter.
Yup, mine is to be my only car but due to the delays I've already had to service the old family wagon and it'll be MOT'd in October as well so might as well run that through the winter rather than the 86 now I'm sinking money into it (n)
 
Is anyone holding on as they think they’ll be able to flip and make a bit of money? If that wasn’t the case would they just go somewhere else as Toyota pissed them off?
 
I wonder if anyone was attracted to the car for its attributes but now thinking I don’t want it but will hold on to see if they charge a premium?
 
Is anyone holding on as they think they’ll be able to flip and make a bit of money? If that wasn’t the case would they just go somewhere else as Toyota pissed them off?
That’s where my head is currently tbh. Never thought about been a flipper but I am frustrated with the whole process I and not sure I could actually enjoy placing my hard earned coin over to ToyotaUK even for such car I have dreamed of getting since it was announced. Sure they will not lose sleep if I walk away as their is a line of other potential buyers.
I may have a chat about a potential deal to be had witg my local dealer would they be interested in buying it off me for a few quid over the rrp.
 
Apologies for the long-ish post. Here’s my current thinking.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY / TL/DR (delete according to preference/age): I’m probably going to cancel and there's some reasons why.

I’m going to ponder it over the weekend, but I’m very likely to cancel my order come next week. Here’s why.
  • Buying a car should be part of the enjoyment of the ownership experience. The selecting, the choosing, the ordering, the anticipation, the build-up. This hasn’t been any fun at all, from start to finish. It’s been a catalogue of ignorance, confusion, obfuscation, and downright lies in some cases.
  • It’s been impossible to plan around the acquisition of the car. To have literally no idea when the car will arrive five months after paying a thousand pounds is not good enough. Lots of people have their existing cars on PCP, and/or are unable to plan for servicing/maintenance/MOTs etc.
  • There appear to be significant reliability worries. I wanted a brand new, Japanese car this time to support the idea of trouble-free motoring.
  • Communications have been abysmal. Having to chase up information – to receive none – and then be advised to monitor social media for updates is inadequate customer service.
  • Service costs have leapt up, by 60-odd percent if I recall correctly. This appears to be rather devious practice.
  • I know it comes down to personal principles, but I don’t really want to give my money to a company which treats prospective customers with such apparent disregard.
Undercutting all this is that although I enjoyed my GT86 a decade ago, I think that I, my circumstances, and the world around us has changed over the last 10 years. A recent job change means that the car would spend most of its time sat at home or in a train station car park. Thirty grand is a lot to spend on a ‘toy’. I just don’t think I’m as ‘into’ cars as I used to be back in the day; years have passed since I subscribed to Evo magazine, watched Top Gear with anything remotely approaching enthusiasm, or attended any motor sport events.

Best of luck to anyone holding out for their car. Should I indeed cancel and then see one in the wild, I’m very likely to admire the tenacity and perseverance of the owner as much as the car itself.
 
Last edited:
Apologies for the long-ish post. Here’s my current thinking.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY / TL/DR (delete according to preference/age): I’m probably going to cancel and there's some reasons why.

I’m going to ponder it over the weekend, but I’m very likely to cancel my order come next week. Here’s why.
  • Buying a car should be part of the enjoyment of the ownership experience. The selecting, the choosing, the ordering, the anticipation, the build-up. This hasn’t been any fun at all, from start to finish. It’s been a catalogue of ignorance, confusion, obfuscation, and downright lies in some cases.
  • It’s been impossible to plan around the acquisition of the car. To have literally no idea when the car will arrive five months after paying a thousand pounds is not good enough. What lots of people have their existing cars on PCP, and/or are unable to plan for servicing/maintenance/MOTs etc.
  • There appear to be significant reliability worries. I wanted a brand new, Japanese car this time to support the idea of trouble-free motoring.
  • Communications have been abysmal. Having to chase up information – to receive none – and then be advised to monitor social media for updates is inadequate customer service.
  • Service costs have leapt up, by 60-odd percent if I recall correctly. This appears to be rather devious practice.
  • I know it comes down to personal principles, but I don’t really want to give my money to a company which treats prospective customers with such apparent disregard.
Undercutting all this is that although I enjoyed my GT86 a decade ago, I think that I, my circumstances, and the world around us has changed over the last 10 years. A recent job change means that the car would spend most of its time sat at home or in a train station car park. Thirty grand is a lot to spend on a ‘toy’. I just don’t think I’m as ‘into’ cars as I used to be back in the day; years have passed since I subscribed to Evo magazine, watched Top Gear with anything remotely approaching enthusiasm, or attended any motor sport events.

Best of luck to anyone holding out for their car. Should I indeed cancel and then see one in the wild, I’m very likely to admire the tenacity and perseverance of the owner as much as the car itself.
I’ve come to a similar conclusion. Just not happy with the entire process to date, I’m sure the car will be amazing and have an absolutely brilliant chassis but the powertrain issues are incredibly off putting and I thought to myself if this wasn’t a rare car would you actually now want it and the answer was no. Hopefully whoever gets mine will be a person who really wants one rather than a flipper!

I wonder what the CTR buying process will be like, there’s a lot of deposits down on them now and rumours of 300 cars.
I may stick around for a while anyway, this is one of the best car forums out there, like minded members and no hostility at all!
 
I’ve come to a similar conclusion. Just not happy with the entire process to date, I’m sure the car will be amazing and have an absolutely brilliant chassis but the powertrain issues are incredibly off putting and I thought to myself if this wasn’t a rare car would you actually now want it and the answer was no. Hopefully whoever gets mine will be a person who really wants one rather than a flipper!

I wonder what the CTR buying process will be like, there’s a lot of deposits down on them now and rumours of 300 cars.
I may stick around for a while anyway, this is one of the best car forums out there, like minded members and no hostility at all!
Here, here.....it is indeed a great forum. Thank you all!
 
Yeah -
Apologies for the long-ish post. Here’s my current thinking.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY / TL/DR (delete according to preference/age): I’m probably going to cancel and there's some reasons why.

I’m going to ponder it over the weekend, but I’m very likely to cancel my order come next week. Here’s why.
  • Buying a car should be part of the enjoyment of the ownership experience. The selecting, the choosing, the ordering, the anticipation, the build-up. This hasn’t been any fun at all, from start to finish. It’s been a catalogue of ignorance, confusion, obfuscation, and downright lies in some cases.
  • It’s been impossible to plan around the acquisition of the car. To have literally no idea when the car will arrive five months after paying a thousand pounds is not good enough. What lots of people have their existing cars on PCP, and/or are unable to plan for servicing/maintenance/MOTs etc.
  • There appear to be significant reliability worries. I wanted a brand new, Japanese car this time to support the idea of trouble-free motoring.
  • Communications have been abysmal. Having to chase up information – to receive none – and then be advised to monitor social media for updates is inadequate customer service.
  • Service costs have leapt up, by 60-odd percent if I recall correctly. This appears to be rather devious practice.
  • I know it comes down to personal principles, but I don’t really want to give my money to a company which treats prospective customers with such apparent disregard.
Undercutting all this is that although I enjoyed my GT86 a decade ago, I think that I, my circumstances, and the world around us has changed over the last 10 years. A recent job change means that the car would spend most of its time sat at home or in a train station car park. Thirty grand is a lot to spend on a ‘toy’. I just don’t think I’m as ‘into’ cars as I used to be back in the day; years have passed since I subscribed to Evo magazine, watched Top Gear with anything remotely approaching enthusiasm, or attended any motor sport events.

Best of luck to anyone holding out for their car. Should I indeed cancel and then see one in the wild, I’m very likely to admire the tenacity and perseverance of the owner as much as the car itself.
Spot on sir very similar to me….totally agree I was considering perhaps flipping mine but on balance that’s not me.
So on Monday I will make the call … another one been released back to folks are waiting who will hopefully enjoy the whole ownership experience. ”mine” has been in Derby for 10 weeks… so you may need to clean the bird poo off ☺️ And other detritus that has accrued to date. it’s a great forum so I will stick around if you folks don’t mine 🤫
 
Totally understand all the frustration and disappointment , I’m getting there too ☹️ After having great customer service from my local Toyota dealer on previous purchases , cutting them out of the sales process was the biggest mistake IMO. They have a vested interest in acquiring and keeping customer, building relationships and yes , making money, but they only do that with customers. My local dealership are totally out of the loop with what’s going on with the GR86, as are probably all of them. Lack of communication by Toyota U.K. is the worst aspect of this debacle, and ironically the easiest to fix 🤷‍♂️


My experience with considering a new Alfa Tonale as every day transport couldn’t be more different, pre launch 5 Italian registered LHD cars shipped to the U.K. , with a dedicated group of well informed sales people driving them around the U.K. and everyone who expressed an interest online invited to book a 45 minute local test drive, RHD test drive to be arranged as soon as demo cars arrive 👍😎
 
I still think it crazy that even now it's still been radio silence. When the press cars came and you saw them on social media, I felt excited again, a sort of rapport was starting and with the Spain test it was feeling more real and felt lucky to order one. Once it was in build and on the boat and I saw the VIN I knew it existed and it won't be much longer. But now the goalpost keeps moving and no reason why. I can't plan anything, can't sell what I have, can't book time off in work with any certainty, can't even buy a plate as you don't even know what year it's coming! The longer into winter it goes the harder it will be to get that first detail done on it, not to mention having it at the worst time of year. The final kick in the teeth will be if they delay to Jan/Feb, only a few weeks before the new plate is out, in theory devaluing them even quicker. We get them and there's a spec change we don't like, which I struggle to understand when the US have so many already.

I'm not cancelling. No doubt at this rate I'll be last man standing from those of us who got in on day one (and those a bit before) and I can totally understand those who do and I'm trying hard not to become black pilled by the whole experience. The main reason is because I don't have another option. If I don't get this then as much as it would kill my soul then I'd be done with cars. The deposit I have ready would go into the house, do the double glazing, go towards a solar solution. But that really is last resort and I don't think I could do it to myself. I've wanted a car like the 86 again for years, sacrificing car life for getting a house and other things. I miss having something to connect with and learn all about. I miss the social side of it too. I did say initially I'd avoid forums but I've enjoyed being back in one again. At least it's been somewhere to vent with like minded people.

I'm normally the first to mock compo culture but they really need to give us something for this. Free servicing for the term of the PCP would be good. Like many, when I ordered I costed servicing too and whether I could justify it. An almost 60% jump wasn't in my predictions and is the difference between trading the vRS in or keeping it.
 
I still think it crazy that even now it's still been radio silence. When the press cars came and you saw them on social media, I felt excited again, a sort of rapport was starting and with the Spain test it was feeling more real and felt lucky to order one. Once it was in build and on the boat and I saw the VIN I knew it existed and it won't be much longer. But now the goalpost keeps moving and no reason why. I can't plan anything, can't sell what I have, can't book time off in work with any certainty, can't even buy a plate as you don't even know what year it's coming! The longer into winter it goes the harder it will be to get that first detail done on it, not to mention having it at the worst time of year. The final kick in the teeth will be if they delay to Jan/Feb, only a few weeks before the new plate is out, in theory devaluing them even quicker. We get them and there's a spec change we don't like, which I struggle to understand when the US have so many already.

I'm not cancelling. No doubt at this rate I'll be last man standing from those of us who got in on day one (and those a bit before) and I can totally understand those who do and I'm trying hard not to become black pilled by the whole experience. The main reason is because I don't have another option. If I don't get this then as much as it would kill my soul then I'd be done with cars. The deposit I have ready would go into the house, do the double glazing, go towards a solar solution. But that really is last resort and I don't think I could do it to myself. I've wanted a car like the 86 again for years, sacrificing car life for getting a house and other things. I miss having something to connect with and learn all about. I miss the social side of it too. I did say initially I'd avoid forums but I've enjoyed being back in one again. At least it's been somewhere to vent with like minded people.

I'm normally the first to mock compo culture but they really need to give us something for this. Free servicing for the term of the PCP would be good. Like many, when I ordered I costed servicing too and whether I could justify it. An almost 60% jump wasn't in my predictions and is the difference between trading the vRS in or keeping it.
The decider for me with the i30N was the dealership experience, wish I’d had that with the Toyota and therefore an actual point of contact. Hyundai also knocked off a fair few grand despite the wait time and popularity and the first three services are included. Test drive was no bother and took it out for a fair bit of time, front end sharper than the pre facelift, more power in gear and although juvenile I forgot how rorty it sounded!

I do want the GR but Toyota have been less than forthcoming with information and the radio silence is a worry, what could be so bad that they won’t tell anyone? I’m shocked the press haven’t got a hold of it yet.
 
How much is servicing going to cost? Also has there been another delay? (Haven’t been checking in as much this last week or two so might have missed something on the threads)
Most cars have been pushed back to November now and servicing is £300 for a minor and £450 for a major. 😳
 
That’s insane, I think that might be the final nail in the coffin for my order. Is that to pay for them to take the sumps off and fix their cock ups at our expense? 🤦‍♂️
What do you expect inflation is going up by at least 10% pa. Porsche now charged £190per hour! It will be an expensive business to service any car think of all that electricity used in a car dealership !
 
Good morning all.

I don't say this lightly - I've never been one for contributing (or even reading much) internet forums,, but this place is superb and full of top people. It's been really helpful to engage with folk and thinking back I reckon I've have pretty much all of my information from here, rather than any official channels!

Whether I cancel or 'stick' (still not made a final decision - it's actually my other half is pushing for me to keep the order in cos I may regret missing my chance as it were), I'll certainly be hanging around.

Might just buy a Supra anyway.
 
Back
Top