GR Yaris (Gen 2) GR Yaris Mk2 (MY2024->)

I understand what you mean, but having ordered a GR Yaris 2 years ago and still waiting for the actual delivery (the car arrived last week at the dealer), it's pretty darn frustrating to finally receive a new car that is already 'an old model' before I even get the chance to start driving with it... 🥲

I understand how you feel, it's a very very long wait. You have been patient, but rest assured, you WILL enjoy and fall in love with the MK1. There are more than enough videos & tutorials out there to upgrade the car to whatever you plan to use it for.
 
@Tand this was one of the images released on Friday.

lineup_yaris_rr_image01.jpg

An apetizer for the MK2 GRMN ?
 
I had similar thoughts about the GRMN when I read about the additional chassis weld/adhesive. With the other upgrades I think this will be much quicker around a circuit, and with more headroom to tune the engine due to the additional cooling & strengthened internals. I have taken mine on track and plan to do more so as a pure track/driving car the upgrades make sense. But the front end is just so poorly styled. The lines are all wrong, even if it is more functional. That plus the almost certain to high price still makes me think I’m sticking with the first gen car. If I want a purely track focused car in future I would probably go with something like a caterham/atom (budget permitting) but I do think the new GRY will be very good on track.

Also a nomenclature needs to be agreed for this model.
So far I’ve seen:
-Gen1/gen 2
-Mark 1/mark 2

Imo it’s a mark 1.5 as this is a facelift not a new version but I realise that just adds a 3rd option!

For an entirely track use car, get an MK Indy RR or Cup 200. Really cheap compared to a Caterham or similar track weapon, heaps of fun and cheap DIY maintenance. Also very reliable.
 
It’s coming to Estonia (excuse the bad English translations by insta). First cars will arrive in autumn. I’ll be sticking with my newly arriving MK1 as it’s more than enough for kindergarten run and the odd b road blast. I do love the grey on the MK2 though.

Yes I agree that that particular shade of grey suits the car very well. Can be achieved with a good quality wrap on the MK1 though !
 
The deal-breaker for me with the upcoming MK2 is going to be how intrusive the driver assists are. It's surprisingly easy for these features to ruin a good car.

The thing that's bugged me the most about the MK1 since day one is how you can't permanently turn off most of the assists, unless you go for some questionable dongle from eBay. It's incredibly frustrating. If the MK2 comes with even more of these assists that can't be disabled or are tougher to turn off, then I'll be more than happy to stick with what I have. Unlike the new M2 and Civic Type R, where you can easily disable these features and don't have to push a bunch of buttons every time you start the car.

I understand that these assists are required by regulations and can be useful for some, but personally, I'd love to be able to disable all of them. I hate them with a passion. To me, a true "driver's car" shouldn't have any computer interference, no matter how minimal.

In the beginning I had the car I was annoyed by having to push all those buttons to de-activate EVERYTHING. But then reading your post I just realized I got used to it. It only requires about a minute or so to do it all while the car is warming up. No hassle there, We can consider ourselves lucky that they provided the feature to allow us to de-activate all the assists.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, circuit pack MK1 is costing me 43k.. Which is considerably less than all the dull family wagons my wife was choosing for me at the time of order! haha

The new car tax coming to EE is the scary part if its a long wait again.. Another reason to stick with new MK1.

How is yours coping with the recent cold spell?

This car LOVES cold weather !
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sam
I might be the only person alive who loves the pumped-in engine sound in the MK1, lol.

Actually, I wish it was louder. I have no desire for an aftermarket exhaust because, to me, they all sound like a fart cans.

pumped sound > fart can

Nope, you are not the only one to like the artificial engine sound. What I like is that from the outside nobody hears you coming, doesn't attract attention from the car-hater eco-terrorists we have here in France, nor does it attract attention from the "Gendarmes" either ! Drove past some the other day posted on the side of a round-about, they didn't even look at me !
 
Talking about the cost of the Mk2, I'm in the UK at the moment and Sixt have given me a Vauxhall Crossland 1.2 110ps to tool about in for the week.

This car costs about GBP 27,000 new, so about EUR 31,500, and is, without exaggerating in the slightest, irredeemably shit.

Seriously.

Makes any GR Yaris this side of EUR 50,000 look like a bargain.
 
Talking about the cost of the Mk2, I'm in the UK at the moment and Sixt have given me a Vauxhall Crossland 1.2 110ps to tool about in for the week.

This car costs about GBP 27,000 new, so about EUR 31,500, and is, without exaggerating in the slightest, irredeemably shit.

Seriously.

Makes any GR Yaris this side of EUR 50,000 look like a bargain.
This. With the current costs of new cars even with a price hike the Gr Yaris and updated version are a bargain in my eyes for what you are getting.
 
you need to order JPN variants via Sweden. I think new RC would be sweet. if it lacks ISA - of course. ISA reminds of international space assosiciation - maybe these rules are planned in space.

Instead of speeding, cars should follow the driver that person doesn't use cell phone or laptop while driving. Doing something else is much more dangerous than actual speeding. ugh, I've spoken. The strange approach in this legistlation seems to be quite common.

I think the biggest danger is modern cars with huge touch screens, where they put vital controls like AC or even wiper controls on a freaking touch screen.
I don't understand how that's approved.
 
My first car was a Nissan pulsar GtiR, these are moments where I wish Nissan and other manufacturers would take note of toyotas success and compete with an awesome product. The yaris reminds me of my first car, 20 years on an I never got over it haha (that's why I'm purchasing)
 
On a slight change of discussion.. For anyone who doesn’t like the dash of the mk2, it looks like other options were maybe tested. Has anyone seen the interior of the Toyota WRT Recce cars.. They use a mk1 car but look at the positioning of the infotainment screeen..

IMG_0635.webp
 
On a slight change of discussion.. For anyone who doesn’t like the dash of the mk2, it looks like other options were maybe tested. Has anyone seen the interior of the Toyota WRT Recce cars.. They use a mk1 car but look at the positioning of the infotainment screeen..
In one video Takamoto Katsuta was talking about the interior with one of the engineers and said something like this: "There has been a lot of discussion about the interior desing and some people don't like it but knowing the gr team I'm sure you(talking to the engineer) do something about it." I can't remember how he said it exactly but something like that. Maybe they still have time to improve the looks or do it later. I think it probably looks much better in real life, it already looks better in videos and when all the lights and screen is on.
 
The people that make these rules are not drivers.
Odd as it may seem, to the vast majority, cars are transportation, not driver tools. They would rather not have to drive or think when doing it.

And roads need to be safe, they are part of a transportation system. A lot of people that speed aren't drivers nor physicists, common denominator is probably that they are time optimists... A lot of people speed not aware of their speed, their surroundings, their cars handling at such speeds and they are thinking about their next meeting or what to buy when they arrive etc. It's all on good hope...

Young people that speed are Dunning-Krueger, they are unaware of their ignorance of their total lack of driving skill and/or risk assesment.

I agree on mobile phone use, a new ill, and I deeply dislike touchscreens.
But those truths don't negate that speeding is a thing too. No it doesn't cause accidents per se (sometimes it does, e.g. by simply not being able to stop), but the size of consequences have an incredible strong correlation to the speed at which accidents happen. And people will always make mistakes, so how large are the consequences we are willing to accept. In the past, very large. Traffic has long been one of the biggest killers and still is in many places in the world for people below 30-40.

ISA experiments have been ongoing a long time, it is the governenence equivalent of self-driving, something that hasn't happened yet but much anticipated by a lot of car users (not "drivers") on their boring traffic jam ridden commute. Of which there would be less and singnicantly increase traffic flow if there were smart self driving/speed assist thingies. Traffic researchers have been dreaming of such for ages...

All of this does not fit a car like the Mk2, but were talking about 0,002% of all cars in the world if they sell more then ten thousand in europe/UK... Drivers' cars (not the same as sporty image cars that sell) are also an incredibly small portion in the Big Picture.

That is why it is amazing something like the mk2 is made even today, at the same time making your hobby of a transportation system is going to conflict, take your hobby elsewhere is the big picture, but we try to resist ... And it is still possible but increasingly harder. It's like train enthusaists debating if 4 or 6 phase engines are best, the average train user isn't even in the same solar system in their thoughts....

Some ramblings of Onehp that after many many years has realised most people aren't engineers or drivers 😘
 
Last edited:
I think the biggest danger is modern cars with huge touch screens, where they put vital controls like AC or even wiper controls on a freaking touch screen.
I don't understand how that's approved.
I drove a polestar2 a few years back with Google as the OS. For anything non safety you could just say “hey Google turn heated wheel on” “turn car to 21deg”. Whilst I know there are some who hate any form of tech I found it great for keeping my eyes on the road.
 
Back
Top