GR Yaris ðŸ‘Ž Negatives - what annoys, disappoints, puzzles and generally irks you about the GR Yaris?

Yaris San

Dedicated member
Dec 18, 2021
quick note in ref to LED light. the emitted light from a light emitting diode is slightly outside of a humans eye light spectrum meaning visual intelligence is not ideal.

Human eyes observe more information in a 'warmer' light spectrum, so ultimately the LED is brighter but relays less information back to human retina

can you guess why manufacturers would fit a less efficient light in a scenario that demands good visual information and
why almost all lighting is going over to LED, household, streets, traffic lights and more

Duke

Totally Hooked
Dec 27, 2021
quick note in ref to LED light. the emitted light from a light emitting diode is slightly outside of a humans eye light spectrum meaning visual intelligence is not ideal.

Human eyes observe more information in a 'warmer' light spectrum, so ultimately the LED is brighter but relays less information back to human retina

can you guess why manufacturers would fit a less efficient light in a scenario that demands good visual information and
why almost all lighting is going over to LED, household, streets, traffic lights and more
That’s as maybe, but it doesn’t explain why the LEDs on my Audi are stunningly good and the Yaris’s are crap :)

Reactions: GRandemakina

Steve

Totally Hooked
Dec 7, 2021
Llanedi, Carmarthenshire
Important to remember that whilst the GR Yaris was £30-£34,400 new, the lights are from the standard Yaris, a fairly budget supermini. They’re not going to compete with a C-class hatchback or a £100k sports car.

Mine are mostly compared with a 20 year old Clio and a 2020 Ford Kuga. The Clio’s headlights are like a couple of Victorian mice housed in the lamps carrying a candle up to bed.

The Kuga’s are slightly better, but the rest of the car is rubbish and it’s getting traded in for a RAV4 at the weekend. It’s a plug-in hybrid but despite being left plugged in all night will decide to drain its 12V battery for no reason whatsoever. The battery is in the boot and there is no way of opening the tailgate with a flat battery. So you have to climb in from the back with the seats down pulling the massive boot floor over your head to get a jumper pack on it. According to Ford it’s perfectly fine, nothing wrong with it. We are never buying another Ford, ever.

Kaxe

Obsessed member
Dec 17, 2021
Important to remember that whilst the GR Yaris was £30-£34,400 new, the lights are from the standard Yaris, a fairly budget supermini. They’re not going to compete with a C-class hatchback or a £100k sports car.

Mine are mostly compared with a 20 year old Clio and a 2020 Ford Kuga. The Clio’s headlights are like a couple of Victorian mice housed in the lamps carrying a candle up to bed.

The Kuga’s are slightly better, but the rest of the car is rubbish and it’s getting traded in for a RAV4 at the weekend. It’s a plug-in hybrid but despite being left plugged in all night will decide to drain its 12V battery for no reason whatsoever. The battery is in the boot and there is no way of opening the tailgate with a flat battery. So you have to climb in from the back with the seats down pulling the massive boot floor over your head to get a jumper pack on it. According to Ford it’s perfectly fine, nothing wrong with it. We are never buying another Ford, ever.
Yeah I've had no problem with the GR Yaris headlights... :confused:
Yeah Ford have lost their way! :rolleyes: :cry:

Reactions: Steve and Ecsrobin

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Lights are great... For a supermini intended to be used in mostly built-up areas.

High beam works fine too.... When driving mostly straight and slowing down to 'normal person driving speed' when taking turns.

Rally cars have a whole array of additional lights, bit much to expect the same to be standard on a in comparison seriously budget capped Yaris?

Reactions: Ecsrobin

Kaxe

Obsessed member
Dec 17, 2021
Even more so since they've decided to go full-on EV in the next few years.
If I could and was looking for one last Ford and money wasn't a problem I'd get that Ranger Raptor 3L V6 petrol as a last hurrah then! :cry: 👌

kinboshi

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
Rutland
Lights are great... For a supermini intended to be used in mostly built-up areas.

High beam works fine too.... When driving mostly straight and slowing down to 'normal person driving speed' when taking turns.

Rally cars have a whole array of additional lights, bit much to expect the same to be standard on a in comparison seriously budget capped Yaris?
The lights are fine on normal roads, in normal conditions.

It's when the car is on dark, country roads, with all sorts of kamikaze wildlife at the roadside waiting for their time in the limelight (headlight) - that's when the car can outperform the lights. They just don't seem to carry far enough into the distance. I don't think the car is breaking the laws of special relativity or anything (it's not quite that fast), but I'd like to see just that little bit further...

Darren

Fascinated Member
Dec 6, 2021
The lights are 50M behind the car when driving "flat out". They are fine most of the time, but down some B roads, in the depths of winter, they are simply not good enough.

The LED lights on my Fiesta ST were like mini sun's. I wish the GR had those lights. They were perfect for that type of driving. In a car that cost 10K less.

You can fix this problem with a light bar fitted behind the grill.

Reactions: kinboshi and Onehp

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Well, that’s a novel one. Never noticed it myself
Same. Maybe the opposite is meant, a low rpm and clutch down, the throttle pedal can be a bit unresponsive, needing a lot of travel to get it to rev up... and I do just that....

GRgrampa

Totally Hooked
Dec 18, 2021
S. Wales
Same. Maybe the opposite is meant, a low rpm and clutch down, the throttle pedal can be a bit unresponsive, needing a lot of travel to get it to rev up... and I do just that....
I've noticed that as well and find it quite annoying. I guess you would need an aftermarket ecu to change the throttle mapping to overcome it.