GR86 The number plate thread

That's a great idea Wrobz, I think I'll go down that route (if I can figure where to get one)
Same - looks like a great idea. If it's a JP only order thing then bulk buy to save on postage for 1?
 
Oh great well done, I'd be keen on one as well if anyone finds a route to buy.

Not sure if Toyota do it, but I've ordered JDM Honda parts from a dealer before no trouble.
 
Sounds like the best idea so far, I'd be up for a group buy (y)
 
As long as you keep the plate 111mm / 4.4" tall, the letters will be the right size.

Small for front, standard size rear as below for my GR86's plate for example:

View attachment 4900

Annoyingly, on a 6 digit plate it looks like the minimum width needs to be 406 to keep the height standard... probably still easiest to fit it to a cut down JDM plinth though? :unsure:
 
Slightly concerning photo off a Swiss car with the number plate box removed? Hopefully we dont get those gaping holes on ours?!

SFFJ5wAk.jpg


6L55J2ty.jpg


Taken from this Pistonheads thread: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1983456&i=440

They same very keen for you to keep two threaded mounting points at the front, even transferring them to the plate holder. I wonder what they're for. They're not for the plate as they're far too high up.

Edit: Scratch that...just looked at a couple of used cars on my local dealer's site and that's exactly what they're for.
 
Last edited:
Not related to actual number plate numbers - but more the plate design itself.

Am planning to get a JDM style square plate for my GR86 (whenever it arrives!) but it’d be nice to get a GR logo on the plate somewhere (maybe as part of the border?), but making sure its still all legal of course.

Anyone come across any plate manufacturers that do something like this? Am sure have seen other plates with M logos, AMG etc. but not seen a GR one?
 
Hey guys,

This is the first time i've bought a brand new car, and hav'nt gone for a private reg before so pretty green to all this...

Questions:
- If not going private, When do you get "offered" to choose your new cars plate?
- If I wanted to go for something private, when can I buy one? and when can I assign that plate to my new car? Assuming I need a VIN?
- When buying a plate, can I use lettering or area codes outside the registration jurisdiction? For e.g, borrowing a "GR" area code for obvious reasons even though the car will be fist registered in Warwickshire

Cheers!

Also would be very interested in getting a JDM sized plate, If all MOT friendly?
 
Toyota GB said all cars will be registered with them and not your dealer so won't be local. You don't get offered a plate but the system does apparently try and use your name for last 3. Not guaranteed though.

If you want a private plate, that's fine and when you buy one on DVLA Registrations, etc you get the docs which you email over to Toyota and they'll sort it.
 
Toyota GB said all cars will be registered with them and not your dealer so won't be local. You don't get offered a plate but the system does apparently try and use your name for last 3. Not guaranteed though.

If you want a private plate, that's fine and when you buy one on DVLA Registrations, etc you get the docs which you email over to Toyota and they'll sort it.
Huh. That's interesting. Me and my girlfriend were just speculating the other night on what the prefix would be for our area, but I guess they are all going to end up as "GX" like the press cars then.
 
@Neil_C
-If you are not supplying a private plate you wont get a choice of reg, you will get what toyota provide without any input.
-You can purchase a plate anytime you want on sites like DVLA personalised Registrations. Once purchased provide the information to Toyota before delivery and they can attach that plate to your car.
- Area codes won't matter, and website you purchase from will list any restrictions, normally based around the age of the vehicle you are attaching the plate to.


Very clean example here, would be great if we can purchase these mounts

1665753913200.png

Instagram link
 
Last edited:
@Neil_C
-If you are not supplying a private plate you wont get a choice of reg, you will get what toyota provide without any input.
AH ok, I've had some tell me I'll get to choose from a shortlist of generic 'available plates' come registration time? Doesn't make much of a difference I suppose.

Assuming once you have your plate bought / registered, you can try and purchase different styles / sizes of plates from 3rd parties?

Yeah thats a lovely example alright. Would be very keen to get that type of mount with a smaller / JDM style plate.
 
AH ok, I've had some tell me I'll get to choose from a shortlist of generic 'available plates' come registration time? Doesn't make much of a difference I suppose.

Assuming once you have your plate bought / registered, you can try and purchase different styles / sizes of plates from 3rd parties?

Yeah thats a lovely example alright. Would be very keen to get that type of mount with a smaller / JDM style plate.
If you’re buying directly from a dealership, they tend to have a group of registration numbers that they can use and you’ll often get a choice of them but as the cars we’ve bought are getting the PDI and registration done centrally in Derby, I doubt that will be the case and we’ll just get whatever (providing you aren’t getting it registered on a private plate).

In terms of physical number plates, yes, once you have the relevant documents, you can get third parties to make the plates for you. Obviously these are fairly regulated and new standards have been released recently so I’d make sure what you want is legal and where you’re getting them from is reputable to stop any unwanted trouble in the future.
 
This Italian review shows a badly fitting short plate on the standard Euro front mount.

D336EEF6-A776-42E9-91CF-E8540F49079F.webp


I’ve ordered a US spec (12”x6”) front number plate mount so hopefully can make it shallower to fit our UK plates.

The plate I am fitting is 355 x 111mm.

Will post some photos when it arrives.
 
Very clean example here, would be great if we can purchase these mounts

View attachment 8678
Instagram link
I asked japanparts.com if they could source the jdm reg back plate but no luck,
Subaru couldn't find a part number and Toyota was unresponsive.
I have watched a couple of japanese customer cars being delivered on youtube and this part is definitely standard link
I refuse to give up for now, it looks like it could be the best fit my 5 letter reg.
 
I asked japanparts.com if they could source the jdm reg back plate but no luck,
Subaru couldn't find a part number and Toyota was unresponsive.
I have watched a couple of japanese customer cars being delivered on youtube and this part is definitely standard link
I refuse to give up for now, it looks like it could be the best fit my 5 letter reg.
Yes! I want one as well for my 5 letter reg. May still need some modification but much less than anything else I've seen.


Please post if you find a route to buy one.
 
Back
Top