GR86 Second UK Batch?

Andyoz

Feb 7, 2023
My friend is currently taking a ride in this demo and the (Belfast) Toyota dealer said they think there's another batch of 1200 going to be released?

GT86.jpeg

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
I'm afraid the dealer is talking nonsense. If the UK did manage to secure another allocation of cars, it won't be 3 times the size of the original one (with 16 months left to deliver them all). I imagine if we were lucky enough to see some more, it would only be a handful and they will be allocated to a lucky few on the waiting list.

Conscript

Totally Hooked
Apr 20, 2022
Kent, UK
Still, it's a crying shame more aren't coming. Toyota have played a blinder by being one of the only manufacturers to produce a fun car aimed at enthusiasts, at a price that enthusiasts can actually afford, but then limit the numbers so much that it ends up being rarer than some limited edition supercars. What a bittersweet irony :/

Reactions: doogle83

Dodger

Dedicated member
Dec 24, 2021
South West
When I had a test drive last week I was also told there may be another small batch coming to the UK, they said dealerships are not allowed to sell the demo cars yet for this reason.

Reactions: Andyoz

--Rage--

Totally Hooked
Apr 19, 2022
West Sussex
Pure speculation but could make sense considering the ridiculous amount of demo cars to actual orders. If true, I doubt it would as high as 1200 tbh.

Wonder if it will impact the flippers market selling price if the list price shot up by £5k.

Andyoz

Feb 7, 2023
When I had a test drive last week I was also told there may be another small batch coming to the UK, they said dealerships are not allowed to sell the demo cars yet for this reason.

Yes, I thinks the line he was spun....well actually not as no idea where they got the 1200 number from !!!

KobayashiMaru86

Totally Hooked
Apr 14, 2022
Swansea, Wales
My dealer had told others (not me but via a friend who knows someone who works there) similar. I think it's bitterness. While it could be true they were in the dark seemingly more than anyone.

Reactions: Andyoz

Seano1878

Totally Hooked
Apr 13, 2022
Manchester
I doubt it’s due to bitterness, more wishful thinking. I miss the days when a car was released and no matter how good it was it could then be bought at a year or two old and you’d pay 25-30% below list. We didn’t know we were in the good times tbh.

I hope another allocation comes along, I’ve test driven a Cayman GTS 4.0 now and the gearing means you’re at illegal speeds before you snatch third, brilliant to drive but frustrating to know the potential and be so limited. I’d buy a new GR at 35k but I won’t let a scalper make a drink off me.

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
I doubt it’s due to bitterness, more wishful thinking. I miss the days when a car was released and no matter how good it was it could then be bought at a year or two old and you’d pay 25-30% below list. We didn’t know we were in the good times tbh.

I hope another allocation comes along, I’ve test driven a Cayman GTS 4.0 now and the gearing means you’re at illegal speeds before you snatch third, brilliant to drive but frustrating to know the potential and be so limited. I’d buy a new GR at 35k but I won’t let a scalper make a drink off me.
Well put. I bought my GT86 for a touch under 22k (list price was 27k) I had dealers competing for my business. Oh how times have changed!

Andyoz

Feb 7, 2023
Hi Andy. You're lurking on here too?!

1200 more sounds like a lot to shift in 12 months when the original run was only around 400-500 and are only slowly being delivered.
Hi Yes!!
You had a Cayman R right?

I'd love a GR86 to go with my porker

James-UK

Totally Hooked
Apr 16, 2022
Lincolnshire
Still, it's a crying shame more aren't coming. Toyota have played a blinder by being one of the only manufacturers to produce a fun car aimed at enthusiasts, at a price that enthusiasts can actually afford, but then limit the numbers so much that it ends up being rarer than some limited edition supercars. What a bittersweet irony :/

I mean personally to me that's great. Makes this car rarer, resale value is better. Plus, I hate common cars... I deliberately always choose the path less trodden.

When I was a kid/teenager everyone was Fiesta STs and Focus STs.... I went left ball with the Peugeot 208 GTI Prestige...
It's not even a case of being like "ohhh you're so edgy, becareful you don't cut yourself"

But more I just like being the only one on the road in my car... or one of a few. Because lets face it, 95% of all cars look identical nowadays. They've lost what makes them unique and all are just curves in some form of SUV shape... or saloon. They're all just so ubiquitous and lack imagination, this is different.

I personally hope we don't get any more.

Makes it crap for us if our cars getting written off... but lets hope not *touch wood*.

Ecsrobin

Totally Hooked
Dec 14, 2021
Because lets face it, 95% of all cars look identical nowadays.

I personally hope we don't get any more.

Makes it crap for us if our cars getting written off... but lets hope not *touch wood*.

I guess on this point though to your average person they don’t see GR or GT they just see 86 still a relatively unique car but not as rare to the average person as to us enthusiasts.

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
I’d be honest - a big component of desirability of this car for me is in its rarity!
I mean personally to me that's great. Makes this car rarer, resale value is better. Plus, I hate common cars... I deliberately always choose the path less trodden.

It makes me feel uneasy. What is some numpty writes it off? Imagine trying to get hold of a replacement.