GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

I think we need to remember the world has changed quite a bit recently…..no one is paying £10k over list for one of these. Buy it to enjoy it….can’t see a couple of £k changing anyones life much long term! The real value will be in driving and ownership.
Be interesting to see if the used car market returns to normal at any point soon… and if any early order’s go up for sale. I’m back of the queue so nothing for me to worry about.

Was considering using the GR86 as a stepping stone to a Supra if there was a decent profit to be made but the more I read the more I think I may just keep the GR86. I imagine it’ll be a car I regret selling.
 
I think we need to remember the world has changed quite a bit recently…..no one is paying £10k over list for one of these. Buy it to enjoy it….can’t see a couple of £k changing anyones life much long term! The real value will be in driving and ownership.
Lots of people have saved an awful lot of money over the past 3 years. If you're an employer of a dozen people in an industry that had severe restrictions placed on it during lockdowns, you're probably finding it difficult to get back on your feet. If you're a middle class couple of salaried office workers that were furloughed however, you saved so much money in lockdowns that you could well be embarrassed about telling your friends how easy you have it. It really has treated people very differently.
 
Man I really wanted furlough. You don't know how much I begged my manager every day. I even offered him 10 percent paid monthly into his PayPal but no dice :(
 
Man I really wanted furlough. You don't know how much I begged my manager every day. I even offered him 10 percent paid monthly into his PayPal but no dice :(
I worked at home through lockdown. Yet I had so many friends furloughed earning most of their salary for being at home. They did all the DIY jobs they were putting off. Must admit I was a bit jealous until I heard it could impact your credit rating. I remortgaged last year and first question was ‘did you get get furloughed?’ 🤷‍♂️
 
And yet there were many, including myself, that didn't get furlough or the novelty of working from home, as the services we provided kept society from collapsing.

:rolleyes:
 
Cancelled my order last week. Car has just arrived in Derby so someone on the waiting list for an electric blue is about to get a nice suprise.
I wonder how that works - will it get allocated to the next electric blue in the queue or someone on an official 'waiting' list ? I hope it's the former!
 

Another sign of the end times of cheap performance cars.. I mean the newest MK8.5 ST is hardly cheap compared to when the MK8 was introduced a few years back. It’s a different world though and with its upcoming demise what is left new under 30k? i20N, Polo GTi, GR cars are sold out, new ND MX5 refresh can be optioned up to £32k for a manual!

I have to admit a mid teens lightly used ND MX5 with a BBR Super 220 kit and some handling mods is really stuck in my head at the moment. Enough for me to have booked a test drive in a 2.0 manual.
 
MX-5 in top Homura spec, manual gearbox with a paint option is £35,370 :oops:
I looked at them about 4-5 years ago and the deals were brilliant at that time, I’m sure the list price was nearly ten grand less. Same has happened to the i30N and many other cars.

If Toyota UK had marketed the 86 from the start as a 400 car run they would have sold them in less time for £35k plus.. easy!
 
I bought my MX5 not long after the ND was launched, top spec car excluding the NAV and it was around £25k and that was coming up to 7 years ago when I took delivery. Big jump to £35k in that time.
 
At the time of ordering mine, it was around £25,600 (for the soft top 2.0 184 sport nav), I got about £1.5k off from the dealer and another £2k as a finance deposit allowance so only really paid a hair over £22k. At that point, it was fantastic value! I don't know if I'd pay £32k for it now though...

I've been offered £17,300 for it from an online retailer so it will unfortunately be going at the weekend because if I sell it any later, MX-5s tend to plummet in value for winter and I don't want that so it looks like I'll be without a car until the 86 arrives.
 
At the time of ordering mine, it was around £25,600 (for the soft top 2.0 184 sport nav), I got about £1.5k off from the dealer and another £2k as a finance deposit allowance so only really paid a hair over £22k. At that point, it was fantastic value! I don't know if I'd pay £32k for it now though...

I've been offered £17,300 for it from an online retailer so it will unfortunately be going at the weekend because if I sell it any later, MX-5s tend to plummet in value for winter and I don't want that so it looks like I'll be without a car until the 86 arrives.
Were you ever tempted to take it to BBR? I can’t get the idea of one as a second car out of my head.
 
At the time of ordering mine, it was around £25,600 (for the soft top 2.0 184 sport nav), I got about £1.5k off from the dealer and another £2k as a finance deposit allowance so only really paid a hair over £22k. At that point, it was fantastic value! I don't know if I'd pay £32k for it now though...
Discounts aside, £25,600 in 2015 adjusted for inflation is £31,683.56 today apparently so not miles apart in reality.
 

Another sign of the end times of cheap performance cars.. I mean the newest MK8.5 ST is hardly cheap compared to when the MK8 was introduced a few years back. It’s a different world though and with its upcoming demise what is left new under 30k? i20N, Polo GTi, GR cars are sold out, new ND MX5 refresh can be optioned up to £32k for a manual!

I have to admit a mid teens lightly used ND MX5 with a BBR Super 220 kit and some handling mods is really stuck in my head at the moment. Enough for me to have booked a test drive in a 2.0 manual.
This is very nice for GR86 money
 
Back
Top