GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

mjscall

Dedicated member
Dec 14, 2021
For sure

Bank loans I'm guessing will be less accessible now too so the used car market will slump and slow dramatically I suspect

I don't think the used car market will slump that dramatically as a whole
The issues of high % impacts all car purchases, so will reduce the supply of used cars massively, keeping the prices up.
And as a lot of people are on time limited PCP deals etc there is always a demand to change.

What you will see imo is a huge change in what cars people can actually afford, and a big drop off of premium vehicle sales (new and used)

The rate rises will hit all but top few %, so even the top end of the middle class will be downsize/downspeccing like everyone else.
As always the 'rich' will be completely insulated from the whole thing, with low volume high value cars carrying on basically as normal.

I'd expect that what will happen for the market as a whole, is that demand will focus a couple of tiers lower on the model range than it does currently for most brands, and 'budget' options like Dacia/Kia etc will gain LOTS of market share.

For the long term, it will depend on the stability of rates as to if the manufacturers actually lower the prices or change model specs etc.

D

Deleted member 534

Guests
The GR86 and to some extent the GRY won't depreciate at all. The over inflated used range rovers and German cars will though.

Reactions: doogle83 and Al4n

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
The RRP of new cars has rocketed of the last few years, IMO due to very low interest rates and PCP as very few people actually
”own” their car anymore. Most folk were/are only interested in the “monthly payment“ , never any intention of keeping the car after the PCP is up. I‘ve no idea what the used car market will do over the next few years but we are heading into interesting times , if you like rough seas 🤔

Reactions: ZN8

Darrellium

Devoted member
May 17, 2022
Worcestershire
Has anyone had any type of offer from the dealer for their car? Mine is in the UK now on its way to the dealer and I'm not sure whether to cancel or attempt the flip.

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
The RRP of new cars has rocketed of the last few years, IMO due to very low interest rates and PCP as very few people actually
”own” their car anymore. Most folk were/are only interested in the “monthly payment“ , never any intention of keeping the car after the PCP is up. I‘ve no idea what the used car market will do over the next few years but we are heading into interesting times , if you like rough seas 🤔
Car ownership has changed so much, I think even PCP will dwindle away. EVs will push us even further away from ownership and further into leasing as they are so expensive. I remember speaking to guy I worked with who bought a Range Rover Velar, the sales manager told him 80% of what they sell are leased.

Reactions: AndyRC

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
Car ownership has changed so much, I think even PCP will dwindle away. EVs will push us even further away from ownership and further into leasing as they are so expensive. I remember speaking to guy I worked with who bought a Range Rover Velar, the sales manager told him 80% of what they sell are leased.
I recall there was talk of Toyota not wanting to “sell” the bZ4X but try and get folk into leasing, presumably so they control the market 🤷‍♂️

GR86

Devoted member
Apr 3, 2022
Has anyone had any type of offer from the dealer for their car? Mine is in the UK now on its way to the dealer and I'm not sure whether to cancel or attempt the flip.
I don’t think any dealer would pay more than rrp. Put it on autotrader for £34,995 and see what happens.

Reactions: Darrellium

JonBon

Obsessed member
Apr 23, 2022
East Sussex

You will own nothing and you will be happy… lol

grzoostuff

Obsessed member
Apr 20, 2022
UK North East
I don’t think any dealer would pay more than rrp. Put it on autotrader for £34,995 and see what happens.
£5k on top seems to be the going rate for the GRY so seems about right, although there are only 400 GR86 so not sure if that would make it more....