GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

Let alone the fact that so many people will be looking for one (y)
One person off the waiting list will be happy to get a car I've decided I don't want, I wasn't buying it to make money and the fun's gone out of it for me. Simple as that.
I might feel differently when they're selling for £40k but I never was that good with investments...
 
One person off the waiting list will be happy to get a car I've decided I don't want, I wasn't buying it to make money and the fun's gone out of it for me. Simple as that.
I might feel differently when they're selling for £40k but I never was that good with investments...
No worries, I got my GRY 3 months early because someone canceled so I know how that feels (y)
 
Well, I've just emailed Toyota Online to ask them how I cancel my order.

I echo previous messages (especially Luddite) and have found the whole process to be really disheartening.

However, this forum has been great and I was really looking forward to meeting with some like-minded people and comparing horror stories / amazing buying experiences :ROFLMAO:

I'm now the very happy owner of a MK3.5 (or NC2) MX5 because of this forum, so things have still turned out well! Can I put a GR-Zoo sticker on it, I wonder :unsure:

Cheers and good luck getting your cars and enjoying them for years to come.
Glad to hear your enjoying the MX5 :)
 
I’m thinking I need something a bit more practical as a second car. We have a 7 seater that my wife drives and loves. My car will occasionally need to take 2 kids out comfortably, I’ve looked at a GT86 and they are tiny in the back.

I am potentially on the list for a new Type R but given there are only 300 coming in to U.K. I doubt I’ll get one. Plus I keep finding myself looking at an i30N Performance.

The good thing is that I have until 2024 before I get the GR86 so can see what the market is doing.

I almost feel like it’s a perfect 3rd car, for the times I just go out just for me to blow off the cobwebs. But justifying a third car is crazy, especially given the current price hikes.
 
Glad to hear your enjoying the MX5 :)
Loving it thanks, even the dog enjoyed it today.
IMG20220829123142.webp

Although it's going to take me ages to get all his hairs out of it, so he's not going in again!
 
I’m test driving a facelift i30N on Sunday, going to try both manual and auto. May order one as it’d be a May/June delivery. Will hopefully get a go in a demo GR86 before then.. I’d also appreciate some more clarity from Toyota but that might be wishful thinking!
 
I'm still wrestling with the decision to cancel or not, totally fed up with the whole purchase experience which for me has sucked every last bit of enjoyment from the buying of a new car.
The awful communication from Toyota coupled with the delayed deliveries and rumours about engine problems etc have left me wondering if it's worth it.
Problem is as a new car it has no real rivals at the price, so if I cancel I've either got to up my budget or buy used, so for now my order stays in unless something else catches my eye, if we ever get to try a demo maybe that may help to decide whether to wait or chuck the towel in .
 
I'm still wrestling with the decision to cancel or not, totally fed up with the whole purchase experience which for me has sucked every last bit of enjoyment from the buying of a new car.

I'm with you, brother (or sister, or just 'Bonzo'!).

Like you, I have spent far too long stewing on this one, and I know there's only one outcome that makes sense for me.

I will never fly RyanAir. I'm sure plenty of people find a way to make that work for them, or they adjust their expectations, or it's the only way to get to that lovely provincial town in rural Estonia. But nothing about that company appeals to me. They regard their customers with utter contempt, actively seeking ways to add further costs and inconveniences to the already miserable experience of short-haul air travel. And the only thing baiting you into booking is the price.

Even before ordering, the experience with Toyota was about as bad as it could have been. Misleading (or straight-up deceitful) practices by the dealerships, confusion with the online ordering system, and then... nothing. You know this already. But it still hurts.

My car has been waiting in Derby for nearly two months. There has been no explanation from Toyota as to the nature of the problems, the proposed solutions or any commitment to a delayed handover date.

Throughout this process, my local dealerships have been simply awful. The sales staff seem to know nothing, and don't care enough to find out. I have told them about my order, its arrival, the likely (original and subsequent) dates for delivery... and not the slightest interest in supporting a customer who intends to bring in their new car every year for parts, accessories and servicing.

But it's only £30,960, right?

I know that Toyota can sell my car to someone else. That someone else might even be grateful, if they eventually get the damned thing earlier than they expected. And I really hope they enjoy it.

I've bought and kept the magazines with the GR86 on the cover. I ordered the little 1:43 model car from Japan (and yes, I paid £200 after import duties, because I am that stupid). I've tried to make an occasion of this car for myself, and tried to sustain enthusiasm for it.

But - without posting the video in the music thread - "the thrill is gone".

I once nearly bought a brand new, very fast Jaguar S-Type. Remember them? Awful cars, but I rather fancied one. I arranged a test drive, took the train up from London, and arrived at the dealership for the appointment with every intention of driving home in the car at the end of the day.

£7.

Sorry?

£7.

What's £7?

The insurance for the test drive.

What are you talking about?

If you don't pay the £7, you're not test driving the car.

I walked out. Just turned around and walked out. If this was how they sold the car, what hell awaited in ownership? They lost the sale of a very expensive car for £7.

We're all prepared to make sacrifices for the GR86. We know the interior will be a bit crap, and nearly any other car will be better for the third hour on the motorway, and they really aren't very fast and nobody we know gives a toss about them and thinks they look a bit cheap and sad compared to a 2-Series... but that's okay. None of us had seen the thing before ordering, and we lucky 'early birds' were prepared to cough up and take delivery without having driven one. What could go wrong?

But I think my patience has been exhausted. Maybe Toyota has done me a favour with the delays and the silence and the rumours of engine problems. All this waiting at the altar has been a blessing, albeit in a most convincing disguise.

The harvest was brought in weeks ago, and leaves are beginning to carpet the lawns outside. One cold snap and the lot comes down. The summer when I wanted to run in and then run the GR86 is over, and it never even happened. And still from Toyota only silence.

I don't know about you, @Bonzo1930 , me old China, but I don't like how this feels. But we are not without choices. I fear my happiness lies elsewhere.

(Oh, as a reward for suffering my rambling - and with apologies to @AndyRC for derailing the thread - I'll link the video anyway. Thank you, drive through...)

 
I'm with you, brother (or sister, or just 'Bonzo'!).

Like you, I have spent far too long stewing on this one, and I know there's only one outcome that makes sense for me.

I will never fly RyanAir. I'm sure plenty of people find a way to make that work for them, or they adjust their expectations, or it's the only way to get to that lovely provincial town in rural Estonia. But nothing about that company appeals to me. They regard their customers with utter contempt, actively seeking ways to add further costs and inconveniences to the already miserable experience of short-haul air travel. And the only thing baiting you into booking is the price.

Even before ordering, the experience with Toyota was about as bad as it could have been. Misleading (or straight-up deceitful) practices by the dealerships, confusion with the online ordering system, and then... nothing. You know this already. But it still hurts.

My car has been waiting in Derby for nearly two months. There has been no explanation from Toyota as to the nature of the problems, the proposed solutions or any commitment to a delayed handover date.

Throughout this process, my local dealerships have been simply awful. The sales staff seem to know nothing, and don't care enough to find out. I have told them about my order, its arrival, the likely (original and subsequent) dates for delivery... and not the slightest interest in supporting a customer who intends to bring in their new car every year for parts, accessories and servicing.

But it's only £30,960, right?

I know that Toyota can sell my car to someone else. That someone else might even be grateful, if they eventually get the damned thing earlier than they expected. And I really hope they enjoy it.

I've bought and kept the magazines with the GR86 on the cover. I ordered the little 1:43 model car from Japan (and yes, I paid £200 after import duties, because I am that stupid). I've tried to make an occasion of this car for myself, and tried to sustain enthusiasm for it.

But - without posting the video in the music thread - "the thrill is gone".

I once nearly bought a brand new, very fast Jaguar S-Type. Remember them? Awful cars, but I rather fancied one. I arranged a test drive, took the train up from London, and arrived at the dealership for the appointment with every intention of driving home in the car at the end of the day.



I walked out. Just turned around and walked out. If this was how they sold the car, what hell awaited in ownership? They lost the sale of a very expensive car for £7.

We're all prepared to make sacrifices for the GR86. We know the interior will be a bit crap, and nearly any other car will be better for the third hour on the motorway, and they really aren't very fast and nobody we know gives a toss about them and thinks they look a bit cheap and sad compared to a 2-Series... but that's okay. None of us had seen the thing before ordering, and we lucky 'early birds' were prepared to cough up and take delivery without having driven one. What could go wrong?

But I think my patience has been exhausted. Maybe Toyota has done me a favour with the delays and the silence and the rumours of engine problems. All this waiting at the altar has been a blessing, albeit in a most convincing disguise.

The harvest was brought in weeks ago, and leaves are beginning to carpet the lawns outside. One cold snap and the lot comes down. The summer when I wanted to run in and then run the GR86 is over, and it never even happened. And still from Toyota only silence.

I don't know about you, @Bonzo1930 , me old China, but I don't like how this feels. But we are not without choices. I fear my happiness lies elsewhere.

(Oh, as a reward for suffering my rambling - and with apologies to @AndyRC for derailing the thread - I'll link the video anyway. Thank you, drive through...)


I know what you mean about dealers and the level of service.

I got screwed by a Skoda dealer after my brand new car cut out 8 times whilst driving (once at motorway speeds). Managed to get rid of it, went to buy a Civic Type R from a local dealer, found out they were part of the same franchise group. So I walked out and bought the car from a different dealer

Tried to buy a Focus RS when they first came out, the Ford dealer looked at me and said I couldn't afford it. Walked out and bought a Golf instead.

Tried to buy an M4, dealer wouldn't believe why I wanted to buy one and refused to talk to me as he thought I was lying (BMW M division flew me and 9 others out to Vegas to drive the new X6M, I had a 2 and a bit year old M135i at the time). Left the dealership and bought an S4.

I wish car dealers knew what good service looked like...
 
I know what you mean about dealers and the level of service.

I got screwed by a Skoda dealer after my brand new car cut out 8 times whilst driving (once at motorway speeds). Managed to get rid of it, went to buy a Civic Type R from a local dealer, found out they were part of the same franchise group. So I walked out and bought the car from a different dealer

Tried to buy a Focus RS when they first came out, the Ford dealer looked at me and said I couldn't afford it. Walked out and bought a Golf instead.

Tried to buy an M4, dealer wouldn't believe why I wanted to buy one and refused to talk to me as he thought I was lying (BMW M division flew me and 9 others out to Vegas to drive the new X6M, I had a 2 and a bit year old M135i at the time). Left the dealership and bought an S4.

I wish car dealers knew what good service looked like...
Unfortunately this sounds all too familiar. I get the same thing. Good dealers are a rare thing these days, which is why I say don't get attached, thinking loyalty counts for something. I did with Skoda and I paid for it. Literally.
 
I'm with you, brother (or sister, or just 'Bonzo'!).

Like you, I have spent far too long stewing on this one, and I know there's only one outcome that makes sense for me.

I will never fly RyanAir. I'm sure plenty of people find a way to make that work for them, or they adjust their expectations, or it's the only way to get to that lovely provincial town in rural Estonia. But nothing about that company appeals to me. They regard their customers with utter contempt, actively seeking ways to add further costs and inconveniences to the already miserable experience of short-haul air travel. And the only thing baiting you into booking is the price.

Even before ordering, the experience with Toyota was about as bad as it could have been. Misleading (or straight-up deceitful) practices by the dealerships, confusion with the online ordering system, and then... nothing. You know this already. But it still hurts.

My car has been waiting in Derby for nearly two months. There has been no explanation from Toyota as to the nature of the problems, the proposed solutions or any commitment to a delayed handover date.

Throughout this process, my local dealerships have been simply awful. The sales staff seem to know nothing, and don't care enough to find out. I have told them about my order, its arrival, the likely (original and subsequent) dates for delivery... and not the slightest interest in supporting a customer who intends to bring in their new car every year for parts, accessories and servicing.

But it's only £30,960, right?

I know that Toyota can sell my car to someone else. That someone else might even be grateful, if they eventually get the damned thing earlier than they expected. And I really hope they enjoy it.

I've bought and kept the magazines with the GR86 on the cover. I ordered the little 1:43 model car from Japan (and yes, I paid £200 after import duties, because I am that stupid). I've tried to make an occasion of this car for myself, and tried to sustain enthusiasm for it.

But - without posting the video in the music thread - "the thrill is gone".

I once nearly bought a brand new, very fast Jaguar S-Type. Remember them? Awful cars, but I rather fancied one. I arranged a test drive, took the train up from London, and arrived at the dealership for the appointment with every intention of driving home in the car at the end of the day.



I walked out. Just turned around and walked out. If this was how they sold the car, what hell awaited in ownership? They lost the sale of a very expensive car for £7.

We're all prepared to make sacrifices for the GR86. We know the interior will be a bit crap, and nearly any other car will be better for the third hour on the motorway, and they really aren't very fast and nobody we know gives a toss about them and thinks they look a bit cheap and sad compared to a 2-Series... but that's okay. None of us had seen the thing before ordering, and we lucky 'early birds' were prepared to cough up and take delivery without having driven one. What could go wrong?

But I think my patience has been exhausted. Maybe Toyota has done me a favour with the delays and the silence and the rumours of engine problems. All this waiting at the altar has been a blessing, albeit in a most convincing disguise.

The harvest was brought in weeks ago, and leaves are beginning to carpet the lawns outside. One cold snap and the lot comes down. The summer when I wanted to run in and then run the GR86 is over, and it never even happened. And still from Toyota only silence.

I don't know about you, @Bonzo1930 , me old China, but I don't like how this feels. But we are not without choices. I fear my happiness lies elsewhere.

(Oh, as a reward for suffering my rambling - and with apologies to @AndyRC for derailing the thread - I'll link the video anyway. Thank you, drive through...)


No apologies required, I totally get the frustration and disappointment many people are feeling. Some companies make excellent customer service their USP , usually because they want repeat business ,sadly our collective experience from Toyota U.K. has been far from excellent to date. ☹️
 
Anyone approached their collecting dealership about buying your car? Would they offer more than we have paid?
Mine has just left the factory.
Bought a 370z last month and decided I would make a decision on which to keep nearer the time. Looking like i'm going to keep the 370z now. The GR86 is due delivery October 24th.
Can't be bothered to buy and sell privately so would either cancel or sell to the dealership if possible.
 
I did ask my dealer about a potential deal for them taking a delivery mileage GR86 in part exchange for a manual Supra. He did say they would be interested but didn’t want to talk numbers until nearer the time. He did say they were selling a low mileage year old GRY for £6k over RRP.

I imagine any dealer would be interested. Going to be a rare sight.
 
Anyone approached their collecting dealership about buying your car? Would they offer more than we have paid?
Mine has just left the factory.
Bought a 370z last month and decided I would make a decision on which to keep nearer the time. Looking like i'm going to keep the 370z now. The GR86 is due delivery October 24th.
Can't be bothered to buy and sell privately so would either cancel or sell to the dealership if possible.
Same as @Al4n I spoke to a dealer about it and they said they were interested but wouldn’t put a price on it until it turned up.
 
The only way the Supra works for me is if I kept the vRS or changed it for something else that could carry. I have hobbies and the GR86 can carry what I need it to.
That’s fair enough. I play guitar but can still fit multiple guitars, an amp and a pedal board in the Supra.

I guess it depends how big your hobbies are 😂
 
Back
Top