GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

I think we should all ask Toyota uk to put in writing that the engine failure issues have been rectified before we all pay the balance for the cars, if they won’t confirm then goodbye 👋
Good luck with that. They can’t even send an email to update people on their orders 😂
I’ve always fancied a Mustang. Love the ‘Need for Green’ special edition 👍🏻
I love that colour. Also a fan of the bright Orange and yellow. Anything that screams look at me 😂
 
Good luck with that. They can’t even send an email to update people on their orders 😂

I love that colour. Also a fan of the bright Orange and yellow. Anything that screams look at me 😂
If you are going to have a Mustang it has to scream ‘look at me’. Love the sound of the V8
 
Hmm.

I wouldn't quite call it a wobble. Perhaps a shiver. This emerging engine issue and the long-term, ongoing communications fiasco has at least got me, for the first time, at least questioning whether I can be bothered with the whole palaver.

But what, instead, could I acquire?
 
This is what warranty is for. Worst case if you get engine failure, they'll replace it. If you fall out of love with it at end of PCP, give it back. You'll always have the choice of selling on at any time and I can't see them losing much. For me, the first 10000 miles are where I decide if it's 100% keeper as if it's reliable for that it's normally good. Given all I know so far I have no reason to doubt it won't be, given this is last of it's kind and I loved the last 86. I'll be driving how I want to from day one.
 
This is what warranty is for. Worst case if you get engine failure, they'll replace it. If you fall out of love with it at end of PCP, give it back. You'll always have the choice of selling on at any time and I can't see them losing much. For me, the first 10000 miles are where I decide if it's 100% keeper as if it's reliable for that it's normally good. Given all I know so far I have no reason to doubt it won't be, given this is last of it's kind and I loved the last 86. I'll be driving how I want to from day one.
All good points, hard to argue with any of this
 
This is what warranty is for. Worst case if you get engine failure, they'll replace it. If you fall out of love with it at end of PCP, give it back. You'll always have the choice of selling on at any time and I can't see them losing much. For me, the first 10000 miles are where I decide if it's 100% keeper as if it's reliable for that it's normally good. Given all I know so far I have no reason to doubt it won't be, given this is last of it's kind and I loved the last 86. I'll be driving how I want to from day one.
And how long will it take for that engine to be replaced I wonder…
 
And how long will it take for that engine to be replaced I wonder…
100% that's my thoughts as well and like @Silver Fox says, could I be bothered with the whole palava of dealing with that and waiting months for a replacement etc.

I do REALLY want this car, these things shouldn't even be a concern but I'm already disappointed with the whole process so far which isn't a great starting point and gives me little faith in Toyota going in to this.

It's a wobble, hopefully they sort their shit out and the cars are all great when we get them.
 
And how long will it take for that engine to be replaced I wonder…
And? You're worrying about "What if's". If you did that all the time you'd never leave the house. You'll get a courtesy car, they'll fix it. This is no different to any other manufacturer. If car is a lemon, they've got a few goes before you can reject it.

With the GT86 they recalled loads for valve springs and initially I was worried how it would affect values but if anything they've stayed high. A few had issues after (also with sealant) but were in a very small minority.
 
And? You're worrying about "What if's". If you did that all the time you'd never leave the house. You'll get a courtesy car, they'll fix it. This is no different to any other manufacturer. If car is a lemon, they've got a few goes before you can reject it.

With the GT86 they recalled loads for valve springs and initially I was worried how it would affect values but if anything they've stayed high. A few had issues after (also with sealant) but were in a very small minority.
This is all factually correct and of course makes a lot of sense. But for many the car (or any car) is an emotional purchase, and these issues have tainted (or have the potential to taint) the whole buying experience.

Depends how much of an emotional soul you are, I suppose!

After a night's sleep I'm going to hold out and grit my teeth and wait for what will most likely be an outstanding car, which I'll be very happy with.

There will be sporadic grumbling to my partner/mates/on here while we wait, however...
 
And? You're worrying about "What if's". If you did that all the time you'd never leave the house. You'll get a courtesy car, they'll fix it. This is no different to any other manufacturer. If car is a lemon, they've got a few goes before you can reject it.

With the GT86 they recalled loads for valve springs and initially I was worried how it would affect values but if anything they've stayed high. A few had issues after (also with sealant) but were in a very small minority.
As I’m commenting in the ‘I’m thinking about cancelling thread’ then yes. Quite rightly I’m worrying about what ifs? With the greatest of respect if I want to be an overtly pessimistic bastard about my GR then I will be.

You may be quite comfortable jumping into a courtesy car and driving around with it until your car is fixed. I. Personally. Am not. And that is my right.

Just like when I decided to hang up my lid and keep away from motorcycles after being knocked off for the 3rd time by some arse hat in a van because ‘what if’ next time it wasn’t just a few broken bones and a punctured lung.

What if I want to drive my 86 and not have to worry ‘what if’ the car I’ve just spent 30 grand on and waited 6 months for doesn’t blow its brand new engine?

All life is is a calculations of what if. I’m more than happy for you to believe I’m being overtly dramatic but. Thankfully. In this thread that’s my right. Because other people are, to varying degrees, feeling the same…
 
I wonder - how much is the car being 'a Toyota' (and of course being Japanese) play in to all this?

The decades-old generally accepted notion (you could even say cliché) is that Japanese cars are trouble-free, reliable, well-engineered etc. This is generally supported in customer satisfaction and reliability surveys.

As any of us involved in project management/quality improvement/PRINCE2/lean/Six Sigma and all that stuff know, Toyota is often cited as a paragon of efficient, effective , productive working. (I may have gently mocked this assumption here) :)

This may play into the impact of all the palaver. Some of us would have gravitated to a brand new Japanese car with a warranty rather than a ten year old Cayman (for example) - for 'convenience'.

So we have certain expectations in terms of vehicle reliability and a smooth customer experience.

As an aside , I had an Alfa Romeo previously which I ran for three years. The car and the dealer I bought it from and had it serviced by were absolutely faultless. If they made a new sports car I'd be back there, no question.
 
As I’m commenting in the ‘I’m thinking about cancelling thread’ then yes. Quite rightly I’m worrying about what ifs? With the greatest of respect if I want to be an overtly pessimistic bastard about my GR then I will be.

You may be quite comfortable jumping into a courtesy car and driving around with it until your car is fixed. I. Personally. Am not. And that is my right.

Just like when I decided to hang up my lid and keep away from motorcycles after being knocked off for the 3rd time by some arse hat in a van because ‘what if’ next time it wasn’t just a few broken bones and a punctured lung.

What if I want to drive my 86 and not have to worry ‘what if’ the car I’ve just spent 30 grand on and waited 6 months for doesn’t blow its brand new engine?

All life is is a calculations of what if. I’m more than happy for you to believe I’m being overtly dramatic but. Thankfully. In this thread that’s my right. Because other people are, to varying degrees, feeling the same…
Really good post thanks @LU71KEE .

And I agree with a lot of what @KobayashiMaru86 is saying too.

I don't think any of us are all that far apart in our thinking. We've all got damn fine taste in cars for a start.
 
Really good post thanks @LU71KEE .

And I agree with a lot of what @KobayashiMaru86 is saying too.

I don't think any of us are all that far apart in our thinking. We've all got damn fine taste in cars for a start.
Neither do I, which is worth remembering so thank you @Silver Fox , sometimes it's easier to get caught up in the moment or to infer tone or intent. Certainly doesn't help that I have pangs of jealousy over @KobayashiMaru86 's Street Triple... I miss my Gixxer Thou :cry: .

I guess in part previous experience is what worries me the most about an engine, for me whenever I've had a car or bike repaired because of damage it never felt the same after, probably more of a mental thing then any real reason for it feeling that way.

I'm also putting all my petrol headed energy just into the 86, I want to be able to push it and enjoy it and feel a sense of connection to the road that I previously enjoyed with motorbikes but that I no longer have. I feel mixed about the idea that could be taken away from me through no fault of my own.
 
I wonder - how much is the car being 'a Toyota' (and of course being Japanese) play in to all this?

The decades-old generally accepted notion (you could even say cliché) is that Japanese cars are trouble-free, reliable, well-engineered etc. This is generally supported in customer satisfaction and reliability surveys.

As any of us involved in project management/quality improvement/PRINCE2/lean/Six Sigma and all that stuff know, Toyota is often cited as a paragon of efficient, effective , productive working. (I may have gently mocked this assumption here) :)

This may play into the impact of all the palaver. Some of us would have gravitated to a brand new Japanese car with a warranty rather than a ten year old Cayman (for example) - for 'convenience'.

So we have certain expectations in terms of vehicle reliability and a smooth customer experience.

As an aside , I had an Alfa Romeo previously which I ran for three years. The car and the dealer I bought it from and had it serviced by were absolutely faultless. If they made a new sports car I'd be back there, no question.
Exactly, a big part of the reason for moving on my 13 year old Cayman. Owned for 2 years trouble free and almost felt like I was pushing my luck!

Have owned an Integra, S2000 and CR-V over the years and had faultess, cheap motoring from Honda so probably subconciously made an assumption that Toyota would follow suit and be the sensible 'worry free' replacement.

Think I'll just turn my phone off this weekend and ignore all of this. Always feel better about everything having done that for a bit :ROFLMAO:
 
I'm creeping closer to jumping ship now in all honesty, with my Celica gone (great price, couldnt turn it down) I'm itching at the bit to get another car.

If it finally comes in October on the 17th, as Dev tools suggests, then thats another 75 days car sharing with the wife, which isnt a problem per se and its a lovely car but a Honda HRV Hybrid isnt my idea of fun...

Ive spied a V8 Mustang on Auto trader that has peaked my interest quite considerably...
I'll just leave this here....

 
Think I'll just turn my phone off this weekend and ignore all of this. Always feel better about everything having done that for a bit :ROFLMAO:
When I have a well-earned beer tonight I shall toast you sir.

Although I might not remember it. It's one of these which a mate thought I might 'appreciate'...

ten_ton_truck_single_can.webp


13% abv apparently...
 
Neither do I, which is worth remembering so thank you @Silver Fox , sometimes it's easier to get caught up in the moment or to infer tone or intent. Certainly doesn't help that I have pangs of jealousy over @KobayashiMaru86 's Street Triple... I miss my Gixxer Thou :cry: .

I guess in part previous experience is what worries me the most about an engine, for me whenever I've had a car or bike repaired because of damage it never felt the same after, probably more of a mental thing then any real reason for it feeling that way.

I'm also putting all my petrol headed energy just into the 86, I want to be able to push it and enjoy it and feel a sense of connection to the road that I previously enjoyed with motorbikes but that I no longer have. I feel mixed about the idea that could be taken away from me through no fault of my own.
I totally understand where you're coming from and like you, all my petrolhead energy is going into this too. First new car in years, not had a car I could really get under the skin of and learn for years. Had to be sensible with saving and buying my first house for the last few years. I'm still really excited. There's a risk with any car that you can still have it go wrong which is why I try not to worry too much. I bought a Mk2 Fabia vRS new and was always in for something under warranty and the oil issues with those are well documented, despite mine being a good one. Didn't stop me from driving it hard all the time. My current car being 12yrs old has needed something expensive for the last 5 years so I'm looking forward to having warranty again and not owning something VAG.

We get far more speculation and bits of info these days than we've ever had which in itself causes it's own issues. Things go on behind the scenes we don't know about all the time. Think if we knew the half of it we wouldn't buy anything. When I was younger I used to overthink and worry to the point of nearly going sick but it's a waste of time. All you can do is be ready to adapt if the situation changes. What will be will be.

My take on it is if goes bang miles from home, there's breakdown cover on new cars, they'll recover you back to dealer, they can fix it and since you won't be happy as quite rightly you've lost faith in it, then you can trade it in or sell. Entropy gets us all in the end anyway, enjoy the moment. Once mine is run in it's driving to Scotland to start UK 3 Peaks so will be used properly. That will be the moment I'll know if it's 100% keeper.

I thought a lot about what else could I get. Only things similar will be used and more money and then you really are into the unknown with used. I've known so many and have it happen to me where something used was bought and it's failed or broken something on the way home. For me this is my only viable option after loads of research and prior experience with the old 86. 2nd option was use M2 Comp but again, lots more money. I said somewhere else that another option was ditch cars completely and focus on bikes but I don't want to give up that connection and experience I've built up. As much as I love the Triple, I still love pushing a car hard on my favorite roads.

I'm trying to be pragmatic since I've had far too many instances over recent years to reaffirm that life is too short. And life is too short to drive boring cars, which is why we're all here. In 6mths, most of us will be in our new cars and enjoying them.
 
Back
Top