GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

For me the excitement has worn off. Like others have said it was a slightly impulsive purchase and made sense with a 12 - 14 week delivery, not a 12 - 14 month delivery.

It was never a dream car, but one I could enjoy whilst the car I really want shows up and I'll be able to move it one without losing much money on it. Now it doesn't fill that role, I don't know what role it fills. I have a lightly modified MX5 at home that costs me nothing, so why pay for the GR if it's arriving so late.
 
I’m just bored of the lack of communication, the GR86 is going to be awesome and I don’t really care when it turns up. Other than the new CTR, nothing new interests me and the used car market is still a bit of a joke with regards to the more desirable cars.

I will say if the hold up is then adding bs safety software or systems then I’m out. I bought it for its slightly old school charm, I’m already annoyed it’s now getting a GPF which probably means euro spec will be less powerful than other markets.
 
He's a 10 but he's thinking of cancelling.....

I have to confess maybe I had too much faith in Toyota. My order process was going to plan but now appears to be in tatters! That's quite disappointing but I sense the hold up is caused by a big mix up which Japanese corporates have a history of hiding for as long as they can. To be fair, this process is no worse than an EV I ordered over a year ago. There's still no sign of my order being accepted in the build system!

Luckily, I'm working on another Japanese car project which has just finished and will keep me occupied until the GR86 turns up. Would have been nice for it to arrive on time though.

I don't see a downside of waiting until it turns up if your situation allows (granted that's easier said than done). The car won't be a dog and there will be an initial period where there will be a premium (all else being equal). I'm also not as precious about seeing owners of GR86s flipping theirs as owners are maybe more susceptible to circumstances than someone with a GT Porsche allocation for instance. That segment is often just a reflection of outright greed by the parties involved. I'd also put the GR Yaris into that category as there were clearly many which were ordered to flip.
 
Apart from Goodwood we've not seen much of the Press cars since they first arrived. Still no UK based reviews yet so must be embargoed?
Even the one at Goodwood wasn't one of the UK registered press cars that were floating around initially, it was a left hand drive variant that looked identical to the Spanish launch cars. There hasn't been any mention of the UK spec ones since the MR2 day and when the Sapphire Blue one turned up at a random meet. I wonder where these are now..?
 
I will say if the hold up is then adding bs safety software or systems then I’m out. I bought it for its slightly old school charm, I’m already annoyed it’s now getting a GPF which probably means euro spec will be less powerful than other markets.
I really do hope the power output isn't effected too much.
 
It's hard to know what to think at the moment, it seems the chance of it turning up in 2023 is about as likely as it turning up in August. With no clarity from Toyota, TUK or the dealer its a complete shambles.
I'm definitely getting distracted by other cars and would like something fun for the summer (2022 ideally) and am actively looking at cheap GT86s and BRZs, or even Jag XE-S.
There's a Cat S BRZ in Sheffield or a Gt86 from @Conscript 🤔
Life's too short!
 
It's hard to know what to think at the moment, it seems the chance of it turning up in 2023 is about as likely as it turning up in August. With no clarity from Toyota, TUK or the dealer its a complete shambles.
I'm definitely getting distracted by other cars and would like something fun for the summer (2022 ideally) and am actively looking at cheap GT86s and BRZs, or even Jag XE-S.
There's a Cat S BRZ in Sheffield or a Gt86 from @Conscript 🤔
Life's too short!
You should definitely buy my GT86. I am not at all biased.
 
Another big motivator for me is that I recently tried a GT86 automatic and felt underwhelmed.
That is not to say that I dislike the GT86 and, for me, i suspect it had more to do with the automatic gear box.

It has just left a niggling sensation in the back of my mind, I'd like to get out and try a manual one but I'm currently on Doctors orders to rest my knee, maybe I'll get to one later in the summer.

There is also the fact the new Civic Type R gets the camo off this week. I had a 2019 Civic Sport and loved it, I wanted the R at the time but the other half wasnt keen, she doesn't really care now that she has her own shiny new car. I know its not a comparable car in many realities but if you gave me a choice between either then, for me, that would be a difficult choice!
 
I'm definitely getting distracted by other cars and would like something fun for the summer (2022 ideally) .......

This is what's bugging me... I sold my Cayman as "the wait is almost over" according to the app and my car is in Derby. If I don't get it until say Jan now (as per some new rumours) I'll be pretty annoyed as I could have just kept the Porsche all summer!

Life's too short!

Agreed!
 
Another big motivator for me is that I recently tried a GT86 automatic and felt underwhelmed.
That is not to say that I dislike the GT86 and, for me, i suspect it had more to do with the automatic gear box.

It has just left a niggling sensation in the back of my mind, I'd like to get out and try a manual one but I'm currently on Doctors orders to rest my knee, maybe I'll get to one later in the summer.

There is also the fact the new Civic Type R gets the camo off this week. I had a 2019 Civic Sport and loved it, I wanted the R at the time but the other half wasnt keen, she doesn't really care now that she has her own shiny new car. I know its not a comparable car in many realities but if you gave me a choice between either then, for me, that would be a difficult choice!
I've not driven either, but I'd imagine there's going to be quite a significant difference between an automatic GT and a manual GR.
 
Another big motivator for me is that I recently tried a GT86 automatic and felt underwhelmed.
That is not to say that I dislike the GT86 and, for me, i suspect it had more to do with the automatic gear box.

It has just left a niggling sensation in the back of my mind, I'd like to get out and try a manual one but I'm currently on Doctors orders to rest my knee, maybe I'll get to one later in the summer.

There is also the fact the new Civic Type R gets the camo off this week. I had a 2019 Civic Sport and loved it, I wanted the R at the time but the other half wasnt keen, she doesn't really care now that she has her own shiny new car. I know its not a comparable car in many realities but if you gave me a choice between either then, for me, that would be a difficult choice!
I drove the manual GT86 (coming from a 2015 TT TDI Ultra) and I absolutely loved it, just felt so alive compared to the TT. The manual makes all the difference with that car. I knew if the GT86 was great, then i'd be in for a treat with the GR. But the whole buying process of the GR has been so draining; I was expecting mine around 23 since I was a 10:44 orderer so it doesn't make much difference to me, but the fact that there's no demos, plus no-one who was told July is getting their cars until much later, just drains the excitement for me. Not that I want to give mine up, but that's just how I feel personally
 
Well this appeared on my drive yesterday 👍 😉
3CBA9389-2DDE-4F45-A4C2-1E945EC2588E.webp





My mate’s new car 😂😂😂

I was pleasantly surprised at how good (comfortable) the ride was even though it’s on 20inch alloys and tyres like thick rubber bands 👍 rear boot also functions as an oven if you need to cook anything on a “low heat” 🤣
 
Well this appeared on my drive yesterday 👍 😉View attachment 6307




My mate’s new car 😂😂😂

I was pleasantly surprised at how good (comfortable) the ride was even though it’s on 20inch alloys and tyres like thick rubber bands 👍 rear boot also functions as an oven if you need to cook anything on a “low heat” 🤣
Love the red roof!
 
Well this appeared on my drive yesterday 👍 😉View attachment 6307




My mate’s new car 😂😂😂

I was pleasantly surprised at how good (comfortable) the ride was even though it’s on 20inch alloys and tyres like thick rubber bands 👍 rear boot also functions as an oven if you need to cook anything on a “low heat” 🤣
Beautiful colour combination, to my eyes. Handsome car.
 
I was pleasantly surprised at how good (comfortable) the ride was even though it’s on 20inch alloys and tyres like thick rubber bands 👍 rear boot also functions as an oven if you need to cook anything on a “low heat” 🤣

That's PASM for you, its immense, it should be crashy but its really not. Boxsters and Caymans are amazing cars, just too capable to be fun on the road, even the baby engined ones have 265 steam roller width tyres.
 
I mentioned how I was feeling to my wife over the weekend, thinking that she'd jump at the chance for me to get a car / toy for about £20k less than the GR86 and she basically told me I was mental and should just wait. She is not only wise, but very perceptive 🤣

Edit: I also emailed Toyota online for an update, just for giggles. No reply yet, obviously.
 
People who have a 1030/1040 ish confirmed order are being told that it's definitely 2023 for them with the whole 2 year build plan being allocated, so it sounds like 11am orders might well be early 2024.

Once I get a hard and fast date for the Emira I'll cancel this order, it doesn't make sense to get it in two years.
 
People who have a 1030/1040 ish confirmed order are being told that it's definitely 2023 for them with the whole 2 year build plan being allocated, so it sounds like 11am orders might well be early 2024.

Once I get a hard and fast date for the Emira I'll cancel this order, it doesn't make sense to get it in two years.
The Emira looks amazing and I would definitely be keeping that. But I would also take delivery of the GR86 too if you can afford to. Pretty sure you’ll make a decent profit on that.
 
Back
Top