GR86 GR86 Confessions

I have a terrible confession.

It's probably (hopefully) just a passing fancy but I'm having thoughts about another car.............

I had a proper supercar experiance last week, taking 2 of the 4 supercars (812 Superfast, Huracan Technica, 720s, SF90) up to 200 mph and having experianced the full awesome, excessive, mind bending experiance it makes me want a "cheap" supercar.

The Huracan Technica was one my favourites and my logic states basically an R8 V10 is the same, and can be had with a manual box, for only £50k.

But don't worry I'm still in love with my 86, this fling ment nothing to me, it was a passing fancy, an accident.........
 
Remind yourself how often you'll be able to actually enjoy that mind-bending experience on the public road (as opposed to a purpose built experience day) and that might help temper those feelings somewhat. The GR86 might be nowhere near the league of supercars, but that means you don't have to be going hell for leather to get the most enjoyment out of it.
 
I have a terrible confession.

It's probably (hopefully) just a passing fancy but I'm having thoughts about another car.............

I had a proper supercar experiance last week, taking 2 of the 4 supercars (812 Superfast, Huracan Technica, 720s, SF90) up to 200 mph and having experianced the full awesome, excessive, mind bending experiance it makes me want a "cheap" supercar.

The Huracan Technica was one my favourites and my logic states basically an R8 V10 is the same, and can be had with a manual box, for only £50k.

But don't worry I'm still in love with my 86, this fling ment nothing to me, it was a passing fancy, an accident.........

You tested the supercars in a false environment completely removed from the real world of congestion.

There were no caravans, tractors, motorhomes, mother's creating mayhem picking up children.

There were no pot holes or broken surfaces, traffic lights or 80 year-old Ethel driving at 22 mph in her 12 year-old Toyota Yaris.

Do yourself a favour, let go of the dream, you will never be able to use the supercars potential on our roads and save yourself the considerable expense of maintenance and fueling and more importantly save your licence and enjoy the driving experience of your GR86 whose performance is more akin to our crowded environment 😄
 
Last edited:
You tested the supercars in a false environment completely removed from the real world of congestion.

There were no caravans, tractors, motorhomes, mother's creating mayhem picking up children.

There were no pot holes or broken surfaces, traffic lights or 80 year-old Ethel driving at 22 mph in her 12 year-old Toyota Yaris.

Do yourself a favour, let go of the dream, you will never be able to use the supercars potential on our roads and save yourself the considerable expense of maintenance and fueling and more importantly save your licence and enjoy the driving experience of your GR86 whose performance is more akin to our crowded environment 😄
Agree with that. Cars I've had with 300bhp+ were too much for road use in pretty much 99.9% of circumstances. There are better cars out there for track work which are not compromised road cars. On the other hand 150-240bhp seems like the sweet spot to me as long as the car is around 1000-1250kg
 
I have a terrible confession.

It's probably (hopefully) just a passing fancy but I'm having thoughts about another car.............

I had a proper supercar experiance last week, taking 2 of the 4 supercars (812 Superfast, Huracan Technica, 720s, SF90) up to 200 mph and having experianced the full awesome, excessive, mind bending experiance it makes me want a "cheap" supercar.

The Huracan Technica was one my favourites and my logic states basically an R8 V10 is the same, and can be had with a manual box, for only £50k.

But don't worry I'm still in love with my 86, this fling ment nothing to me, it was a passing fancy, an accident.........

I know your pain! I had an experience last year at SIlverstone and hooned an AM Vantage round the circuit. All the way home I was trying to work out how I could afford £70k for the cheapest 2nd hand one!
 
The obvious solution to these (quite understandable) supercar temptations, comrades, is to continue to enjoy your GR86s whilst indulging in the occasional supercar experience.

This way you have all the pleasure without the pain of terrifying running/repair costs and you can stretch these cars in a safe environment away from the prying eyes of 'Johnny Law'.

Not cheap, but neither is a full service or new clutch on a V10 motor!
 
This is very useful thank you all!

It has also reminded me that when I had a 400hp roadcar, I thought it was pointless for the road and hard to enjoy at normal speeds.
The main issue is living in the South East... the region sucks the joy out of driving concentrating so many people (most of who cant drive well) into an area creates misery... however, I've been lucky enough to join a motoring magazine on a few road tests and COTY (as a unpaid 'helper'!) and can confirm these supercars are for special occasions, the late Sunday evening when everyone is watching some reality crap, the Welsh valleys, Scottish Boarders and Highlands, Europe etc (including a McLaren 765LT, Aventador S, 992 Turbo S, Ferrari F8 etc...) and the Huracan RWD EVO would be in my garage tomorrow if I could, the N/A V10 is epic, The R8 is a more useable package of it in the same way a 911 is all things to all men. Yes some driving on quiet well sighted roads may not be 'legal' speeds but there is nothing like a supercar when the moment allows ;-) do it, do it, do it, do it... etc
 
Oh and my confession is I curbed an alloy last week :-( :( reversing to allow a lorry through I caught the rear left and created a 10" scuff around the rim. Pretty gutted, only consolation is I haven't changed the wheel colour yet and now more motivated to do so!
5 minutes dabbing the area with a permanent marker pen will make it a lot less noticeable, don’t ask me how I know.
 
The main issue is living in the South East... the region sucks the joy out of driving concentrating so many people (most of who cant drive well) into an area creates misery... however, I've been lucky enough to join a motoring magazine on a few road tests and COTY (as a unpaid 'helper'!) and can confirm these supercars are for special occasions, the late Sunday evening when everyone is watching some reality crap, the Welsh valleys, Scottish Boarders and Highlands, Europe etc (including a McLaren 765LT, Aventador S, 992 Turbo S, Ferrari F8 etc...) and the Huracan RWD EVO would be in my garage tomorrow if I could, the N/A V10 is epic, The R8 is a more useable package of it in the same way a 911 is all things to all men. Yes some driving on quiet well sighted roads may not be 'legal' speeds but there is nothing like a supercar when the moment allows ;-) do it, do it, do it, do it... etc
So in my head that means I need both!? Gr86 daily and R8 V10 for special occasions!

Now to raise £50k without a loan.......whilst I'm gathering funds @SJR202 please add me to your helpers list 😉. Even with all the others I drove that V10 stuck out, what a motor! 🥰

Plus don't worry @Silver Fox a clutch is only £2k (for the parts!)
 
5 minutes dabbing the area with a permanent marker pen will make it a lot less noticeable, don’t ask me how I know.
Realised black might be easier to mask, bought a satin black touch up pen / paint from Halfords, at least I'll be less embarrassed if it doesnt have a silver line around the edge!
 
Out of interest @SJR202, what colour wheels were you thinking of? As a silver owner (with a few kerbed wheels…) I’m going to do a colour change as black is always dirty!
 
Guess as I commented I should make a confession! My car has just gone over 4k miles, has two kerbed wheels as well as many a stone chip from daily motorway driving and friends slick tyres on a weekend… and I could not care less! It’s my car and I waited 9 months, I’m going to use it as intended, well maybe not the kerbed wheel part (damn loose drains). I find my weekend/track special mx5 hasn’t done more than 100 miles since I picked the GR up…
 
Guess as I commented I should make a confession! My car has just gone over 4k miles, has two kerbed wheels as well as many a stone chip from daily motorway driving and friends slick tyres on a weekend… and I could not care less! It’s my car and I waited 9 months, I’m going to use it as intended, well maybe not the kerbed wheel part (damn loose drains). I find my weekend/track special mx5 hasn’t done more than 100 miles since I picked the GR up…
Good on you. My confession is that I have driven it so much, I have the 10000 mile service booked for next week. 🤣
 
It's a combination of work, weekend kids taxi duties and drives just for fun. 😁

I do sometimes think I should have kept my Suzuki Swift Sport. But whilst it was fun, it didn't give me as much joy and feeling of specialness as the GR86 does.

So I think that I might end up with a very high mileage, but well loved GR86 by the end of it all. 🙄
 
It's a combination of work, weekend kids taxi duties and drives just for fun. 😁

I do sometimes think I should have kept my Suzuki Swift Sport. But whilst it was fun, it didn't give me as much joy and feeling of specialness as the GR86 does.

So I think that I might end up with a very high mileage, but well loved GR86 by the end of it all. 🙄
Great to hear it, cars are made to be driven.
 
Good on you. My confession is that I have driven it so much, I have the 10000 mile service booked for next week. 🤣


Get your name on there.
 
Back
Top