GR86 First-world problems... deciding between Z4 Coupe vs GR86

js24

Fascinated Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2023
Messages
7
Reaction score
29
Hey all,

I was one of the lucky ones to get an invite to order email from Toyota last week, giving me a chance to put down a deposit for a GR86. I paid my £1k, and now I've got a link to place an order for the car. All good so far!

I didn't get in on the initial batch, and thought I'd missed out altogether with Toyota's "once it's gone, it's gone" talk. So that left me with a dilema on what to get... and with the lack of direct competition in the new car market, I looked into used cars. I seriously considered a BRZ and almost bought one, but eventually I ended up buying a 2008 Z4 Coupe at the end of last year.

IMG_7254.jpg


There's a few similarities between the Z4 coupe and the GR86, both front-engined, rear wheel drive small sports cars, both pretty analogue/old school in spirit - and both are pretty rare beasts (there were only 2189 Z4 coupe's sold in the UK... not quite as exclusive as a GR86 but still!)

I really thought there wasn't a door to getting my hands on a new GR86, so I'd made peace with it and embraced Z4 ownership, so was totally blindsided when Toyota sent me an invite to purchase a GR86 last week! I'd love to be able to justify keeping both, but I definitely can't do that... my Z4 is currently playing the role of fun weekend second car, and unfortunately neither the zed or GR are practical enough to justify as our main car.

So now I have a pretty huge dilemma on my hands... and I'm genuinely torn on it at the moment! Both are great cars in their own right.

I did get to test drive a GR86 in Bristol at the weekend, friendly staff at the dealership - but in all honesty, the test route was poor. Trundle up the motorway for a bit, then back via a few 30/40 mph roads. I did get a little bit of a feel for the car, and the immediate nature of the steering/throttle was definitely apparent. As was the fact it feels more punchy than the BRZ I test drove last year. But I really need more time in a GR86, and to take it on a proper b road to be able to properly judge it.

IMG_0436.webp


On paper, and I'm actually surprised how close the cost of running the cars is. Insurance is similar enough (GR86 is a little more expensive than the Z4), road tax is a clear win for the GR86 - but servicing the BMW actually works out cheaper. Was pretty surprised at that one - really thought the servicing for the GR86 would be less! Then again, I guess it does come with the 10 year warranty...

The only difference in cost is the yearly ££ amount I've earmarked as a random estimate for the maintenance of the zed seeing as it'll soon be a 15 year old car. If you take that away, they're near enough identical in terms of running costs.

Plus the Z4 coupe is at the bottom of it's depreciation curve, and is touted as a potential future classic... although big questions on what will happen with the GR86 on that front seeing as it's only appreciated so far!!

Anyway - as you can see, I've got a lot of things to figure out, and - with the rush from Toyota to get an order placed - not much time.

In the meantime, I don't want to miss out on a GR86... but I don't want to lose money if I do cancel my order down the line.

Does anyone know how Toyota handle cancellations? If I did cancel the order later down the line, would I be able to get my deposit etc back? Should specify it would be a cash purchase, if that changes anything.

Anyway thanks to anyone who's managed to read this far!!
 
Last edited:
Hey all,

I was one of the lucky ones to get an invite to order email from Toyota last week, giving me a chance to put down a deposit for a GR86. I paid my £1k, and now I've got a link to place an order for the car. All good so far!

I didn't get in on the initial batch, and thought I'd missed out altogether with Toyota's "once it's gone, it's gone" talk. So that left me with a dilema on what to get... and with the lack of direct competition in the new car market, I looked into used cars. I seriously considered a BRZ and almost bought one, but eventually I ended up buying a 2008 Z4 Coupe at the end of last year.

View attachment 17945

There's a few similarities between the Z4 coupe and the GR86, both front-engined, rear wheel drive small sports cars - and both are pretty rare beasts (there were only 2189 Z4 coupe's sold in the UK... not quite as exclusive as a GR86 but still!)

I really thought there wasn't a door to getting my hands on a new GR86, so I'd made peace with it and embraced Z4 ownership, so was totally blindsided when Toyota sent me an invite to purchase a GR86 last week! I'd love to be able to justify keeping both, but I definitely can't do that... my Z4 is currently playing the role of fun weekend second car, and unfortunately neither the zed or GR are practical enough to justify as our main car.

So now I have a pretty huge dilemma on my hands... and I'm genuinely torn on it at the moment! Both are great cars in their own right.

I did get to test drive a GR86 in Bristol at the weekend, friendly staff at the dealership - but in all honesty, the test route was poor. Trundle up the motorway for a bit, then back via a few 30/40 mph roads. I did get a little bit of a feel for the car, and the immediate nature of the steering/throttle was definitely apparent. As was the fact it feels more punchy than the BRZ I test drove last year. But I really need more time in a GR86, and to take it on a proper b road to be able to properly judge it.

On paper, and I'm actually surprised how close the cost of running the cars is. Insurance is similar enough (GR86 is a little more expensive than the Z4), road tax is a clear win for the GR86 - but servicing the BMW actually works out cheaper. Was pretty surprised at that one - really thought the servicing for the GR86 would be less! Then again, I guess it does come with the 10 year warranty...

The only difference in cost is the yearly ££ amount I've earmarked as a random estimate for the maintenance of the zed seeing as it'll soon be a 15 year old car. If you take that away, they're near enough identical in terms of running costs.

Plus the Z4 coupe is at the bottom of it's depreciation curve, and is touted as a potential future classic... although big questions on what will happen with the GR86 on that front seeing as it's only appreciated so far!!

Anyway - as you can see, I've got a lot of things to figure out, and - with the rush from Toyota to get an order placed - not much time.

In the meantime, I don't want to miss out on a GR86... but I don't want to lose money if I do cancel my order down the line.

Does anyone know how Toyota handle cancellations? If I did cancel the order later down the line, would I be able to get my deposit etc back? Should specify it would be a cash purchase, if that changes anything.

Anyway thanks to anyone who's managed to read this far!!
Welcome, I’m sure someone that has owned a z4 coupe will be along in a minute to offer a comparison. In terms of the deposit, because of the distance selling legislation you can actually take delivery of the car and change your mind in the first 14 days to get a full refund. If you financed the car they may charge you the interest for the period of ownership but that is it as far as I am aware.
 
Welcome, I’m sure someone that has owned a z4 coupe will be along in a minute to offer a comparison. In terms of the deposit, because of the distance selling legislation you can actually take delivery of the car and change your mind in the first 14 days to get a full refund. If you financed the car they may charge you the interest for the period of ownership but that is it as far as I am aware.

Thanks, that's good to know! Ha - I'm assuming no one has changed their mind 14 days in but nice to know that it's possible :ROFLMAO: Especially with the resale value being higher than the RRP.

Although if anyone was mad enough to return it after 14 days I'd assume it would be the same as any online return i.e. in the same condition as sold - so presumably no extra miles on the clock??

Anyway, sounds like I don't have to worry about losing my deposit if I do change my mind... time to get back to agonising over colour choices!

Definitely have decided that whichever car I choose I think it'll be something I keep for as long as I possibly can.

If anyone knows of a dealer offering extended test drives, I'd love to be able to take one out for at least a good couple of hours to properly make up my mind!
 
Tough choice. I think the only answer is a good test drive of the GR. Tempting as it is to do so (and I have been there and tried to do it with other cars), I don't think it's a dilemma that you can try to solve on paper.

As it's potentially a weekend/special occasion car, you can genuinely pick the one you like the best and not be too concerned about boring practicalities such as MPG,, boot space, and where to hang your suit jacket.

My own ownership experiences will be of absolutely no help to you at all: I have owned a BMW 130i which I absolutely loved at the time, especially the engine. I then bought a Z4 M Coupe which in many ways hated (too firm, shoddy build, a crude, blunt instrument). I often heard how the Z4 3.0 was a better all round prospect than the M but I've never driven one. I think my GR86 and my previous GT86 are far better driver's cars overall than both the BMWs but i do miss the BMW straight six engines, especially the 3.0, which is the one you have. Z4 Coupe in your colour looks fantastic.

See, no help at all!


Good luck whatever you decide and there's no bad choice here anyways.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, that's good to know! Ha - I'm assuming no one has changed their mind 14 days in but nice to know that it's possible :ROFLMAO: Especially with the resale value being higher than the RRP.
I wouldn’t be too convinced that the value will be higher than RRP by the time this next batch are all delivered the way things are going, but I’m sure they’ll do pretty well. Nothing in it for the flippers this time around though which is a good thing.
 
I owned a Z4M a few years ago and apart from the howl of engine with the added CSL intake box and the extra power, the 86 beats it everywhere else. The Z4M had to be manhandled everywhere. Smooth driving didn't work as well as expected. Steering was numb, brakes would overheat (like many BMW's tbh) and had a tendency to snap oversteer almost randomly. The 86 is the opposite in terms of steering feel. When a slide starts it lets you know and is controllable, yet at speed has way more grip. Then there's the obscene car tax, outdated head unit and BMW M tax where everything was £££. Only thing that was cheaper was insurance. £240 a year was all it was, now up to £400 on the 86 which is such a scam. It should drop if more turn up.
 
The Z4 coupe is a lovely looking car, I test drove one when I was looking for a Z4 15 years ago but decided I wanted a soft top so went for a 2006 2.5si, which I’ve still got! But I’ve hankered after a coupe on and off ever since.
Like you, I’ve got a GR86 on order and will have to decide whether to keep the Z4. My other half loves it and we’ve had some great trips in it so it holds loads of memories, but most of the year it’s under a cover in the garage. I’ve also got a 2017 120D which is my day to day car, it’s really cheap to run but obviously a bit boring compared with the Z4 or GR86.
I’m just about able to get the GR and keep the other cars for a while, and then decide which one(s) I want to keep. If you’re able to, maybe run the Z4Coupe and the GR back to back for a bit and see which keys you grab each day. But you definitely need to have a test drive on some better roads.
 
Arrange another test drive at a different dealer maybe.
It's a dilemma many of us face, but it is a limited opportunity, so I have gone for it.
I guess the Z4 is worth quite a bit, so it's difficult to justify 2 fun cars.
Maybe take the GR86 on the PCP and run both for a while then decide.
 
I owned a Z4M a few years ago and apart from the howl of engine with the added CSL intake box and the extra power, the 86 beats it everywhere else. The Z4M had to be manhandled everywhere. Smooth driving didn't work as well as expected. Steering was numb, brakes would overheat (like many BMW's tbh) and had a tendency to snap oversteer almost randomly. The 86 is the opposite in terms of steering feel. When a slide starts it lets you know and is controllable, yet at speed has way more grip.

BMW Z4 M
Screenshot 2023-06-28 122730.webp



Toyota GR86
377263_0.webp
 
had a z4 before the 86, As a fun weekend car i’d keep the z4, as a daily i’d take the 86
 
If I had to choose between the two I would take the GR86 purely on reliability, cheaper parts and better (cough) dealers.

BMW repair bills scare me.
 
Cheers all!

Glad I'm not the only one wrestling with a similar dilemma.

The ideal scenario would be if I could take delivery of the car and have them both for a while to see which one I'm dying to go out in more... but feels like that could be risky if the second-hand market cools down and I lose money if I ended up choosing the zed!! Obviously not a problem if I choose the GR.

Just occurred to me that funnily enough both car's are 86s - GR86 and E86. Guess I can definitely commit to owning an 86!!

But to be honest I'm super lucky that there isn't really a bad choice. Just slightly paralysed by choice - I definitely need to get myself an extended test drive somewhere.
 
I think my GR86 and my previous GT86 are far better driver's cars overall than both the BMWs but i do miss the BMW straight six engines, especially the 3.0, which is the one you have. Z4 Coupe in your colour looks fantastic.

See, no help at all!


Good luck whatever you decide and there's no bad choice here anyways.

Thanks! Yeah, still a little bit in love with the montego blue of my zed.

But I think you're spot on - the main battle is great engine (Z4) vs great handling (GR86)... Not that the GR86 has a bad engine or the Z4 has bad handling... but feels like that's a fair summary of where they're both brilliant.
 
You'll have the benefit of a new car and no MOT for 3 years if you go for the 86, I wouldn't pass up on the chance of owning one, worse case you could always go back and buy another z4, but maybe not as easy to get another 86?
 
I owned a Z4 3.0 Si for 4 years . I think we can all agree that it looks great and doesn't appear to have aged. The boot is a good size, you can easily get two sets of golf clubs in there... if that's what you're into. IMHO, It is an excellent grand tourer but I wouldn't call it a sports car. It doesn't perform well on B roads, it tram lines and you get an uneasy feeling that the rear of the car is steering. On A roads it's epic. Great brakes, great engine and the interior is high quality. I hated the run flat tyres, I think these compromised the ride quality and were very expensive to replace. £350 for 1 rear tyre back then.

Compared to the GR86, performance is on a par, the handling of the GR86 is far better especially on B roads. Also the steering feel is so much more communicative. The interior of the GR86 is no where as nice but for the RRP of £30K it's to be expected. So it all comes down to what you want out of your car, either a sports car or a GT car.

1688038771332.jpeg
 
Hi all, a little update from me a few weeks on...

I still wasn't sure which way to go when it came to ordering time... but I knew for sure that if I was getting a GR86 it needed to be Ignition Red. Funnily enough, when I visited the dealer to see the colour samples, they mentioned they didn't actually have one for Ignition Red as it's a Subaru colour!

Anyway, I've seen a few people mention that right after ordering, Toyota tells them it's already on a boat or in the UK! But mine was definitely newly made order from the factory (and it only left the factory a few days back).

I had a big deadline a week back though... I'd booked my Z4 in to the body shop for the 17th to address a few stone chips, road rash and a minor bit of lacquer peel... but still a reasonable chunk of change to drop on a car if I was about to sell it. Cue a lot more agonising on my end!

I went back and forth on it... I wanted to keep whichever one I ended up with for as long as I can... but in the end, as brilliant a car as the GR86 is, I still love my Z4 coupe too much to let it go. I know that the GR86 is the better-handling car, but my Z4 still puts a smile on my face every time I see it and go for a spin.

And I still find myself taking photos of it whenever I wash it!! I mean, it's a stunner in my view:

IMG-0773-1-2.jpg


It's funny how life works out - I hadn't even thought about a Z4 coupe when I first signed up to the GR86 waiting list! And I came very close to getting a first gen BRZ... but here I am.

So I've contacted Toyota asking to cancel my order... Here's how close I got:


IMG-0847.jpg


And although I'm not joining you guys, that's anything against the GR86 - I'm so glad that it exists. It's an amazing car, and I'm sure you guys will have an absolute blast with yours.

On paper I found it pretty impossible to separate the two cars. They're both brilliant, old-school sportscars, and both have different strengths... but for me it's actually been more of an emotional decision, I'm emotionally invested in my Z4, and I couldn't get over that, but I'm happy with my decision.

I'm also happy that, at the very least, I've made Toyota build another RHD red GR86 - and hopefully it'll still end up coming to the UK!

Anyway, goodbye all for now... wishing you all the best with your cars. Really looking forward to seeing a few more out in the wild when the latest batch appears - and I hope everyone who wants one is lucky enough to get their hands on one. Keep an eye out for a random blue Z4 coupe giving you a wave if you're around the southwest!!
 
I still wasn't sure which way to go when it came to ordering time... but I knew for sure that if I was getting a GR86 it needed to be Ignition Red. Funnily enough, when I visited the dealer to see the colour samples, they mentioned they didn't actually have one for Ignition Red as it's a Subaru colour!

They might be shocked to know every colour is a Subaru colour, since the car is built by Subaru, in a Subaru factory, it still blows my mind at how little Toyota dealerships know about the cars they sell, could you imagine that in any other industry? You wouldn't have a job. Useless, so useless.

Anyway enjoy your Z4 for many moons to come! Who knows, you might be back one day.
 
They might be shocked to know every colour is a Subaru colour, since the car is built by Subaru, in a Subaru factory, it still blows my mind at how little Toyota dealerships know about the cars they sell, could you imagine that in any other industry? You wouldn't have a job. Useless, so useless.

Anyway enjoy your Z4 for many moons to come! Who knows, you might be back one day.
+1. Have said it in another thread about people going to their dealers to ask for functions to be enabled, when the manual clearly says "go to your Toyota dealer to enable this", and they just shrug and go "dunno, lol". Well, go find out ffs.

But yeah, getting off the subject. Enjoy your Z4. Maybe a few years down the line you might find yourself in a GR anyway, if they start hitting the used market :)
 
Back
Top