GR86 First-world problems... deciding between Z4 Coupe vs GR86

For many of us cars are very much an emotional, subjective choice and it sounds like you've made the best decision for you @js24 .

Here's to many, many rewarding and safe miles in your Z4.
 
Well done, you have made the right decision for you. I can fully understand where you are coming from, and must admit to wavering a bit myself.
 
I owned a Z4 3.0 Si for 4 years . I think we can all agree that it looks great and doesn't appear to have aged. The boot is a good size, you can easily get two sets of golf clubs in there... if that's what you're into. IMHO, It is an excellent grand tourer but I wouldn't call it a sports car. It doesn't perform well on B roads, it tram lines and you get an uneasy feeling that the rear of the car is steering. On A roads it's epic. Great brakes, great engine and the interior is high quality. I hated the run flat tyres, I think these compromised the ride quality and were very expensive to replace. £350 for 1 rear tyre back then.

Compared to the GR86, performance is on a par, the handling of the GR86 is far better especially on B roads. Also the steering feel is so much more communicative. The interior of the GR86 is no where as nice but for the RRP of £30K it's to be expected. So it all comes down to what you want out of your car, either a sports car or a GT car.

View attachment 18014
Must be an age thing as I’m 60 in November but sporty cars have suddenly reached out to me.. I think the bug was fuelled by the “you can’t buy one” spiel about the GR86

Clever marketing possibly but it certainly touched my competitive side as I thought “can’t buy one.. we’ll see about that”

The Evo car of the year video finally sold it to me as I’ll never own any of the other shortlisted cars unless my lottery numbers come up so I thought sod it.. if I can’t get a GR I’ll get an MX5 RF or something similar
 
Back
Top