Why the need for a GR-Zoo???

Totally Hooked
Vendor
Dec 2, 2021
Just to clarify (Mods, feel free to delete if I'm overstepping the mark)

I've been a vendor on GR-yaris for 2 years, and paid a very reasonable £50 per year. More than happy with that, and a small increase wouldn't have been an issue.

The fact that renewal will now cost me $891 is far from reasonable, it's a pi$$ take. I've heard today from a few other vendors who are of the same opinion as myself, and we'll be voting with our feet.

Fensport

Fascinated Member
Vendor
May 9, 2022
Just to clarify (Mods, feel free to delete if I'm overstepping the mark)

I've been a vendor on GR-yaris for 2 years, and paid a very reasonable £50 per year. More than happy with that, and a small increase wouldn't have been an issue.

The fact that renewal will now cost me $891 is far from reasonable, it's a pi$$ take. I've heard today from a few other vendors who are of the same opinion as myself, and we'll be voting with our feet.
Echo this, the price increase isn't worth the offering.

D

Deleted member 534

Guests
Also if members donate a tenner here they give a mug. You then give your teenage niece, who thinks she knows everything, some tea in said mug and she freaks out cos she doesn't know what a GR-Zoo is and you smile and don't explain it leaving her freaking.

Well worth the money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Totally Hooked
Vendor
Dec 2, 2021
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I'm trying to reply to a post on there this morning, and it's not having it. Not told me I can't post, but clicking 'reply' does nothing :unsure::unsure::unsure::cautious::cautious::cautious::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Ecsrobin

MrJ

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 6, 2021
Well, I’m guessing there won’t be many vendors signing up at the new rates. Suspect they’ll need to maximise revenue any way they can now to make the whole thing a worthwhile venture, which isn’t usually to the benefit of the users.

Also this:
130A8F10-296D-415C-9F61-7894A9B9F018.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kinboshi and Onehp

ksc

Absorbed member
Dec 16, 2021
Well, I’m guessing there won’t be many vendors signing up at the new rates. Suspect they’ll need to maximise revenue any way they can now to make the whole thing a worthwhile venture, which isn’t usually to the benefit of the users.

Also this:
View attachment 8045
Almost verbatim from the Fiesta ST forum

Reactions: Deleted member 534

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Slightly amused at the business model, ok for a e.g. a miata forum with over a million potential customers, but for a little niche car of which there are maybe a good ten thousand (not counting JDM 1.5 cvt versions) worldwide?

Reactions: ksc and Paolo

foxspeed

Zookeeper
Dec 1, 2021
sat behind a laptop moderating
Quite bizarre that for 1 year they left the old site as it was, and then a year later bring the new business model in for the $$$.

they must of realised they had a gr forum and decided to do something about it! probably too much time lounging in beanbags supping menthol tea...

can just see it now "oh we have forum best get some wonga from it and where are all the mods" :eek:

Reactions: Paolo

GR-Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Vendor
Nov 22, 2021
The writing was on the wall once ownership had transferred.

Copy & Paste introductions, plans to advertise and monetise content that we had all posted to help and share with each other, no answers to questions from the new owners, no support and then you dig a bit deeper and see how these companies operate. Pretty much all using the same theme, with a different logo and picture at the top of the home page whether it be a forum about GR Yaris, Reptiles or Coffee!

Reactions: Onehp

Duke

Totally Hooked
Dec 27, 2021
Oooft, that's dreadful. I've not really posted on there since moving over. Yes it (currently!) has more traffic and users, but the as I've said before the business model sucks and you're always at risk of some nonsense like this happening when it's not community-owned and run, felt it was far more worthwhile to build the Zoo up.

Reactions: Onehp

Sly

Devoted member
Jun 23, 2022
As a (the?) moderator on there - I can completely agree that that fee for vendors is beyond a joke.

It was, and should always be, a community forum, with or without the GR-ZOO. As a community manager for various online communities, my worst fear is seeing it be used for a business purpose..

The writing was on the wall once ownership had transferred.

Copy & Paste introductions, plans to advertise and monetise content that we had all posted to help and share with each other, no answers to questions from the new owners, no support and then you dig a bit deeper and see how these companies operate. Pretty much all using the same theme, with a different logo and picture at the top of the home page whether it be a forum about GR Yaris, Reptiles or Coffee!
Thank you Chris for opening this place, a community forum should always stay as that, for the community! Not the bloody pockets..

Last edited:

GR-Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Vendor
Nov 22, 2021
Thanks for your comments @Sly although it's not just me - plenty have and continue to help keep this forum a place to regularly visit.

Chris (not Matt, who er sold the original forum).

• Haha
Reactions: MrJ and Sly

ksc

Absorbed member
Dec 16, 2021
They are now talking about reverting it. This will be interesting.
The irony is that for all their spiel about security their own software is still based on XenForo like the old site.

Sly

Devoted member
Jun 23, 2022
The irony is that for all their spiel about security their own software is still based on XenForo like the old site.
But themes offer up their own security concerns, hence I believe this new one.