GR86 Why Aren’t GR86’s being Delivered?

And we'll probably be charged an extra £5k for the latest 'upgrades' before we see them as well! :ROFLMAO: ....... 😭
 
Screenshot 2022-07-24 at 00.03.03.webp
Screenshot 2022-07-24 at 00.06.00.webp
Can you link that about parking sensors. I knew I read it somewhere but can’t find it anywhere now
Here's the original specifications list downloaded at 10:39 on 20/04/2022. If they throw in extras, that's great. But they can't be taking anything out of this list. It is ridiculous for Toyota UK to not know the exact specification of cars when the cars are offered for sale. I have lost count of how many cock ups Toyota UK has made as of writing. 🤦‍♂️
 
I´ve found something quite interesting from an Aussie source - adressing some stuff why the GR86 is delayed there as well... maybe we can gather some info out of it:


Since this is my first post, I will likely say "Hello there, fellow sufferers" 😋
 
With all these rumours and Toyota statements surrounding - meeting eu regulations/specification changes causing delays it would be interesting to find out exactly what is going to be changed on customer cars in comparison to original spec list. I fear it may be quote substantial.
 
Citing dynamic development and deliberate strategy around product planning, Toyota Australia’s chief marketing officer Vin Naidoo played down the late arrival of the 2022 Toyota GR 86

“Through the development phase, it was about focusing on the track dynamics of the car – that was one reason for the delay,” he told carsales.

“The other reason is that we looked at the right timing for our market, and it’s that fourth quarter.”

My god, what BS, it's infuriating that well paid chief spinners thinks people actually buy into these comments.
 
it would be interesting to find out exactly what is going to be changed on customer cars in comparison to original spec list.
I asked them last week, I'm still waiting for the generic reply that avoids answering the question.
 
Very evasive over the question of what’s changing to conform with environmental issues. The press fleet manager who seemed a sound fella has gone to ground on the forum (probably been told to) as I bet he’d know exactly what’s going on.
 
With the lack of UK roadtests I assume the press fleet is grounded too. He's not posted any shots of the cars on Twitter since the end of May. Yes it'd be nice to know, if the GR86 now has 160bhp and is limited to 47mph I'd rather be told now so I can cancel and make other plans.
 
With the lack of UK roadtests I assume the press fleet is grounded too. He's not posted any shots of the cars on Twitter since the end of May. Yes it'd be nice to know, if the GR86 now has 160bhp and is limited to 47mph I'd rather be told now so I can cancel and make other plans.
Maybe it’s gone the way of the bZ4X and Tundra


 
Have given this some thought maybe we are getting rear parking sensors after all and they have been shipped separately and TUK are fitting them in Derby 🤔

Looks like we will be getting holes pre-drilled for rear number plate with two options for large and small plates 👍

EC305BF6-DEAF-4EEE-B4D3-97C921823C80.jpeg


Found a Tech Bulletin on a Japanese site , think its how to align the sensors on a Pearl White (K1X) GR86, looks like there are also two sets of number plate mounting holes for std size and small plates 👍

パーキングセンサーの取り付け方法

ACDA0F9E-214D-4B11-A3EF-359315B2E71B.jpeg
 
The voicemail I got from Toyota GB on Monday said the cars need to go through customs (mine is still at portbury), regulatory checks (as its a new model) and emissions checks before moving to dealers. (My original email asked why (politely) the car has made it to the UK is 2.5 months from ETA)-he said to go through all those requirements the ETA is about right, but could move either way.
That to me sounds like they've not been homologated or waiting for a wider EU sign off which is also possible and not a quick process. The press cars/show cars were pre prod do didnt go through these processes. I did some searching on homologation, its possible to homologate a car for the UK market alone e.g. import or kit car, or the EU as a whole which seems to be what most manufactures would of course do.

He also said the press cars/show cars that have been seen around the UK so far are all pre production and therefore do not need to go through the same homologation and checks (I believe pre prod cars are scrapped when finished with).

So maybe its a combo of missing parts, the sealant issue (is a visual inspection of each car needed?) and/or homologation for EU and regs... Sadly this was all left on a voicemail so I didnt get chance to question the chap.
 
So maybe its a combo of missing parts, the sealant issue (is a visual inspection of each car needed?) and/or homologation for EU and regs... Sadly this was all left on a voicemail so I didnt get chance to question the chap.
Unfortunately, I doubt you would have received clarity on these issues even if you had spoken with him...
 
Unfortunately, I doubt you would have received clarity on these issues even if you had spoken with him...
No you're right. To be honest, my first welcome call said expect the car in 2023 so I dont know why now knowing my car is in the UK Im inpatient over October!! If its Oct and I get my car with others then, I'll be happy, very happy in fact as everything points to being worth the wait. However I have registered my interest with Honda ref the new Civic Type R - that looks very tempting but think it'll be c40k sadly
 
No you're right. To be honest, my first welcome call said expect the car in 2023 so I dont know why now knowing my car is in the UK Im inpatient over October!! If its Oct and I get my car with others then, I'll be happy, very happy in fact as everything points to being worth the wait. However I have registered my interest with Honda ref the new Civic Type R - that looks very tempting but think it'll be c40k sadly
you could probably make up some/all of the 10k by flipping the 86 :unsure:
 
Have given this some thought maybe we are getting rear parking sensors after all and they have been shipped separately and TUK are fitting them in Derby 🤔

Looks like we will be getting holes pre-drilled for rear number plate with two options for large and small plates 👍

View attachment 6742

Found a Tech Bulletin on a Japanese site , think its how to align the sensors on a Pearl White (K1X) GR86, looks like there are also two sets of number plate mounting holes for std size and small plates 👍

パーキングセンサーの取り付け方法

View attachment 6743
Don't know whether to laugh or cry, this hits too close to home 🤣
 
Where does this end. In theory you ‘might’ be able to do this.

Pay 30k for GR86, order new type-r as soon as you can, list maybe 40k, flip GR for 40k to buy type-r ( this may not work if you’re GR doesn’t come until 2024…) Get type-r and flip that for 50k !

You’ve made 20k in 18 months or so!

Or, the economy tanks and you can’t get overs on anything, new cars start getting discounted again and lose a couple of 1k deposits!
 
I have seem many so called car industry experts saying the used car market has topped and is about to come back down in the next 12 months.
Debatable about new cars as 60% of chips come from Tiwan and that supply could dry up very soon and cause a global recession.
Hopefully you all get your cars soon and enjoy them as long as you can now afford the petrol.
 
Back
Top