GR Yaris Why are so many Yaris Gr owners changing their wheels ?

lee1563

Dedicated member
Dec 18, 2021
Not my car but going for a set of these, JP SL01 in Gun Metal and 8.5 x 18.

Yaris.JPG

Tralien

Devoted member
Jan 29, 2022
wider tires....8x18 is very small at that car. you can easily fit 255 or 265....thats the reason for me. i switch to 9x18 rims. 8x18 with 225 looks like a golf and not a rally car. there´s so much room for bigger tires ;)

Mintmansam

Obsessed member
Dec 16, 2021
Why you notice it with the Yaris more?

Here is my reasoning, proportionally more GR Yaris’s are owned by petrolheads, compared with Golf R, Fiesta ST etc, naturally with petrolheads some like to modify.

Added to this (no offence) most owners seem to be a tad owner than a typical hot hatch owner, and perhaps used to modifying cars.

Also again (just my perception) owners appear to have slightly more disposable income than other makes of car ownership, I’ve come from fiesta STs, and I see more money being spent on the GR

Couple the above with the fear of the cost of replacement wheel (not by all) and you get “man maths” justification for changing wheels 😅😂 even I considered the winter wheel option.

Adding these together and you get the result that proportionally a lot GR Yaris Owners are changing the wheels

Kaxe

Obsessed member
Dec 17, 2021
@Mintmansam
Definitely the right kind of enthusiasts bought these cars! :p :cool:
I put a deposit down when they were first announced on paper with no pictures. When it said "small AWD Yaris platform with TWO LSD's" - I was SOLD!! :ROFLMAO: ...I knew I had to have one even if it was to experience it for a short time incase life got in the way but so far so good! :love:

Reactions: Els

kappa_md

Absorbed member
Feb 25, 2022
Which one is it? Superturismo WRC Classic or Evolutione? And do you know the weight? OZ sais 13 kg, cant believe that...
WRC Evoluzione :) I’ll check. It’s a bit heavier from the stock BBS forged wheels but I did’t seem to notice added unsprung weight while driving

Last edited:

Humptydumptyhadabigone

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 17, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
I looked at some classy centrelock wheels with adapters but they were staggered and the offset would have been problematic and the 255/35 vs 225/40 would have raised eyebrows at Toyota. Plus with the adapters the weight was higher than the Oz wheels.

Reactions: Els

GRunt

Obsessed member
Feb 17, 2022
Northern Germany
I looked at some classy centrelock wheels with adapters but they were staggered and the offset would have been problematic and the 255/35 vs 225/40 would have raised eyebrows at Toyota. Plus with the adapters the weight was higher than the Oz wheels.
Indeed. Did the same. And to be honest, a real center lock is only really necessary when quite often changing the wheels. Like with regularly track days. I am switching wheels two times the year 😅 or when doing some work on the car. So don't really need it. But the looks of a center lock is really good. I like the harmonic centralised look of it. But I think I will stick to some conventional 5 bolts.

kappa_md

Absorbed member
Feb 25, 2022
These are with the center lock dummies, isn't it?
I was also thinking about them. But I guess I'll take the normal 5 ones. After all it is a road car. But I am not sure.
In rally they got 5s as well. Center lock is more circuit oriented, or am I wrong?
Yes. The centerlock is for design only, underneath it has the 5 lugnuts. The Evoluzione is truly designed for the modern day rally cars like the GR Yaris. I also looked at the retro non-Evoluzione version, but the white is more off in relation to the color white of the GRY body. And also, I would say the Evoluzione is more period correct. I thought of taking out the centerlock design which is an option for a cleaner look. :cool: