GR86 What did you do with your GR86 today

Yet they charge £150 p/hr labour as standard! I’ll be using a JDM independent specialist for yrs 1-3 and may, just may, return to OEM purely for the extended warranty. A sad state of affairs from the dealerships fer sure 🤬
I was going to do this but I am beginning to wonder if it's even worth it. I think I'd get more peace of mind having the car maintained by a trustworthy independent, than I would having the warranty extened.
 
The chap I’m going to used to have a fully modified GT86 and kept it for well over a decade. He said the engines are almost bulletproof if you look after them properly. It’s the ‘go-to’ place for the Scoobie and Evo crowd in Scotland, so I feel confident in my choice 😊
 
Was this because the sensors were sitting a little proud of the bumper? Mine were the same, but it's precisely because I don't really want them touching it again that I'll just live with it.
That's exactly it. They were annoyingly ill-fitted, but I didn't realise how badly the dealer would screw up if they were to touch them again.

To top it off, they never said anything about damaging the parking sensor when handing the car back to me. I only noticed it when I did a quick inspection around the car before taking off (I've taken before and after pictures of course), but as it was dark outside and they already rebooked me for January, I didn't bother going back in to make a fuss.

I have very little trust in them doing a good job and not screwing something else up in the process again.

Come to think of it, I'll give them a call to make sure they actually ordered replacement sensors, as otherwise it will be a waste of time in January.
 
80 miles with the sound generator unplugged. (y) (y)(y)(y)(y)
I have to try this, intrigued now. Planning a three week euro hoon next year and I think it would be more relaxing.
The chap I’m going to used to have a fully modified GT86 and kept it for well over a decade. He said the engines are almost bulletproof if you look after them properly. It’s the ‘go-to’ place for the Scoobie and Evo crowd in Scotland, so I feel confident in my choice 😊
Tell me more!? 😁
 
I have to try this, intrigued now. Planning a three week euro hoon next year and I think it would be more relaxing.

Tell me more!? 😁
There are worse fake engine devices but I think it masks the tone of the GR’s sweet FA20 boxer engine.

It isn’t a R/S 2.5 5-Pot TFSI but so much better than any of the VW EA888 2.0T‘s.

I have a suspicion the sound generator also lags behind the real revs - is the driving experience more precise without it? I believe so.

BTW The back end stepped out for the first time this morning on the way back from Sunday Supra’s at Newlands Corner … a timely reminder this is a vehicle to be respected.
 
There are worse fake engine devices but I think it masks the tone of the GR’s sweet FA20 boxer engine.

It isn’t a R/S 2.5 5-Pot TFSI but so much better than any of the VW EA888 2.0T‘s.

I have a suspicion the sound generator also lags behind the real revs - is the driving experience more precise without it? I believe so.

BTW The back end stepped out for the first time this morning on the way back from Sunday Supra’s at Newlands Corner … a timely reminder this is a vehicle to be respected.
Yeah, I got a small "cherp" from the rear wheels leaving Newlands this morning and I wasn't doing anything other than normal driving.
 
I’ve agreed to buy a Seat Arona wheel and Jack which is brand new for £50 locally

Time will tell if it fits.. the tables I’ve looked at seem positive

I’ve done ~1700 miles now with no space saver and I’m getting twitchy
That was a great buy.. £50 for the wheel, Jack, handle and a wheel nut spider .. all literally brand new and off a Seat Arona if anybody is looking for a space saver.. the guy paid £190 then decided to change the car 😐

I just need to buy the wheel tie down bolt now

F56411B0-01A8-4A21-8957-63208CFA9853.jpeg
 
Will update on the outcome
Took mine to main dealer for service, they had it for 2 days and when I finally got it home I noticed this the next morning 🤬. Oil pissing out of what I assume/hope is the sump plug, what a joke.
Will update on the outcome once concluded, so far the car has been flat bedded to the dealer by Toyota assistance and I have a vauxhall Corsa in a fetching burnt orange as a loaner.

When I mentioned to the flatbed driver thar I reckon they forgot the sump plug washer he said I'd be surprised how often that happens 🤦‍♂️
 
Will update on the outcome

Will update on the outcome once concluded, so far the car has been flat bedded to the dealer by Toyota assistance and I have a vauxhall Corsa in a fetching burnt orange as a loaner.

When I mentioned to the flatbed driver thar I reckon they forgot the sump plug washer he said I'd be surprised how often that happens 🤦‍♂️
It’s easily done but that’s no excuse :(
 
Will update on the outcome

Will update on the outcome once concluded, so far the car has been flat bedded to the dealer by Toyota assistance and I have a vauxhall Corsa in a fetching burnt orange as a loaner.

When I mentioned to the flatbed driver thar I reckon they forgot the sump plug washer he said I'd be surprised how often that happens 🤦‍♂️
My car couldn't be serviced earlier this week.

The garage said this is because the oil filter and sump plug washed weren't in stock and won't be available until the new year.
 
Having swapped from the stock PS4's to Goodyear Vector 4S G3 yesterday, in the slightly larger 225/40R18, it's remarkable how much quieter these are than the stock tyres (using same stock rims).

For me, long distance driving on the PS4's (fairly common occurrence) required earplugs to make it comfortable. Have done 130 miles on the G3's (since yesterday morning, wild how the miles fly) and never once thought I needed to reach for them.

Will still be chucking in some sound mats in the new year. The original plan was to put the PS4's on new rims also bought in the new year and swap in warmer climes, but I might keep the PS4's as track/touring tyres only and daily on the G3 year round.
 
Last edited:
Took mine to main dealer for service, they had it for 2 days and when I finally got it home I noticed this the next morning 🤬. Oil pissing out of what I assume/hope is the sump plug, what a joke.
I had that once on a Ford Sierra many years ago, dropped pretty much all the oil on my drive overnight. Main dealer service, didn't tighten the sump plug :rolleyes:
As it was a company car, I drove it (in a clattery fashion) back the dealers, which apparently didn't harm it at all as it went on just fine for many thousands of miles.
 
Took mine to main dealer for service, they had it for 2 days and when I finally got it home I noticed this the next morning 🤬. Oil pissing out of what I assume/hope is the sump plug, what a joke.
That's a bit poor and I hope they sort you out. In service, I was sent a video of mine having the oil dropped, but in retrospect I want to see a video of them putting the washer on and torque to spec!
 
Booked the service around two weeks ago. Had an email from a guy at the dealer group to confirm three days ago so I replied asking him to make sure they actually had the parts. Didn't get a reply. Took the car in today, went to collect and got "sorry, Toyota filters are on back-order till January 17th... we can fit a Subaru one but you'll have to come back tomorrow". The dealership had no idea who the guy who emailed me was - he's supposedly a customer services adviser within the dealer group?! Good to see that the dealers have been on the same communication skills course as Toyota GB. So, more wasted time tomorrow. At least my sump plug hasn't fallen out yet.
 
Toyota filters are on back-order till January 17th... we can fit a Subaru one but you'll have to come back tomorrow"
Err, what's he mean exactly? The GR86 'Toyota' filters are made by Subaru (see my unmodified factory engine photo below). I recently bought one from a Subaru dealership just in case the shortage lasts until mine is due its service in February. Did he just not have a filter with the proper part number as shown?

OilFilter.jpg
 
Did he just not have a filter with the proper part number as shown?

They had no suitable filters at all despite the service being booked around two weeks ago and despite me asking for confirmation that they had the filter in stock after reading what others have said on here. They seemed surprised that it had a Subaru-branded one already. Presumably there must be a Toyota-branded one on back-order but the Subaru-branded one can supposedly be obtained for tomorrow. Getting the Subaru one for the actual service date must've gone against Toyota GB's customer service standards. I'll see what happens tomorrow, I don't hold out much hope.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: AWB
Back
Top