GR86 What did you do with your GR86 today

Echo the comments above. The state of the roads due to the abysmal weather along with the huge number of accidents I’ve heard about, even via friends not the local or national press has been wild.
Yup, the roads were atrocious, but this one was all on me I'm afraid, no excuses. I wasnt playing silly buggers, but I was trying to nip around a lorry in the left lane as we came off the roundabout. Didn't judge how wet the road was and accelerated too early with too much lock still applied. Completely overestimated the grip having just been on the road for an hour in similar conditions with no issues.

I'd love to say there were factors outside my control, but this was just stupidity and complacency on my part. I'm exceedingly lucky to have got away with it, but lesson learned.
 
Glad you and the dogs are safe, think most of us have been in a situation where it’s brown pants time. Very lucky it just has vegetation to be removed off it and nothing else seemingly. Perhaps get the car looked at from underneath for simple peace of mind if not for anything else. You see cars with the chassis plastic covers hanging down flapping away as they are driving down the road, look fine when stationary though.
Hope everyone stays safe.
 
Phew what a relief @Conscript that the car looks to be OK. Kudos to you, your dad and the altruistic passers-by for safety extracting the car.
Yup. I have probably shaved a few thousand miles off the life of the clutch. Although I think that's more than a fair trade.

Wish I'd got the names of the two people who stopped to help out, young guy and a young woman. Can't believe they went trudging through wet grass and mud, unbidden, to help a fat man extract his mid life crisis mobile from a ditch. If by some miracle they see this post...thank you. Faith in humanity restored somewhat.
 
Me and dad returned the scene this morning....
View attachment 21532
Took a good look around the car. Covered in greenery, but not a scratch on it. Wheels undamaged and tyres still inflated. Regardless, there was no way it was going back up that bank. I was all ready to give up and call a recovery truck. But luckily my dad isn't such a pushover.

On the right of the pic, further down the bank you can just see some tramlines in the grass leading back to the junction. Evidently someone else had done the same recently. Dad suggested just trying to move it back and down the bank.

Success! Despite being on wet grass, we got enough traction to roll it back and further down the verge. By this time, two passers by stopped, evidently thinking we'd just crashed, and with their help we managed to reverse it all the way back to the junction along those tramlines in the grass. With a bit of wheel spinning, we got it up the incline at the end and back onto the road. I then rejoined the A11 and drove it back to mums....slowly and with no music.

View attachment 21533
Car is now safely back on the driveway and despite being covered in scenery, I can't find any damage. Not so much as a scratch. It drove back perfectly....tracking as straight and true as it did before. Nothing fell off. But I was aiming to get the alignment looked at soon anyway...when I do I will ask them to take a gander incase there's anything I can't see.

To say I'm relieved is an understatement. And I have definitely used up all my luck for the year, because if I had come to a stop just a few feet further forward....

View attachment 21534
....huge concrete manhole that I didn't spot last night. That would have been a bumper gone, or, if I'd come off the road a few feet later, a crushed sump.

Christ. Still shaking.
Awesome news!!! So pleased for you 🙏The Car Gods were watching out for you yesterday 😎
Enjoy cleaning it up and getting back on the road. Put it behind you. Love that colour btw 💙 Take care out there and be safe 💯
 
Lucky escape that, missing the manhole cover! Glad there is no damage to you, car and dogs, could have been worse too if whoever came off the road collided with yours.

Got an excuse to wash it now, when it stops raining.
 
Lucky escape that, missing the manhole cover! Glad there is no damage to you, car and dogs, could have been worse too if whoever came off the road collided with yours.

Got an excuse to wash it now, when it stops raining.
Like I need one! I'm at my parents for a couple of days, and dad doesn't have quite the array of detailing products that I'm used to. But I might pop to the local jetwash in a bit just to get the worst of and blast the grass or of the radiator.
 
Great news that you’ve managed to recover it and all looks to be undamaged. 👌🏻

If you’ve not done so already I’d have a proper eyeball underneath the car given the amount of plastic on the underside, also rules out anything hanging off for your return journey. If you’ve got the ability to wash it where you are now that’s always a sure fire way of stumbling across even the smallest of marks and damage that are newly acquired on a car.

Sounds like you were just really unlucky coming unstuck and it’s one of those spots. I think everyone knows at least one locally like it. There’s an unlit country road near me that has a 90 degree corner that often has a car deposited in the field it borders on to.
 
Last edited:
Me and dad returned the scene this morning....
View attachment 21532
Took a good look around the car. Covered in greenery, but not a scratch on it. Wheels undamaged and tyres still inflated. Regardless, there was no way it was going back up that bank. I was all ready to give up and call a recovery truck. But luckily my dad isn't such a pushover.

On the right of the pic, further down the bank you can just see some tramlines in the grass leading back to the junction. Evidently someone else had done the same recently. Dad suggested just trying to move it back and down the bank.

Success! Despite being on wet grass, we got enough traction to roll it back and further down the verge. By this time, two passers by stopped, evidently thinking we'd just crashed, and with their help we managed to reverse it all the way back to the junction along those tramlines in the grass. With a bit of wheel spinning, we got it up the incline at the end and back onto the road. I then rejoined the A11 and drove it back to mums....slowly and with no music.

View attachment 21533
Car is now safely back on the driveway and despite being covered in scenery, I can't find any damage. Not so much as a scratch. It drove back perfectly....tracking as straight and true as it did before. Nothing fell off. But I was aiming to get the alignment looked at soon anyway...when I do I will ask them to take a gander incase there's anything I can't see.

To say I'm relieved is an understatement. And I have definitely used up all my luck for the year, because if I had come to a stop just a few feet further forward....

View attachment 21534
....huge concrete manhole that I didn't spot last night. That would have been a bumper gone, or, if I'd come off the road a few feet later, a crushed sump.

Christ. Still shaking.

That's a relief. Heart stopped when I saw it and I thought it was mine! We've all had moments and *touches wood* I've had the room to sort it. There are a few roundabouts and exits by me where the tarmac construction is odd with large gaps between the chippings and the camber doesn't help it either. No matter the car, wet or dry, if RWD and you power on it tries to come round. FWD would understeer immediately if you go in a touch hot then into lift off if you corrected.
 
Yup, the roads were atrocious, but this one was all on me I'm afraid, no excuses. I wasnt playing silly buggers, but I was trying to nip around a lorry in the left lane as we came off the roundabout. Didn't judge how wet the road was and accelerated too early with too much lock still applied. Completely overestimated the grip having just been on the road for an hour in similar conditions with no issues.

I'd love to say there were factors outside my control, but this was just stupidity and complacency on my part. I'm exceedingly lucky to have got away with it, but lesson learned.
Ah we've all been there.

Not long after I first collected my GT86 I managed to spin it on a wet roundabout. It was so spectacular it must have ended up being a 720+ degree spin. Thankfully there wasn't anything else on the roundabout at the time otherwise - I dread to think what.

I'd love to say it was because I was young and inexperienced with rear wheel drive, but I was almost 40 years old and had not long sold an air cooled 911.

The coup de grâce to my pride - once I'd come to a halt and taken a deep breath - was spotting the large bald man stood at the bus stop doing an exaggerated slow hand clap with a look of pure disdain on his face.
 
Me and dad returned the scene this morning....
View attachment 21532
Took a good look around the car. Covered in greenery, but not a scratch on it. Wheels undamaged and tyres still inflated. Regardless, there was no way it was going back up that bank. I was all ready to give up and call a recovery truck. But luckily my dad isn't such a pushover.

On the right of the pic, further down the bank you can just see some tramlines in the grass leading back to the junction. Evidently someone else had done the same recently. Dad suggested just trying to move it back and down the bank.

Success! Despite being on wet grass, we got enough traction to roll it back and further down the verge. By this time, two passers by stopped, evidently thinking we'd just crashed, and with their help we managed to reverse it all the way back to the junction along those tramlines in the grass. With a bit of wheel spinning, we got it up the incline at the end and back onto the road. I then rejoined the A11 and drove it back to mums....slowly and with no music.

View attachment 21533
Car is now safely back on the driveway and despite being covered in scenery, I can't find any damage. Not so much as a scratch. It drove back perfectly....tracking as straight and true as it did before. Nothing fell off. But I was aiming to get the alignment looked at soon anyway...when I do I will ask them to take a gander incase there's anything I can't see.

To say I'm relieved is an understatement. And I have definitely used up all my luck for the year, because if I had come to a stop just a few feet further forward....

View attachment 21534
....huge concrete manhole that I didn't spot last night. That would have been a bumper gone, or, if I'd come off the road a few feet later, a crushed sump.

Christ. Still shaking.
I LOVE A HAPPY ENDING!! What a result. :)
 
We certainly do.

Especially after lots of ups and downs.
1697908279619.webp
 
Bloody hell! Proper brown trouser moment, glad to hear you, the dogs and the car came out unscathed, scary moment for sure, I'm glad it nestled itself into some grass as opposed to anything else.

Perhaps an entry for this month's photo competition? Captioned "you can't park there mate"
 
Back
Top