GR86 What did you do with your GR86 today

Went for a spin up North Wales with some friends and some from one of the local clubs. Good mix of cars, good people from all walks of life, all sensible and all got love of cars in common. First spin out this year, a good Sunday Roast at the end, the first time I've taken the 86 to North Wales and the longest drive I've done in one hit with it. Was on a bit of a whim. Know the roads well but not the route but was happy to follow and not lead.

It's been a mega day and I'm still buzzing. Missed days like this for so long and it's so cathartic. A dawn raid to the start in the wet (which as expected, meant cleaning the day before was pointless) but did give me chance to push where I wouldn't normally and it's as good as expected, even with a lost hour of sleep. Was wide awake when I met the others.

IMG_20230326_100542~2.webp


Drove up to Bala Lake for photos.

IMG_20230326_110501.webp


IMG_20230326_111541.webp


Then did a loop past Tryweryn, followed the coast round then went for food.

Coming home through Aberystwyth, Lampeter, Talley and Llandeilo were my old commuting roads so know them very well. Muscle memory kicks in and now I'm starting to get this car more it's mega and I'm loving it more and more every good spin like this I do. On those roads it's unbelievable and far quicker in spots than I'd expected which is great. Mid and North Wales roads are some of my favourite roads ever. Sure the vRS would probably be quicker since on those roads during those days it was always full send so was used to being at that limit all the time. But with the weaknesses of the vRS I'd say over a longer distance there wouldn't be a lot in it.

Fuel was better than expected too. almost 300 miles done and given when I filled up, the light had just come on so left me with 10l or so as it took 40l to fill again. I'd say 340+ miles is easily achievable and on Mid Wales roads with some pushing at times that's pretty good, especially for a 2.4 NA engine. Can't wait for my trip to Scotland in May.

IMG_20230326_173038.webp
 
Went for a spin up North Wales with some friends and some from one of the local clubs. Good mix of cars, good people from all walks of life, all sensible and all got love of cars in common. First spin out this year, a good Sunday Roast at the end, the first time I've taken the 86 to North Wales and the longest drive I've done in one hit with it. Was on a bit of a whim. Know the roads well but not the route but was happy to follow and not lead.

It's been a mega day and I'm still buzzing. Missed days like this for so long and it's so cathartic. A dawn raid to the start in the wet (which as expected, meant cleaning the day before was pointless) but did give me chance to push where I wouldn't normally and it's as good as expected, even with a lost hour of sleep. Was wide awake when I met the others.

View attachment 14969

Drove up to Bala Lake for photos.

View attachment 14970

View attachment 14971

Then did a loop past Tryweryn, followed the coast round then went for food.

Coming home through Aberystwyth, Lampeter, Talley and Llandeilo were my old commuting roads so know them very well. Muscle memory kicks in and now I'm starting to get this car more it's mega and I'm loving it more and more every good spin like this I do. On those roads it's unbelievable and far quicker in spots than I'd expected which is great. Mid and North Wales roads are some of my favourite roads ever. Sure the vRS would probably be quicker since on those roads during those days it was always full send so was used to being at that limit all the time. But with the weaknesses of the vRS I'd say over a longer distance there wouldn't be a lot in it.

Fuel was better than expected too. almost 300 miles done and given when I filled up, the light had just come on so left me with 10l or so as it took 40l to fill again. I'd say 340+ miles is easily achievable and on Mid Wales roads with some pushing at times that's pretty good, especially for a 2.4 NA engine. Can't wait for my trip to Scotland in May.

View attachment 14973

Great post, enjoyed reading it.

Like the Renault Mégane RS and the Fiat 500 Abarth!
 
Great mix of cars in your group there @KobayashiMaru86 - genuinely something for everyone! Looks like some sort of Evo magazine 'heros' road test.

Fantastic write up too, a pleasure to read.
We said that too. Lot of end of an era cars. Stuff we'll never see again.

Up this neck of the woods they do the Mach Run for charity every year which is a 50 mile loop round some great roads, some of which we were on yesterday. The road quality is far better than anything down South Wales. Down there I'm anticipating potholes everywhere I want to place the car, like on apexes and corner exits. But once you clear Lampeter, get to Aberaeron and take the coast road to Aberystwyth the roads are butter smooth. There are still the odd rough patches but 90% of it is perfection.

I think if we're still allowed cars by the time I retire I'll be moving up there
 
Swansea and the surrounding areas are horrendous. There's roads I won't go down in a car let alone a bike. Where I live is particularly bad and people kick off at the council who think patching is fine. Whole roads need scraping back and relaying. Patching does nothing when all it does is slightly reduce the depth as it sinks then the debris comes out and damages cars.
 
Just dropped it off at the dealer. Hoping the next time I see it, it will have parking sensors and less annoying unlock functionality.
Have a CH-R as a my trusty steed for the day. S'alright I spose. Much better than the Aygo they usually foist upon me :D
 
Just dropped it off at the dealer. Hoping the next time I see it, it will have parking sensors and less annoying unlock functionality.
Have a CH-R as a my trusty steed for the day. S'alright I spose. Much better than the Aygo they usually foist upon me :D
What dealer are you using Gillingham?

@KobayashiMaru86 great write up, as others said what a great mix of driving cars. The 86 was made for those roads. What was your exhaust like over that extended trip? Did it get tiresome at all?

It was my first day of in 13 yesterday, went out with the mrs for a much needed unnecessary long drive for pub lunch, this car is spot on, I'm finding it more comfortable and more effortless to enjoy it than the previous car, does need an exhaust though.
 
What dealer are you using Gillingham?

@KobayashiMaru86 great write up, as others said what a great mix of driving cars. The 86 was made for those roads. What was your exhaust like over that extended trip? Did it get tiresome at all?

It was my first day of in 13 yesterday, went out with the mrs for a much needed unnecessary long drive for pub lunch, this car is spot on, I'm finding it more comfortable and more effortless to enjoy it than the previous car, does need an exhaust though.
Yup. @cakper had his sensors fitted there, and they look alright on his car, so hopefully no issues (although it ended up taking them a couple of days).
And defintiely agree with you - "effortless" is the right word. Even modded, I found the old car could sometimes felt wanting sometimes, especially on larger roads. This morning, driving to the dealer through rush hour traffic, I was pleased at how much more urgent the new car feels along busy dual carriageways; much easier to get around slower traffic, dart around roundabouts, etc, without having to downshift to search for torque.

And yes - I am enjoying the car much more with the sound generator turned off, but looking forward to my new exhaust arriving.
 
E36 M3 EVO!, had a very similar one, same colour and similar plate R373ANP, appears to have bitten the dust as no MOT history :cry:
 
Went to Nandos only to be told they were not taking orders for 30 mins, because busy.

Thought the car looked alrite on the way back to it so snapped a photo of it

Removed the B6 rear dampers this weekend and put the stock showa rears on, still on Eibach springs all round

No longer hate the car and now love it again. Looking forward to getting an exhaust fitted.

20230326_191205.webp
 
@KobayashiMaru86 great write up, as others said what a great mix of driving cars. The 86 was made for those roads. What was your exhaust like over that extended trip? Did it get tiresome at all?

It was my first day of in 13 yesterday, went out with the mrs for a much needed unnecessary long drive for pub lunch, this car is spot on, I'm finding it more comfortable and more effortless to enjoy it than the previous car, does need an exhaust though.
It was spot on the whole trip. Touch of drone at 2k and a little at 4k but nothing bad and it's only in relation to the rest of it. Given what I've had in the past it's more than acceptable. The exhaust sounded superb all day. Not tiring, sounded as it should do. Even idle is only slightly louder than stock which is just what I wanted. It's always going to be loud on a cold start but only lasts about 15s or so. I'm very happy with it. I did think if it was too much on this trip I'd take it off for Scotland but I won't be now.

Also any niggles people have about clutch springs, heel and toe, etc I didn't have all day. I've said before than once the pace goes up a step, it's enough to then be working in it's window. It was a joy all day.
 
Thanks for the feedback Martyn, I know what you're saying about its working window, the car is grumpy when cold driving round town, its much better when on it, gearbox feels lovely when above 4k, 3rd to 4th requires the lightest of camp wrist flicks.

Removed the B6 rear dampers this weekend and put the stock showa rears on, still on Eibach springs all round

No longer hate the car and now love it again. Looking forward to getting an exhaust fitted.
What's the ride like compared to the bilstein dampers?
 
Thanks for the feedback Martyn, I know what you're saying about its working window, the car is grumpy when cold driving round town, its much better when on it, gearbox feels lovely when above 4k, 3rd to 4th requires the lightest of camp wrist flicks.
giphy.webp

Went to Nandos only to be told they were not taking orders for 30 mins, because busy.

Thought the car looked alrite on the way back to it so snapped a photo of it

Removed the B6 rear dampers this weekend and put the stock showa rears on, still on Eibach springs all round

No longer hate the car and now love it again. Looking forward to getting an exhaust fitted.
That looks like it's sitting nicely now. Would also be interested to hear how it rides with Eibach springs and stock dampers.
 
Thanks for the feedback Martyn, I know what you're saying about its working window, the car is grumpy when cold driving round town, its much better when on it, gearbox feels lovely when above 4k, 3rd to 4th requires the lightest of camp wrist flicks.


What's the ride like compared to the bilstein dampers?

Load of updated ramblings in my coilover thread

Basically, slightly lower (but still too high at the back) and a much more settled and composed ride, but its still a lowering spring on a stock damper so not going to give the setup a 10/10 or anything.

The B6 didn't seem to utilise much or any of its travel, so stiff you could see the headlight beam shaking up and down rapidly ahead of you against the horizon or on street signs. The ride was jarring and distracting on a bumpy b road. Way too firm, my wife said she needed a sports bra to cope.

The Showa has settled that right down. I'm pleased with it, but again its still a lowering spring on a stock damper. Moves up and down its travel without bottoming out and doesnt want to rebound violently, even when loading it up in a corner it doesnt feel like the damper wants to rebound, instead it just sits there in a fairly calm manner, quite good really. The B6 fronts don't seem bad, they are obviously firmer than the rear but not jarring at all, the front/back work quite well as it is now.
 
Fitted the Cusco pedal extender, that's totally fixed any heel toe issues I'd been having, feels bang on now!

11c outside, sunshine, 45 minute blast and 850 miles on the tyres... All skittishness has totally gone. Even in track mode, darting around all the pot holes, the car was totally planted the entire time.

Bloody love this car! 😊
 
Yup. @cakper had his sensors fitted there, and they look alright on his car, so hopefully no issues (although it ended up taking them a couple of days).
Well. This post has aged incredibly badly.

Just had a sheepish phone call to tell me that while the car was sat in the carpark at the dealers, someone in a van has reversed and caught the front wing, damaging it. Not huge damage, but enough that it now needs body repair. They have a body shop on site, so it will all be sorted, but it means I'll be without the car at least until the end of the week. Further explained the complication that the car was ceramic coated at KDS, so I expect that will also need to be sorted as well.

Why cant I keep my ****ing mouth shut :mad:
 
Well. This post has aged incredibly badly.

Just had a sheepish phone call to tell me that while the car was sat in the carpark at the dealers, someone in a van has reversed and caught the front wing, damaging it. Not huge damage, but enough that it now needs body repair. They have a body shop on site, so it will all be sorted, but it means I'll be without the car at least until the end of the week. Further explained the complication that the car was ceramic coated at KDS, so I expect that will also need to be sorted as well.

Why cant I keep my ****ing mouth shut :mad:
FFS, gutted for you. This is why I hate taking cars to dealerships, its never been uneventful for me.
 
One thing that always makes me nervous about this dealer in particular is the small, tight car park. Never any space to park properly, so cars get double parked everywhere. Pretty livid now, taken such good care of it.

Annoying thing is, I was ambivalent about getting parking sensors fitted anyway. Just having it done because I could, really :/
 
Annoying thing is, I was ambivalent about getting parking sensors fitted anyway. Just having it done because I could, really :/
Gutted for you!! 😭

I had similar feelings and decided against sensors. The less time my car is with the dealer the better. I wouldn't let them wash it, so definitely didn't want them taking a drill to the bumper!

That said, this isn't really their fault and could've happened in any car park I guess. Just sods law as you weren't even sure about getting it done (n)
 
Back
Top