GR86 What did you do with your GR86 today

View attachment 28954

Gave it a wash after the monsoon weekend we had. @Sonic and for those who have PPF what do you guys use to remove tar? I usually use Gtechniq stuff but their tar remover is not to be used on PPF.
I haven’t found a Tar/Glue removing product from any detailing company that states it is safe for use on PPF. I’ve even contacted the likes of Auto Finesse and Gyeon directly with this question. All say don’t use Tar Remover on PPF. The only manufacturer I have found that does, is XPEL themselves; Xpel PPF Cleaner. It’s certainly not cheap at £25 a bottle, but it lists Tar as a contaminant. In the past I have used a light spray of GT85 (Aldi WD40 equivalent) onto a rag and given a gentle wipe. Then washed and Rinsed as normal, finishing with ‘Gyeon PPF maintain’ or Gtechniq Ceramic Spray. With Xpel PPF on the car, I’m moved to just splash out and get the ‘official’ cleaning product 😉
 
Thanks chaps, I did ask Gtechniq directly some time back but I've not given it a go yet as I wanted to see what others did and run it by Suntek.

That's correct, don't use the W7 on the PPF as stated.
I would try using a 70-30% solution of Water(70%) to IPA (30%), apply a small amount to a cotton pad and apply to the tar for 10-15 seconds.
After applying the IPA solution, I would then use a microfibre towel that has been sat in some hot water to hopefully remove the tar.
You may need to repeat this process until it has all been fully removed.
In essence, the IPA solution is going to help remove the tars bond to the PPF and the hot water should hopefully encourage the removal due to the heat element.
 
Thanks chaps, I did ask Gtechniq directly some time back but I've not given it a go yet as I wanted to see what others did and run it by Suntek.
Enquired with my Xpel approved detailer and he said they use Autobrite or Autosmart stuff, but always on cold panels and never let dry - a quick spray and wipe. He did say almost any stuff is okay if used safely.
Update: I’m just out of a chat with AutoGlym Support and this is their Tech’s reply:
IMG_6785.jpeg

So it seem their AutoGlym ‘Tar and Adhesive Remover’ is okay on good condition (unbreached) PPF too.
 
Last edited:
Car chem - UK company produces their own stuff (last time I checked). Been using them for years and their products on PPF, including G&T remover. Any question I have had just pick up the phone/email, and get a positive response back.
 
Driven it to work for the first time in ages. The mods have definitely made a difference. It felt sharp before but it's so good now, almost egging me on to drive it harder. Still need to get that diff kit fitted but need my new jack to turn up first. Couldn't get the car high enough to put on jack stands I have.
 
Back
Top