GR Yaris What did you do to your GR Yaris today?

I booked my early bird ticket to the Piston Heads 25th Anniversary Party at Bicester Heritage on Saturday 12th August and also applied to display my car since the GR Yaris "qualifies" under the Hot Hatch category.

Should be a great day out, the more the merrier!

Did the same this morning. Hope to see you there
 
Hit a clucking pheasant and joined the broken grill club☹️. Low speed (under 30 mph) around Rutland Water. Despite having read of similar incidents on the forum, I can’t believe how easily it broke. I’m anticipating it not being cheap to replace. I suppose it did its job and protected the intercooler.
View attachment 14516
A pigeon done that to mine, a blimming PIGEON!! :mad:
Welcome to the broken grill club! :cautious:
 
fitted these

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-11 at 14.43.12.webp


WhatsApp Image 2023-03-11 at 14.42.00.webp
 
FINALLY finished the oil cooler setup!!!
The amount of issues I've had is beyond belief...
Wasn't happy with first Mocal kit from Tegiwa, started making custom one. Wrong lines delivery, wrong replacement lines, switching to other sandwich plate and fittings, wrong oil...
But it's all behind now.
It's live and kickin' filled with Ravenol DFE SAE 0W20! 😁

IMG-20230311-WA0005.webpIMG-20230311-WA0004.webp
Tomorrow, a electrician working at Rimac 😌 should finish the IC water spray retrofit that's been dragging on for month as well...
On Monday hope to get my front bumper fixed following the Alps incident. Have some pearl white wrap to try and cover the scars, not sure about color match yet.
Also, have doubts they've changed my F diff and gearbox oil at Toyota service yesterday, those drain bolts were not greasy at all... 🤨🤔
 
FINALLY finished the oil cooler setup!!!
The amount of issues I've had is beyond belief...
Wasn't happy with first Mocal kit from Tegiwa, started making custom one. Wrong lines delivery, wrong replacement lines, switching to other sandwich plate and fittings, wrong oil...
But it's all behind now.
It's live and kickin' filled with Ravenol DFE SAE 0W20! 😁

View attachment 14521View attachment 14522
Tomorrow, a electrician working at Rimac 😌 should finish the IC water spray retrofit that's been dragging on for month as well...
On Monday hope to get my front bumper fixed following the Alps incident. Have some pearl white wrap to try and cover the scars, not sure about color match yet.
Also, have doubts they've changed my F diff and gearbox oil at Toyota service yesterday, those drain bolts were not greasy at all... 🤨🤔
quite small cooler, are you seeing good temp drop ??

be ideal size for rear diff though
 
quite small cooler, are you seeing good temp drop ??

be ideal size for rear diff though
Did not test yet. I believe it will do the job, I've seen only a few times a worrying oil temp (125C+) during my B road driving. Specially when driving in show, it will help when the front grille is full of snow, this mesh wasn't.
Also, as this was my wanted position, bigger cooler would have to be angled, probably resulting in similar cooling.
 
The RP-X work great from cold but due to R90 regulations are deemed 'not road suitable' in UK and EU, which is unfortunate, as in USA it is not an issue at all. But I understand that you need something 'hybrid' in nature for your use.

@DeanoC it seems you are the first applicant, if anybody else would like to test a set please reach out to me

So I got these on from @EBC Brakes - thank you again!

I've now tried the RP1 and RPX on the EBC discs.

20230305_114308.jpg


First Impressions are that the RPX have very noticeably more bite! The specs say you are going from less than 0.4mu to more than 0.5mu and I would absolutely agree with that. The first time using the car, going off to bed them in, I found myself braking twice as hard as I was planning to. I think this was exaggerated recently with the real cold temps.

IMG_20230222_141146.jpg


Bedding in was fine with no noticeable fade on the last fast decelerations and with no uneven transfer or wobble. The balance of front / rear felt spot on as it had previously with RP1.

Off to Bedford I went - amazingly it was sunny but still super cold with a very damp track.

20230311_104228.jpg


The first few laps out I was overwhelming the tyres under braking. I said they have more bite but it's more how it ramps up quicker with less pedal. Like sport mode in some cars that increase the throttle sensitivity. This was just them being different to what I was used to and I needed to change my muscle memory. I found myself braking longer, less hard while I was getting the hang of it but soon found my groove and was back to full braking. You have to bear in mind it was 1.C in the morning and I was on 225 F1SS so I'd say you'd be playing around with braking grip with any pad.

We got to late morning, the track was mainly dry with a few strategically placed puddles to really keep you alert, and I was in my element. Really leaning on the brakes - I would say we were at 80-90% pedal effort once I had a couple of laps on the tyres. The yaris' grip was making a hero of me. 158 miles I did out on track, never let anyone past me all day.



The pads were just totally dependable and consistent. Caliper temps were way down at 144 max on the stickers. The heat gun was putting the discs at low 300s which is about 20/30 more than I got on the RP1s. No bother at alI. I've been well over 200 caliper / 500 disc at bedford before!

20230311_104151.jpg
20230311_153238.jpg
20230311_153232.jpg


So they stop you faster, don't fade and don't make everything melt. Excellent 👌

The other stuff.

Noise - more 'scrapy' when going slow up to junctions etc. No squeal. I quite like that.

Dust - more but probably less than OEM as they are mental

Wear - I did 1mm up front and nothing noticeable with a guage that goes in 1mm steps on the rear. About the same as RP1 but it was a quiet day and I got a lot of miles in so I'm going to say 15-20% less wear than RP1.

All in all I'm a very happy chappy. RPX is certainly more geared to track work as you'd expect. It feels, sounds like an XP10, DS1.11 rsl90 etc but without all the heat it seems. I think they are going to serve me well over the summer. RP1 acts like OEM+ in my book. Not as outright capable but more modulation and feel, basically no dust, no noise and great life.

I've literally put my money where my mouth is and bought a set for another car which is heavier and faster which I think they will be perfect for.

I hope that helps
 
was also at Bedford with Dean we both had same F1 SS tyres and whilst Dean was running with the RPX pads I was for first time running the milder RP1 version.
Similar to the RPX the milder RP1 performed flawlessly lap after lap and good improvement over factory pad with nice ability to modulate albeit 3 X the cost of factory pad and only time will tell if their wear rate is justified
Driving home in the wet having bedded them in on dry track and I was loving the RP1's road manners easy strong braking on wet corners no snatching or fade when cold now make these my one pad does it all for the yaris
 
Ws
Did not test yet. I believe it will do the job, I've seen only a few times a worrying oil temp (125C+) during my B road driving. Specially when driving in show, it will help when the front grille is full of snow, this mesh wasn't.
Also, as this was my wanted position, bigger cooler would have to be angled, probably resulting in similar cooling.
Mind sharing what parts you've used? I'd quite fancy a setup like this!
 
Ws

Mind sharing what parts you've used? I'd quite fancy a setup like this!
Setrab racing cooler 16 rows, 210mm (Model: 50-116-7612)

HEL Multi-angle Thermostatic Sandwich Plate 92°C
3/4"-16 UNF -10 AN JIC

2x Swivel Banjo Adapter with M22 x 1.5 Banjo Bolt and -10 AN JIC Tail

2x -10 AN JIC Straight Braided PTFE Hose Fitting

2x -10 AN JIC 45 Degree Braided PTFE Hose Fitting

-10 AN Hose Separators

-10 AN (13mm ID) Black Nylon Cotton Braided PTFE Hose

Custom made brackets
 
was also at Bedford with Dean we both had same F1 SS tyres and whilst Dean was running with the RPX pads I was for first time running the milder RP1 version.
Similar to the RPX the milder RP1 performed flawlessly lap after lap and good improvement over factory pad with nice ability to modulate albeit 3 X the cost of factory pad and only time will tell if their wear rate is justified
Driving home in the wet having bedded them in on dry track and I was loving the RP1's road manners easy strong braking on wet corners no snatching or fade when cold now make these my one pad does it all for the yaris
Hi, next time you book Bedford give me a shout. Cheers
 
Setrab racing cooler 16 rows, 210mm (Model: 50-116-7612)

HEL Multi-angle Thermostatic Sandwich Plate 92°C
3/4"-16 UNF -10 AN JIC

2x Swivel Banjo Adapter with M22 x 1.5 Banjo Bolt and -10 AN JIC Tail

2x -10 AN JIC Straight Braided PTFE Hose Fitting

2x -10 AN JIC 45 Degree Braided PTFE Hose Fitting

-10 AN Hose Separators

-10 AN (13mm ID) Black Nylon Cotton Braided PTFE Hose

Custom made brackets

Do UK people not find the oil is too cool most of the time with a cooler like that? Yesterday on track my oil was never above 102 and that's doing 9mpg. Too cool is worse than too hot.
 
saying he's got thermostat, had similar on other vehicles although I used to take stat out to improve oil flow
 
Do UK people not find the oil is too cool most of the time with a cooler like that? Yesterday on track my oil was never above 102 and that's doing 9mpg. Too cool is worse than too hot.
Maybe in UK, here it's averaging a bit higher, specially during summer. 100s seem like a good temp to hold imo. Would not like to go below much, but neither would like to see it closing in on 130s. This will my first oil cooler experience, will build on from here if I messed up somehow. I've put a thermostat plate following advice that oil would take too long to get up to temp without one.
Only saw idle pressure while warming up, was around 1.4 bar at 60C oil. Seems similar to before (without cooler setup and filled with GF5 SN+).
 
Me: WFH will save me money, I don't have to commute any more
Also Me: Drives more mileage every than to his job was anyway

I will admit, the roads I choose are a lot more fun.
Different accounts, at least for me I'm spending a lot less on other forms of 'entertainment' and I'm a more pleasant person to be around with too 😇
 
Two year service this morning. Once again took my own oil, once again told they had the right spec 🙄. For some reason they jacked the tyre pressures up to 38 so that’ll be changed later. Aside from that service was quick and staff are helpful so pretty stress free.
 
Back
Top