GR86 Vehicle Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also sent mine 24/12, nothing back yet. Checked all junk folders etc too.

Wondering what their response is going to be when I asked to be reimbursed for my tracker installation and subsequent subscription costs. Probably wouldn’t be far off £500 now after two years.
 
Had my response this morning offering reimbursement of £500 on provision of an invoice for fitting a third party alarm system.

I sent one back asking if I could be reimbursed for the Thatcham tracker I had installed in lieu of an approved alarm system. Seeing as they can’t recommend an alarm, or even where to get one, I’d think this should be a pretty reasonable request.
 
Last edited:
Had a response today. It's not just a £500 payment which I kind of hoped; but they will reimburse me up to £500 for the fitting of an aftermarket alarm (while stating that they cant supply one, nor fit an aftermarket one, nor even advise who I can approach to install one).

Going to have a think. Not sure how reliable aftermarket systems are, and how much work to get them fitted. Don't want to be left with a Phoenix Nights style alarm which I can't shut off, not have to deal with spare fobs, etc. Really I'd just want a proper, incorporated alarm...you know, like most car makers fit :/

I haven't had my reply yet as I didn't supply my vin or anything. They just said to me they have forwarded it from Buy Online to customer relations. I would just get a quote and send it to them then get the £500 then decide what you want to do. I cannot see why we should be out of pocket to pay for something that should have been there in the first place.
 
I haven't had my reply yet as I didn't supply my vin or anything. They just said to me they have forwarded it from Buy Online to customer relations. I would just get a quote and send it to them then get the £500 then decide what you want to do. I cannot see why we should be out of pocket to pay for something that should have been there in the first place.
The way I read it, they will only reimburse you actual after fitting, not just getting a quote.
 
also had my response from Toyota - obv now with the number of us emailing they have now the generic response of basically - 'no alarm, 3rd party, not covered by warranty, provide invoice and they will pay out' . They have stopped the £500 payment so we'll likely all have to go through ombudsman if we want the cash.
 
Last edited:
I haven't had my reply yet as I didn't supply my vin or anything. They just said to me they have forwarded it from Buy Online to customer relations. I would just get a quote and send it to them then get the £500 then decide what you want to do. I cannot see why we should be out of pocket to pay for something that should have been there in the first place.
this was also my idea, get a quote and then try and get the £500
 
They almost certainly read this forum, so I'd be careful about putting your plans to bend the rules of their offer on here.
 
i'm not going to do it . not fair on the vendor of the alarm knowing if you might not actually go ahead with it. if we get it , we get it . Im not that bothered.
 
also had my response from Toyota - obv now with the number of us emailing they have now the generic response of basically - 'no alarm, 3rd party, may well void warranty, provide invoice and they will pay out' . They have stopped the £500 payment so we'll likely all have to go through ombudsman if we want the cash.

I wonder what the Toyota UK customer relations team do at weekends once they’re done shooting themselves in the feet all week. Watching this all play out (on top of the parking sensor and auto dimming mirrors saga among others) has been a master class in how to piss off your customer base.
 
i gave up on the parking sensors.. asked enough times and didn't get anywhere . TBH , as like the alarm i'm not that bothered
 
I was interested in the parking sensors until I found out is was the rear ones. Already got a camera there, would have taken some free front ones though.
 
They almost certainly read this forum, so I'd be careful about putting your plans to bend the rules of their offer on here.

It isn't bending rules though is it. You want to put an alarm in that the car was meant to come with why should you have to pay for it then claim after?

The court will side with everyone if Toyota have paid out already.
 
My delusional logic leads me down the path of:

Toyota would have priced it based upon it's specification as well as market tolerance. At the time their specification and website blurb showed it to have a feature which it didn't. Toyota GB genuinely didn't seem to know it didn't have one, therefore their pricing was based on a false premise. We have all paid for something we didn't get - to suggest that if we want an alarm we pay then get compensated assumes the price we paid was correct whether it had an alarm or not. Any compensation is around the mis-selling of the product (cf dieselgate), not just the alarm.

Toyota still have bridges to mend around trust from the selling process as a whole and now some of the servicing shenanigans documented here. Were this happening to a high volume product I would hope that Toyota would want to calm the masses. We are a small group with a car they no longer need to market here.

Mistakes happen, it's how you overcome and resolve them that matters.
 
Absolutely. Toyota’s attitude is nothing short of disgraceful. Unless there’s a swift change of approach, I won’t be buying another. I quite liked the idea of a Corolla Hybrid as my next daily, but I’ve absolutely no faith in their customer service or backup, so I’ll be looking elsewhere at this rate.
 
Absolutely. Toyota’s attitude is nothing short of disgraceful. Unless there’s a swift change of approach, I won’t be buying another. I quite liked the idea of a Corolla Hybrid as my next daily, but I’ve absolutely no faith in their customer service or backup, so I’ll be looking elsewhere at this rate.
Could not agree more. I personally have looked no more at the new Landcruiser. Also, we have a VW ID.5 on the drive instead of the Toyota bZ4X - no big shakes to them but it's two lost sales from us.
 
Started the ball rolling on my Toyota alarm issue,

Does anyone know of a reliable way to look up the build sheet for my car?

Most Vin decoders that I have come across don't recognise my vin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top