GR Yaris Lower grip tyres discussion.

Mintmansam

Obsessed member
Dec 16, 2021
Replaced the all seasons with the new Asymmetric 6 from goodyear. Theoretically lower grip then PS4S but not much, but definitely 'lower dry grip' then many aftermarket choices. In my case being 235 on a 17x9 inch rim they are quite balloony and initially they feel good at a relatively high 2,4 bar all round, and that should help reduce grip a bit and also any parasite noises. Will see if I up it a bit further later on without them getting skittish.

Grip is maybe bit higher then I ideally wanted, but analysing test data, the difference is minimal to the Nankang mentioned higher up and it's a better tyre on all other properties that also matter, I didn't fancy paying near enough the same money for a chinese tyre, the GY were great value. And at approx 9kg it's a light tyre and it does feel it too.

I'll have to work up my driving skills some more to compensate for some lost playfullness, but grip communication is up for sure, a fair trade-off. And so far, no squealing in enthusiastic curve taking at higher ambients, which was a bit of a deal breaker with the all seasons....
I switched to asymmetrics on another car from Bridgestone. I chose asymmetrics as it had a softer sidewall and (maybe due to sidewall) it was lower peak grip but more progressive. Avon ZV7 are also nice, good wet grip and progressive dry slip. I have them on another car which has no TC, and it’s easy to control wheelspin on a launch, you can balance it very nicely

Reactions: Onehp
D

Deleted member 534

Guests
Be careful not to kill your steering feel when switching tyres. I learnt this when moving to Kumho's from standard spec Bridgestone on my Accord R.

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Be careful not to kill your steering feel when switching tyres. I learnt this when moving to Kumho's from standard spec Bridgestone on my Accord R.

Cheers for the warning. A little I'm willing to sacrifice, I'll also dial in toe again as toe tends to be tyre specific. If I don't like the tyres, I just sell them on and book the difference as leaning money.

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
20220613_155901.jpg

205 vs 235, Nankang vs Goodyear

So far hot and dry conditions, lots of movement on weight transfer in the car, either disconcerting or, according to me, very much fun. Not much steering feel, changed to toe-in it's bit better with some precision at least, akin to winter wheels feel (in cold winter, not summer then it's terrible). Car flows over bumps in a completely different manner, despite both are 17" and tyre pressure on the Nankangs is 2,8bar hot. Yes they screetch when really sliding but not too badly, very progressive in the dry. Still looking very fresh despite 'testing' conditions.

Grip levels low for a GRY, but still on 'normal car' levels. Fun pushing around but wouldn't want to go lower again.

So far liking it but still need to test wet conditions to see if they are a keeper.

Last edited:

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Quick rain review of the Nankan Sportnex AS2+ in 205/50R17 in summer temps.
They grip surprisingly well in the wet. Rated A in the wet, I believe it, older tests aren't as positive but I believe the compound has been updated. And because they grip so well in the wet, they are maybe not very progressive into slip, got some skipping at occasion but it's not so bad that it's in the way of some sideway antics if one so wishes, and then still definitely more manageable on the edge of slip then the even higher grip and wider PS4S and Asymmetric 6 I tried.

Also very good in avoiding aquaplaning with very open grooves and narrow as they are.

So especially for a chinese made (Taiwan brand) tyre they turn out to be a bit of a wet performance tyre.

In summary, I'm staying on them. I want to try them on a slalom event some time...

macca

Mar 18, 2022
Ive been running Nexen SURG4. Its a 200 treadwear tyre with a track type tread pattern. Very impressed with these on the road and track. No as quick as an AR1 or R888R (100 or lower TW) dot rated tyre on the track but they handle heat very well and pump water very well in the wet. I have been really impressed, they look good and the price is great.

Reactions: Michael Knight

Kolbenkopp

Devoted member
Jul 1, 2022
Germany
Thanks Onehp for staying on this topic. I don't have much GRY experience to add with just 1k done on the new car. But it sure goes *fast* in the real world. I expected it to be quicker than our Fiesta ST point to point. Just not by that margin. Will hopefully have time for a few proper "for fun" drives this month, but gut feeling the 'less grip' research is going to be valuable for me. So -- thanks again for getting this kicked off :).

Regarding tyre choices looks like I'll stay on 18". Not in the mood for dealing with our local TÜV -- which would be needed as no 17" for the Yaris have the proper papers.

I'll get a winter set with all seasons in 225/40/18. Need that for insurance reasons, even though sadly no real winter here. A good opportunity to keep them into next season and see how they do in summer. I'd usually just get one of the premium brands, liked the CC+ and Bridgstone EVO on the Golf and model 3. But they may already be "to good"? Will have to dig a bit.

Regarding summers, probably silly idea. But with the little box being on the noisy side anyway, and fuel being expensive: what about EV optimised summers? In theory should be good for a) noise b) rolling resistance c) durability under EV torque punishment. Something the Yoko Advan dB v552 perhaps?

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
I missed your post @Kolbenkopp, those yokos might work...

Anyway reviving this thread. I 'm not planning on remounting the Nankangs on the winter rims as ironically the high wet grip made that they weren't as fun as I had hoped when I was hoping to have the most fun. And in the dry they were also quite loud quite fast as ambients rose, so not ideal for fun again if people from far and away are looking up and expecting a crash to unfold...

Running the Asymmetric 6 on the summer rims, 17" 235 and it's still a great tyre. Progressive and not very noisy at all. But high grip everywhere obviously so they are fun in the fast sense, but have still been on the lookout for that elusive lower grip but capable tyre.

Earlier this year I became aware of a road legal drift tyre with threadwear (edited) 360 and available here as relatively narrow 215/45R17 from japanese Valino, the Ebisu Matsuri. Classed (edited) D for wet grip and 71dB. Worth a try, will report....

Last edited:

AdvEvo

Devoted member
Mar 8, 2022
My Valino are getting mounted this week. Sunday i have a wet driftday see how those go.

• Love

Lanman

Obsessed member
Dec 19, 2021
Brisbane
Surprised how like my Dunlop Direzza 3 this tire looks . See picture. D 3 s great on track. Control tire for GR 86 series in Aus . Good in wet till Aus type rain !
IMG_8061.png

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
20230502_132927.jpg

215/45R17 Valino Ebisu Matsuri/Greeva 08D
vs
205/50R17 Nankang AS-2+ tw320

Very similar widths...also diameter although the Nankangs are worn a little

Valinos are 10,2kg

RichP

Absorbed member
Feb 27, 2023
Sussex.
An unexpected outcome, I switched the GRY to Michelin Cross Climate 2's in December for an Alpine trip, and still have them on! Like the look and general 'less grip' at making progress road pace. I'm not doing track days and would say the B road blasts around Sussex are less than 10% of my driving time as a daily. Loving the go anywhere, any conditions sort of road MTB vibe, hence my half used PS4S's for sale on the Marketplace!!

• Love

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
An unexpected outcome, I switched the GRY to Michelin Cross Climate 2's in December for an Alpine trip, and still have them on! Like the look and general 'less grip' at making progress road pace. I'm not doing track days and would say the B road blasts around Sussex are less than 10% of my driving time as a daily. Loving the go anywhere, any conditions sort of road MTB vibe, hence my half used PS4S's for sale on the Marketplace!!
Let me know if they squal like a stabbed pig pushing on in high summer temps, if not definitely interesting!

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
Surprised how like my Dunlop Direzza 3 this tire looks . See picture. D 3 s great on track. Control tire for GR 86 series in Aus . Good in wet till Aus type rain ! View attachment 16340
Great track tyre, and also polar opposite of the objective here as these are perhaps the best gripping tyres out there for this platform...

AdvEvo

Devoted member
Mar 8, 2022
This is my drift tire on wet for the Yaris. Insa Turbo ice retreated tires. lots of movement in the tire with these.

these will be mounted in the comming weeks.

Attachments

IMG_0890D.jpeg
Reactions: Michael Knight

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
This is my drift tire on wet for the Yaris. Insa Turbo ice retreated tires. lots of movement in the tire with these.

these will be mounted in the comming weeks.
Nice, if it would only rain here I could just leave my nordic winter tyres on year round. The way they go into slip then is just soooo nice. Unfortunately I want a single summer season tyre that is also fun when it's hot and dry and usuable on a daily driver car.... Still trying to see if I'm not chasing my own tail in this and should just surrender in some compromise...

Reactions: Max

AdvEvo

Devoted member
Mar 8, 2022
I think you can not find a summer tire for the Yaris to get the same feeling as on nordic tires. I tried lots.

cheap chinese ones but all of them have still to much grip.