GR86 GR86 - What wheels and tyres are you thinking about?

ninjin

Obsessed member
Aug 29, 2023
I'm still spending far too much time looking at different wheel / tyre / suspension offerings.

I'd love a set of Regamasters but I can't see myself being able to stretch to that budget

I came across these Kansei KNP wheels recently and think they might be the ones i go for. They have a great looking 5-spoke design and have the same/similar construction process as flow-forming, although they call it "Formlite". They're a relatively new company but reviews seem good from what I've been able to find.

View attachment 27081

They are available In 18x8.5. The only offset is ET35 which from what I can see is about as wide as you can go without silly amounts of -ve camber. The fitment can be seen here on S15RSG's car although I'll be looking at fitting 235/40/18 tyres for a bit more compliency.
https://www.gr-zoo.com/attachments/img_4587-jpg.16099/
I did quite fancy a 245 tyre on a 9J but at et35 I think i'll be asking for trouble. Any thoughts on this?

Now I need to make my mind up on suspesnion, but I'm already leaning towards the Bilsteins he has fitted. I REALLY don't want a crashy ride and the hike in spring-rate offered by most coilovers puts me off.

I've been dropping hints to my wife over the past few months such as, "I'm going to change the wheels because there will be more tyre options - It's almost like a long term investment." so i might pull the trigger soon.

What are you going to do with your car? If it is ever only going to be a road car with the odd track day (2-3 times a year) then I can recommend the Tein RX1 I have fitted to my car.

I find them actually more comfortable in day to day driving than the OEM setup.

As my car is solely a week end toy, I'm considering actually changing out the Tein RX1 for something more Track focused.

Reactions: GRistopher

ninjin

Obsessed member
Aug 29, 2023
How many people have gone down to 17" wheels? I'm considering doing so mainly to improve the ride a smidge, but also for aesthetics as well.

I don' think a 17" will look better than a 18" on the GR86. The 18" is the perfect size.

I was orignally looking for a 17" for my trackday wheels but in the end went with 18" as with the 17" there weren't the size options (width and offset) I was looking for.

AME-Tracer.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 17.31.30_77dbc025.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 17.31.30_741f9ca5.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 17.31.30_709fc758.jpg

ninjin

Obsessed member
Aug 29, 2023
For that money I'm buying Rays!

Unless you are getting them like 50% off.

Delahorney

Totally Hooked
Apr 6, 2022
South Wales
I don' think a 17" will look better than a 18" on the GR86. The 18" is the perfect size.

I was orignally looking for a 17" for my trackday wheels but in the end went with 18" as with the 17" there weren't the size options (width and offset) I was looking for.

View attachment 27125

View attachment 27126

View attachment 27127

View attachment 27128
Glad you’ve posted pics of 5 spokes as that’s what I’m thinking of getting. And after seeing these maybe I do need to stay at 18… so difficult!

Car looks the nuts mate.

ninjin

Obsessed member
Aug 29, 2023
Thanks for the kind words and deep down you know 18s is the way forward... :)

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
Tests on 17s, 18s and 19s often favour 19s for handling (depending on size of the sidewall, but with our sizes) and 17s for comfort, with 18s a good balance for the road. But as Dela says, whether you'd notice much for general driving I'm not sure.
What tests are these? I ran 17s and 18s on my GT86 and preferred the handling on the 17s, the car felt more nimble.
For that money I'm buying Rays!

Unless you are getting them like 50% off.
The thing is Rays won't be able to compete with the weight of those wheels, they are next level.

GRistopher

Obsessed member
Oct 23, 2023
What are you going to do with your car? If it is ever only going to be a road car with the odd track day (2-3 times a year) then I can recommend the Tein RX1 I have fitted to my car.

I find them actually more comfortable in day to day driving than the OEM setup.

As my car is solely a week end toy, I'm considering actually changing out the Tein RX1 for something more Track fofocused.
It's predominantly for road. I have already done a track day though.

The main reason for wanting compliance is the roads I tend to drive. They're usually country B roads and moorland roads where the surface is often really bad. The compliance is more to keep me from skitting across ruts and potholes.

I also don't want the car looking like a monster truck with wider wheels. Having some adjustability to make the wheels fit and dial in a nice setup so the car will soak up some hard driving on roads with a poor surface is the main goal.

I like track days but I do fairly regular karting now so it's not my main priority for the car.

ninjin

Obsessed member
Aug 29, 2023
The thing is Rays won't be able to compete with the weight of those wheels, they are next level.

I never realised forged Rays were that heavy, over 8kg a rim. That's more than my AME rim, which is only flow formed.

If your chasing low weight, then the TWS fits the bill. No wonder they so expensive :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ZN8

ninjin

Obsessed member
Aug 29, 2023
It's predominantly for road. I have already done a track day though.

The main reason for wanting compliance is the roads I tend to drive. They're usually country B roads and moorland roads where the surface is often really bad. The compliance is more to keep me from skitting across ruts and potholes.

I also don't want the car looking like a monster truck with wider wheels. Having some adjustability to make the wheels fit and dial in a nice setup so the car will soak up some hard driving on roads with a poor surface is the main goal.

I like track days but I do fairly regular karting now so it's not my main priority for the car.
Then I think the RX1 will definitely be a contender. I think the day to day comfort comes from the what they call hydraulic bump stop.

Triggaaar

Totally Hooked
Jul 6, 2023
Brighton
What tests are these? I ran 17s and 18s on my GT86 and preferred the handling on the 17s, the car felt more nimble.

I think it would be YT videos with back to back testing (a while since I looked). With your 17s and 18s were you using the same tyres? I'm surprised the 17s were better to be honest. The side walls should move more and that's about the only difference on a flat surface.

AdvEvo

Devoted member
Mar 8, 2022
TC105X is a little cheaper but is a nice lightweight wheel also!

Lightweight wheels drives so much better!

Reactions: Grblue86

GRistopher

Obsessed member
Oct 23, 2023
Those Kansei wheels i was looking at are over 10kg by the looks of things and i keep finding myself going back to looking at RPF1s in 17x9 ET45. They're under 7KG each which I think would be a VERY noticable difference over a 10KG wheel.

A popular size for them is 245/40/17 but the tyre rack test determined that a 225/45/17 performed better, especially in the wet. I wouldn't want to go for this much stretch so I'm now looking at a 235/45/17, which should hopefully be a great comprimise between tyre meat and support.

What size tyres did you run on your 17s?

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
My comparison was against stock GT86 wheels, which ran 215/45 with the wheels weighing 9.2kg and 18" Advans which ran 225/40 and weighed 8.2kg.

If you go for the ET45 9J RPF1s tyre choice will be critical for clearance reasons, they will be very close to the front spring perches, ideally you want coilovers for the smaller diameter springs.

EDIT: ET45 won't fit with stock struts, just checked.

Shoggy

Totally Hooked
Jul 18, 2022
Germany
My Odyssey for a set of new wheels has come to an end.
Tomason TN25 Superlight 18x8 with 225/40 R18 Good year eagle F1 Asymmetric 6
You and others will love them. I've been asked about the rims so many times 😎

Maybe swap the screws with black ones. Tomason also offers the covers in bronze. Adds to the overall look even more.

tn25_2.jpg

Reactions: Jokurt