GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

Someone on the waiting list for a manual in red will be getting a nice phone call if the cars get released from Derby any time soon. I'm due to complete on a dream property purchase in a couple of weeks and it's leaving me with a smaller financial safety net than I'm happy with. The £31k that was set aside for this purchase would make me feel a lot more secure if it was sat in my bank and with the UK's finances as they are I don't feel comfortable spending it on a car. My current house is not yet on the market to compound matters.

Few acres in 'area of outstanding natural beauty' trumps purchase of cool RWD coupe though.
 
Someone on the waiting list for a manual in red will be getting a nice phone call if the cars get released from Derby any time soon. I'm due to complete on a dream property purchase in a couple of weeks and it's leaving me with a smaller financial safety net than I'm happy with. The £31k that was set aside for this purchase would make me feel a lot more secure if it was sat in my bank and with the UK's finances as they are I don't feel comfortable spending it on a car. My current house is not yet on the market to compound matters.

Few acres in 'area of outstanding natural beauty' trumps purchase of cool RWD coupe though.
Hopefully they will jump all the way down the list to just after 11am!
 
Hopefully they will jump all the way down the list to just after 11am!
Maybe, I'm hoping that Toyota are slow deciding on a fix for whatever the issue is though. If they can drag it out for 3 or 4 months all will probably be ok again. In the big scheme of things though I'm happy to forego the car to keep my financial safety net so won't be losing sleep over it if I have to cancel.
 
Maybe, I'm hoping that Toyota are slow deciding on a fix for whatever the issue is though. If they can drag it out for 3 or 4 months all will probably be ok again. In the big scheme of things though I'm happy to forego the car to keep my financial safety net so won't be losing sleep over it if I have to cancel.

You could always do a colour change and go to the back of the queue. Although that would mean getting your car in 18 months rather than the few that you’re after.
 
I'm due to complete on a dream property purchase in a couple of weeks and it's leaving me with a smaller financial safety net than I'm happy with. The £31k that was set aside for this purchase would make me feel a lot more secure if it was sat in my bank and with the UK's finances as they are I don't feel comfortable spending it on a car.
Congrats on the new house!

Totally appreciate the comments around financial security and I think that the longer Toyota drag out delivery the more people will start to think the same as the increasing cost of living becomes a reality for people this winter.

Monthly repayment on a brand new car probably very close in reality to the increase in gas and electric bills for lots of people! :(
 
Congrats on the new house!

Totally appreciate the comments around financial security and I think that the longer Toyota drag out delivery the more people will start to think the same as the increasing cost of living becomes a reality for people this winter.

Monthly repayment on a brand new car probably very close in reality to the increase in gas and electric bills for lots of people! :(
House definitely comes first. For me it's a bit of man maths. Bike is ending in Sept and is only a little more for the 86. Even if there's a part ex and some cash needed to get it. Car is on it's last legs so needs to go.

But I can see more cancelling the longer this goes on. It doesn't take much to deplete savings. My last MOT bill was half what the car is worth. The money for the 86 is kept separate and I'm OK for now but with everything going up, many of us are cutting things right back as it is. I am to make sure I have enough to enjoy it when it arrives.
 
Someone at work just asked where my new car was...... spent 15 minutes trying to explain everything, they then independently found the engine issue stuff on twitter, and the blue car that set on fire and have seriously questioned my mental health for still waiting for my one to arrive :ROFLMAO: 🤦‍♂️
 
Someone at work just asked where my new car was...... spent 15 minutes trying to explain everything, they then independently found the engine issue stuff on twitter, and the blue car that set on fire and have seriously questioned my mental health for still waiting for my one to arrive :ROFLMAO: 🤦‍♂️
Could have been worse 🤔 if you had ordered an automatic and been on placed on sick leave 😂😂😂
 
Going to an Alpine dealer tomorrow. Not sure if it's 20k better than the GR86 but at least it's a car I can physically see and feel.
They are nice but just about got space to stow a small smart phone in the cabin 😉 If it’s a new one by the time you’ve added the “desirable bits“ probably nearer £30k more than a GR86 🤔
 
And still has the cruise control stalk off a Renault Trafic
It has to be said that the interior does not feel “premium” mostly likely because it isn’t, centre console felt like it was loose on the demo car I drove but I believe “they are all like that”. Definitely feels different but and not enough luggage space for the CEO on a day trip to Whitby , let alone a weekend away 🤣
 
I owned an Alpine - one of the first ones at launch. It was a fantastic car and I'd happily own another one. Super cheap to run as well and had all the right driving dynamics to cover B road blasts, track days and long distance journeys. Seats were superb and storage was never an issue for me. Two 45 litre cabin bags and a couple of sports bag in the back. You go on driving trips and weekends away for the drive not to dress up for dinner parties!

Made more friends with it than with any other car I've owned. No idea why I parted ways with it in the end and I still regret it. I waited over 18 months for it to arrive so count yourselves lucky if you get your GR86 in the next 12 months.
 
I'm now thinking that I might keep the MX-5, maintain the GR order and cancel the Emira order. Looking at the way of the world at the moment and that the GR is half the price of the Emira, it might be the more prudent thing to do.
Keep the MX-5 around until I get the GR sometime in Q3 2086

Tomorrow, of course, will be a different story, I'll be back at looking to buy an Alpine!
 
I'm now thinking that I might keep the MX-5, maintain the GR order and cancel the Emira order. Looking at the way of the world at the moment and that the GR is half the price of the Emira, it might be the more prudent thing to do.
Keep the MX-5 around until I get the GR sometime in Q3 2086

Tomorrow, of course, will be a different story, I'll be back at looking to buy an Alpine!
Sometimes it is actually quite hard work being a car enthusiast!

I imagine the GR, Emira and Alpine will all hold their values so you probably won't lose out whichever ones you have and whatever order you have them in
 
Well I picked up my new GR Yaris last week…which replaces my old one that went to make way for the GR86. In honesty with the lack of communication GR86 will need to be mega special for me to complete on the order, I’m keeping order in until I’ve had a test drive I think.
 
Not thinking of cancelling but wondering what fun/unusual car to get to occupy me until my 2024 order.

Always liked these, never driven one though…

 
received_5499828026765017.jpeg

Picked it up two days ago, absolutely delighted with it 🤩🤩
 
Back
Top