GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

SOme
Some interesting points
Thanks for your thoughts @drz252 .

Out of curiosity, are you a lawyer perchance?

I work with lawyers and you write like one.

For example my lawyer friends are the only people I know who use the word 'traduce'...
 
Toyota’s priority right now should be kicking the demonstrators out (if they can’t sort out the customers cars in the uk already)asap so they can build the excitement back up for those of us that payed a £1000 deposit months ago.

I’m sure once we have all driven it we won’t mind waiting a few more months

But I have found myself looking at the new civic type r on a few sites. Goes to show how some of us are thinking at the moment
I have a feeling one or more of the demonstrators has failed. They should have been given out for press reviews by now if everything was as per plan.
 
Some of us will make it through this , others will sadly not, but will always be remembered and the friendship of what we all endured will be remain with us forever, it will make us better people 💪

View attachment 7003
It would be nice if we could take delivery of our cars


Before we experience any

(clears throat)


Major winters...
 
It would be nice if we could take delivery of our cars


Before we experience any

(clears throat)


Major winters...
Unfortunately @Silver Fox I fear many in Zoo Company may have to endure one Winter (Major or Minor) ☹️ the really unlucky ones Two Winters ☹️☹️ , but we will get through it 💪😉
 
Last edited:
That's not that embarrassing! it could be worse, in my first year of teaching my ford focus clapped out at the beginning of the New term in September and I had absolutely no money, so I ended up buying a 1997 Vauxhall Corsa from an old boy a few streets away. Mileage was low but the outside was a faded purple with a wrap on the bonnet that was bright blue and had what could only be described as 'soap' bubbles on it. it had a massive dent in the boot and was chocked full of fine white dog hair. It didnt matter how much I hoovered or attacked the seats it was constant. It smelt awfully of wet dog too! But it did only cost me £200, I ended up getting a loan in the end because I couldn't stand the bullying from the Yr10s and 11s over my crappy car :D
(Too many) years ago our old Humanities teacher and year head (bloke) had a bright green Citroen 2CV, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Apparently, 'some' of the students (cough) would demonstrate effective teamwork principles by lifting it up and turning it 180 degrees in the car park from time to time...
 
View attachment 7032Got bored today and went for a spin in this (was booked in for tomorrow). What a machine, anyone who says hair dressers car go have a go, right laugh! Sales guy was sound when I explained my situation and was looking at the moment and assessing options. More than happy for me to give it a thrash. Not the same as a GR86 which I am hoping is more like an extreme MX5, but feels special, cabin quality is excellent and latest tweaks make it look quite aggressive which I like. Let’s be honest, stick a spoiler on anything and it’s much more appealing. Quite liked the DSG which was a surprise, and paddle mode was good. Not comparing apples with apples but if all goes to shit I’m having one.
What are they, 320 odd horsepower like the Golf R?
 
250 ish I think, went well though. Always liked a TT but never owned one. Think the TT blacks are lower and on 20” wheels so seem quite faster as you don’t effortlessly coast down B roads if that makes sense.
One of my customers had an MX5 anniversary edition (mk3) in white and I absolutely loved it before I went and bought a MK4 a few years later. He sold it because although it felt like it was going like hell, his wife could effortlessly keep up in the Range Rover, so he got an F type. I always found this concept confusing, because in this day and age I would rather feel like I was going like hell but be slower, than be going like hell but feel like I was going slow. It’s all about sensation. Points don’t make prizes 😬
Having been subject to amassing of points as a younger man, I agree wholeheartedly. The sensation of going fast with the associated thrills, but within the limit.
 
View attachment 7032Got bored today and went for a spin in this (was booked in for tomorrow). What a machine, anyone who says hair dressers car go have a go, right laugh! Sales guy was sound when I explained my situation and was looking at the moment and assessing options. More than happy for me to give it a thrash. Not the same as a GR86 which I am hoping is more like an extreme MX5, but feels special, cabin quality is excellent and latest tweaks make it look quite aggressive which I like. Let’s be honest, stick a spoiler on anything and it’s much more appealing. Quite liked the DSG which was a surprise, and paddle mode was good. Not comparing apples with apples but if all goes to shit I’m having one.
One of these is on my radar too as an alternative if the whole GR thing goes south so good to hear that you liked it so I must be thinking along the right lines, my local Audi dealer has a pre reg black edition may go for a nosey tomorrow 🤔
 
View attachment 7032Got bored today and went for a spin in this (was booked in for tomorrow). What a machine, anyone who says hair dressers car go have a go, right laugh! Sales guy was sound when I explained my situation and was looking at the moment and assessing options. More than happy for me to give it a thrash. Not the same as a GR86 which I am hoping is more like an extreme MX5, but feels special, cabin quality is excellent and latest tweaks make it look quite aggressive which I like. Let’s be honest, stick a spoiler on anything and it’s much more appealing. Quite liked the DSG which was a surprise, and paddle mode was good. Not comparing apples with apples but if all goes to shit I’m having one.
Incredibly different proposition to a GR86 in almost every single way.
A TT is an impressive machine but not a driver's car in my opinion.
 
Probably agree, more along the lines of a poor man’s GT. Found it entertaining enough though.
Don’t get me wrong, I was 100% excited about the 86 when it was announced but it’s been a painful experience. The way a lightweight RWD car drives is amazing, but there is also a lot to be said for something that’s fairly entertaining in the corners, reasonably fast and has one of the finest cabins in its class which makes you feel like your in something a bit special. I think ultimately the 86 buying experience has poisoned me a little, now I question it.
I read several reviews saying it's got one of the finest cabins in it's class.

I was disappointed with it after reading that.

Loads of plastic, seats feel weak, drivers bolster showed wear after only 4,000 miles (I'm a little chap) no large infotainment screen if you're into them, passenger can't play with the radio (could be a good thing lol)

Dash layout is lovely, digital dials were a novelty at the time (2017) buttons inside the air vents cool.

If you want the finest cabin then buy a 981 Boxster/Cayman that's got the extended leather. Full leather dash with stitching, full leather door cards, better seats. I know they're 30k for a 5/6 year old one, but there's a reason for that.
 
The good thing about buying cars is that you can try things you might never have even considered and really like them.

I might have never considered a TT (or anything else for that matter), try one, and really click with it.

Plus our tastes alter as we get older or our circumstances change (e.g. annual mileage or journey type).

Plus it's pretty easy to offload and replace something if after a few months you don't really like it. Damn sight easier than moving house for example.

Although I don't think I've ever had a house move anywhere near as challenging as this binfire of a GR86 experience!
 
One of my customers had an MX5 anniversary edition (mk3) in white and I absolutely loved it before I went and bought a MK4 a few years later. He sold it because although it felt like it was going like hell, his wife could effortlessly keep up in the Range Rover, so he got an F type. I always found this concept confusing, because in this day and age I would rather feel like I was going like hell but be slower, than be going like hell but feel like I was going slow. It’s all about sensation. Points don’t make prizes 😬
100% true. What's the old adage, more fun to dive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Modern stuff is almost too good, so easy to cruise at a ton and it feels like your doing 40(n)
 
Right then it's officially evening - we've given him long enough.

Has anyone seen @LU71KEE or is he still driving his gorgeous new Supra on this delightful summer evening with a massive grin on his Chevy Chase??
Sorry I’m late 🤣

Picked it up at 6pm with 9 delivery miles and just rocked in at home with 160 miles on the clock. 😊

D92C5E88-AFD3-422B-A068-FC67D9DE7B77.webp
6B0F0411-BA79-4FD3-8777-BE4B602EBF8D.webp
4EF39793-756C-479A-9F22-615EF1D78DFE.webp
754D0FE4-D313-4726-ABCE-767FB12473FA.webp
908D8353-7048-4042-9ED2-D704F16C0857.webp
 
After saying I'm not cancelling my order, looks like I might be heading that way now... a nitrous blue RS has just came up for sale nearby me, and considering my car will be late next year by the sounds of things, I may have to seriously look at this. Plus it would be wayyy better for carrying guitars, amps, and definitely people 🤣 I'll see how that one goes and I'll keep yous updated, but thank yous all for being such a great community, even if the buying experience hasn't been what anybody would have hoped for!
 
After saying I'm not cancelling my order, looks like I might be heading that way now... a nitrous blue RS has just came up for sale nearby me, and considering my car will be late next year by the sounds of things, I may have to seriously look at this. Plus it would be wayyy better for carrying guitars, amps, and definitely people 🤣 I'll see how that one goes and I'll keep yous updated, but thank yous all for being such a great community, even if the buying experience hasn't been what anybody would have hoped for!
I guess you mean a mk3 Focus. We bought one new in 2016 without a test drive. Sold it for our current FK8.
Initially loved the car but eventually couldn't live with the suspension.
You may not approve of the Honda the way it looks but in my opinion its the better car.
 
Nice looking motor @LU71KEE , IMO definitely one of the most striking car shapes out there at the moment irrespective of price , enjoy and don‘t forget to keep us posted on how much fun you’re having in a car with a “proper box“ 👍😎
I genuinely love the auto. I’ve never had a modern auto and quite frankly. For cruising around it’s an absolute joy!
 
Back
Top