GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

Also: not sure that reviewer gets it really.

And: I am so tempted by an MX5 nc2 with Meister R suspension for less than a third of the price of the GR86 🤔
I have an NC1 with coilovers (can't remember the brand) and a light remap, it was 10% the price of a GR86 and it's bloody ace!
 
My Dad bought a 1.8 NB around the same time I picked up my GT86, I had a go and it did have me questioning why I felt the need to pay 10 times more for my car. MX5s are very good bang for your buck.
 
I'm not planning to cancel, but I'm thinking about buying another car and flipping the 86.

The main thing stopping me is the used car bubble and the hope I'll enjoy the 86
This is where I am. Based on others comments from 'The Call' it looks like my car will be one of the last to arrive. At that point I won't need it and if the residuals are high, I'll sell it and take the profit. If residuals are down, I'll get my deposit back.
 
I have an NC1 with coilovers (can't remember the brand) and a light remap, it was 10% the price of a GR86 and it's bloody ace!
Are you keeping it, or swapping for the GR86?

I had a 1.6 NA a few years back and loved that car, but hardly drove it as my kids were still quite young. Now, at 18 and 15, I think I can get away with leaving them to their own devices (literally, in the case of my son)!
 
Are you keeping it, or swapping for the GR86?

I had a 1.6 NA a few years back and loved that car, but hardly drove it as my kids were still quite young. Now, at 18 and 15, I think I can get away with leaving them to their own devices (literally, in the case of my son)!
I'm planning on keeping it, the tricky part will be convincing the wife that by having a pair of two seater cars counts as having 4 seats!
Anyone ever had/driven one of those BBR GTI MX5s?

https://bbrgti.com/
No, but the Super 200 with a new exhaust is very much on my wish list.
 
Last edited:
Well, I've just booked in a test drive for the 2.0 and 3.0 litre Supra's for tomorrow.
I'm also trying to get hold of the dealership regarding the aforementioned Mustang V8
 
I'm planning on keeping it, the tricky part will be convincing the wife that by having a pair of two seater cars counts as having 4 seats!

No, buy the Super 200 with a new exhaust is very much on my wish list.
I've been there with MX5's and owned an NA that had a full engine rebuild, port/polish/light skim. A Racing Beat Air Intake and full exhaust, Meisters etc etc. It was a brilliant wee thing but safety became a concern after one of my buddies nearly came a cropper hitting a rock in his Turbo'd NA. Crumple zones weren't a thing back in the nineties but the extra bracing he had fitted probably saved his legs. I take my son out in my cars so this was a big factor for me. I previously had motorbikes and the NA was a first step in becoming a bit more safety conscious.

This led to looking at NC's of which I tried several but at 6ft 2" the folding hardtop model was too tight for headroom but the soft top worked after fitting lowering brackets. I sourced a nice one from Roddisons that had just had Meisters fitted and corner weighted. With a good geo set up and a cobalt back box this car was all set for a euro road trip but covid happened. I also wanted an all year round car and the soft top just wasn't suitable for this. It did drive well and the cliche 'cornered on rails' was bang on. Although I would have needed to take it back to Roddisons or BBR to get the kind of performance from it that let it down. MX5's can become expensive and you can easily double or treble the purchase price to sort the handling and get it north of 200bhp where it needs to be.

I was starting to consider a late model BRZ but I had issues with the outdated exterior/interior design and the performance. Then the GR86 happened. In my opinion they nailed the redesign which made it a much more desirable proposition. With the increased power and engine improvements I finally had a solution that ticked every box.

I was ecstatic when I secured one of the cars and although the initial excitement has taken a dip due to the issues we've all had to get around I still expect to take delivery and have a massive grin come collection day :D

Although I do think TUK should consider this as their 2023/24 marketing slogan... :ROFLMAO:

Toyota Slogan.png



12509390_1044674475589490_411620229873761253_n.jpg
26634069661_e8a387c379_o.JPG
IMG_2378.jpg
 
I don't fit in MX5's so was never an option. Plus the GR86 is more practical and can still carry stuff for hobbies in them
Yip, that's why it's highly unlikely I'll be cancelling. It's a much more workable proposition for me as well.

Although I was massively impressed by the GRY I drove recently but I'd have to go down the lowering brackets route with that and I've been there and done that with the MX5's. In theory the GR86 works straight out the box.
 
For the most part he was comparing it to the 2.3 litre eco boost...

True but either way he's clueless and doesn't understand sports cars. Chris Harris said it best, the GR86 is a ten tenths car, it comes alive on the limit whereas the Mustang would be a seven tenths car and with a kerb weight of 1800Kg you'd be understeering in to the next galaxy.
 
I wonder - how much is the car being 'a Toyota' (and of course being Japanese) play in to all this?

The decades-old generally accepted notion (you could even say cliché) is that Japanese cars are trouble-free, reliable, well-engineered etc. This is generally supported in customer satisfaction and reliability surveys.

As any of us involved in project management/quality improvement/PRINCE2/lean/Six Sigma and all that stuff know, Toyota is often cited as a paragon of efficient, effective , productive working. (I may have gently mocked this assumption here) :)

This may play into the impact of all the palaver. Some of us would have gravitated to a brand new Japanese car with a warranty rather than a ten year old Cayman (for example) - for 'convenience'.

So we have certain expectations in terms of vehicle reliability and a smooth customer experience.

As an aside , I had an Alfa Romeo previously which I ran for three years. The car and the dealer I bought it from and had it serviced by were absolutely faultless. If they made a new sports car I'd be back there, no question.

The CEO (and Director of Travel and Tourism) can’t wait for the Alfa Tonale RHD demo cars to arrive in September , I feel the pressure building (and Alfa Red is FOC ) 😉

099112DE-6FD3-4A02-ADE0-3C80B0392A39.webp
57EC6F31-695D-4258-8AC3-FD1F8DA3D974.webp
 
True but either way he's clueless and doesn't understand sports cars. Chris Harris said it best, the GR86 is a ten tenths car, it comes alive on the limit whereas the Mustang would be a seven tenths car and with a kerb weight of 1800Kg you'd be understeering in to the next galaxy.
I don't think its fair to say he doesn't understand sports car, the point of his test is more about the price more than anything isn't it?
Mustangs are dirt cheap the other side of the pond. He's taken 2 cars that are within a few thousand dollars Canadian of each other and compared their features. He prefers the mustang and he says as much, I dont see the issue with that or how it means he doesn't understand Sports Cars. Perhaps he doesn't understand your idea of a sports car?
All he effectively say is 'Hey for the money I'd buy the Ecoboost'. Certainly not an option we have here because Ford doesnt give us the Ecoboost over here anymore and the only comparable mustang we have is a V8 unless your looking second hand.
 
Back
Top