GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

new Civic Type R gets the camo off this week.

Yeah, so now its unveiled I am thinking twice about this GR.

1300KG ish for the GR86 vs who knows yet but the 2020 Civic was about 1400kg. Still acceptable and don't think 1200kg cars exist these days do they? (joke..) The FK8 was excellent on track, surprisingly fast

Trying to work out which Id prefer longer term and which might be the better car to drive. Thinking the GR86 might be the better car for a back road blast where I'm trying to enjoy a drive without going too fast - 230hp/1300kg should work nicely. Have high hopes it'll be like the current MX5 in terms of pace and more importantly seat of the pants feel. GT86 was brilliant on road and track if you dont mind the fact it only had 200hp in a sea of turbo hatches like Golf Rs etc

Plus, reading about the 23 Type R build numbers and stuff I rekon the Civic could be just as annoying to get hold of.
 
The new Type R looks amazing, much cleaner looking than my FK8.
If it comes in under 40K I think the GR will get flipped.
 
The FK8 was very nearly the replacement for my vRS and it still has loads of room and a was a step on in terms of performance everywhere. Missed out as buying first house had to come first. No doubt this new one will be good. It's gone back down to 19's and has a 265 wide tyres. I'm more than happy with my choice of GR86 though. Already had the epiphany of chasing power is pointless a few years ago and that lightweight and handling is far better. Plus once you have a bike, most cars are slow. That said I do want a 3 car garage eventually. the GR86 is a keeper as it's last of the breed, then maybe a used facelift FK8 next as prices should soften if this is good.
 
I loved my old FK8, was great unless it was wet or the tyres were less than perfect. It also had a really annoying rattle on the dash that no deal was able to fix.
Will be interesting to see the pricing when it's announced.
 
I'm honestly really disappointed with the look of the new Type R, I love how outrageous the FK8 is. For me the new look means its lost some of its magic. I'll be in the minority thought. I'm certainly not going to pay the current prices for a used FK8! I had a 2019 Civic Sport which I loved, it was white and I had the illumination pack added as well as a few other things, the problem was I lost my job in the pandemic and couldn't afford to keep it so flipped it with enough profit in it to buy my current Celica. That's life as they say. It was the only car I'd ever had with a turbo and I did really enjoy it.

I gave up bikes a few years ago after being knocked off for the third time! I Know ill never get the same thrill from a car as my RSV1000R Factory or the Gixxer thou I had, but i'd like to get close.

I'm very much a 'look at me' kind of guy, so my attention is once again turning to a Supra. To me that does feel special, I still worry I'm going to find the GR too basic or not 'look at me' enough. I guess that's my own fault for being a poser.
 
I'm honestly really disappointed with the look of the new Type R, I love how outrageous the FK8 is. For me the new look means its lost some of its magic. I'll be in the minority though.
I'm with you(y)

I won't be cancelling, but I already don't trust the new Sept / Oct estimates and fully expect them to go on for longer if they're waiting on parts. Don't really want a new RWD sports car for the UK winter!!

Found myself back on Autotrader last night which is usually a very slippery slope for me. 🤦‍♂️
 
I'm with you(y)

I won't be cancelling, but I already don't trust the new Sept / Oct estimates and fully expect them to go on for longer if they're waiting on parts. Don't really want a new RWD sports car for the UK winter!!

Found myself back on Autotrader last night which is usually a very slippery slope for me. 🤦‍♂️
I was right there with you! I was looking at all sorts, Type R's (which the prices on are still ridiculous. Some gt86 Aeros, even clicked on a few Nissan 370z's (although I don't think I could justify the MPG on those :)
 
I was right there with you! I was looking at all sorts, Type R's (which the prices on are still ridiculous. Some gt86 Aeros, even clicked on a few Nissan 370z's (although I don't think I could justify the MPG on those :)
Was also on there, thought it was running a bit slower than normal. :ROFLMAO:
 
I was right there with you! I was looking at all sorts, Type R's (which the prices on are still ridiculous. Some gt86 Aeros, even clicked on a few Nissan 370z's (although I don't think I could justify the MPG on those :)
I've been browsing too so my fault as well if it's running slow 😂, no real idea what I'm looking for but if something tickles my fancy I will seriously consider bailing out on the GR, so far no call & like everyone else no idea if & when the car will ever show up😕
 
I've been browsing too so my fault as well if it's running slow 😂, no real idea what I'm looking for but if something tickles my fancy I will seriously consider bailing out on the GR, so far no call & like everyone else no idea if & when the car will ever show up😕
This is a similar to me. I’m not looking for anything particular but I’m open to a range of cars. For me. It’s the idea that I want something fun and something with an ICE.

Mines in the UK now. But knowing it’ll sit there until October, when I could do with a new car now, is beyond irritating. Especially when the day before the news of the delays came out I assumed mine wasn’t far off delivery so chucked my Celica on eBay. 😤
 
download.webp
I'm not thinking of cancelling my order, but sometimes feel a bit pi##ed off with the waiting and no firm date. Then I look on Autotrader and think about what else I could buy. But their isn't much I want. Hyundai i20N, too similar to my Suzuki Swift Sport which is staying (I know its more powerful, but it's a 5 door hatch), mx5 rf (maybe), Lexus gsf / rcf (love them, but can't help but think V8's will bomb in a year or two) and so I end up looking at what to replace the wife's Touran with (next job) and forget about gr86 alternatives. And then I look to gain inspiration from our American friends and realise that I don't need an alternative, I just need to be VERY patient a wait for this....
 
There have been so many things I am dissatisfied with Toyota UK. At the same time, I have always been a great fan of Jaguars, and the only only reason I didn't get one in Hong Kong was because of the poor reputation of reliability and parts availability. Being in the UK now, those reputation would be less of an issue. But then I also really craved for a brand new, pure petrolhead's car, and the GR86 fits that description perfectly. Only Mazda has the other naturally aspirated FR car. Not even BMW offers cars with a proper handbrake anymore. Jaguar has removed the P250 powertrain from the XE, and D200 is just not good enough. I am not interested in any of the FF cars apart from the decades old Mini Cooper S 3-door.

I had intended for the GR86 to be a gift to myself for enduring the miseries of Hong Kong in the past few years. Having looked at all the videos and reviews of GR86 in North America, I still feel that I have made a good choice. I look forward to the unknown date on which I take delivery of my Electric Blue GR86. I don't plan to cancel despite the mess to this day. If anything I will get an X350 XJ as a stop gap.
 
There have been so many things I am dissatisfied with Toyota UK. At the same time, I have always been a great fan of Jaguars, and the only only reason I didn't get one in Hong Kong was because of the poor reputation of reliability and parts availability. Being in the UK now, those reputation would be less of an issue. But then I also really craved for a brand new, pure petrolhead's car, and the GR86 fits that description perfectly. Only Mazda has the other naturally aspirated FR car. Not even BMW offers cars with a proper handbrake anymore. Jaguar has removed the P250 powertrain from the XE, and D200 is just not good enough. I am not interested in any of the FF cars apart from the decades old Mini Cooper S 3-door.

I had intended for the GR86 to be a gift to myself for enduring the miseries of Hong Kong in the past few years. Having looked at all the videos and reviews of GR86 in North America, I still feel that I have made a good choice. I look forward to the unknown date on which I take delivery of my Electric Blue GR86. I don't plan to cancel despite the mess to this day. If anything I will get an X350 XJ as a stop gap.
Yep, the North American reviews have certainly kept me interested. 👍
 
I have kind of jumped ship.
Originally wanted a Nismo 370z but got caught up in the hype for the GR86.
Decided two weeks ago I'm not prepared to wait until later in the year or even 2023 for the GR86 so went and bought this....

20220710_172127.webp


Loving it so far. Will see how things progress with the GR86 but at the minute can't see me keeping my order in place.
 
I have kind of jumped ship.
Originally wanted a Nismo 370z but got caught up in the hype for the GR86.
Decided two weeks ago I'm not prepared to wait until later in the year or even 2023 for the GR86 so went and bought this....

View attachment 6613

Loving it so far. Will see how things progress with the GR86 but at the minute can't see me keeping my order in place.
Stunning looking car!
I emailed a dealer on CarWow this morning asking how much he'd give me trade in for the GR86 against a Supra 2.0, unfortunately wont confirm any price until its released but said they were 'definitely interested', depends if I can wait I guess... I've started stealing the Wife's HRV for work at the moment, which is at least comfortable.
I put my Celica on eBay the day before they said al lordereds are being pushed to October (so i thoguht i was getting it the end of July) so I've just left it to sell.
I'm finding myself on Autotrader, Cinch, Cazoo, etc every day at the moment
 
I just called a dealer about an MX5 they had for sale, either as a stop gap or (more likely) instead of the GR86. Unfortunately it sold last night.

Not really an equivalent car, but I was expecting to be collecting my GR86 on Friday and getting back to some fun driving, rather than waiting until the winter.
 
I'm currently looking for a GR Yaris (yes I know I had one lol), think i'll leave the GR86 order in and see when it's due but as mentioned previously my current daily which GR86 was down to replace really does now need to go as i've had to spend again this week. Getting a call on Monday to see what's available Yaris wise.
 
Luckily I have the bike but the vRS had a chunk spent on it too so I'll still be limiting use until trade in time. Who knows what I'll get but not expecting much. Don't really want to ride through winter so I'll leave the vRS for that and bike as much as I can until then.
 
I'm currently looking for a GR Yaris (yes I know I had one lol), think i'll leave the GR86 order in and see when it's due but as mentioned previously my current daily which GR86 was down to replace really does now need to go as i've had to spend again this week. Getting a call on Monday to see what's available Yaris wise.
Someone mentioned a new one being available a few days ago elsewhere on the forum.
 
I called a Honda dealer to preorder a CTR yesterday. The conversation was giving me horrible flashbacks of the GR preorder process! There's even some dealers taking £1k deposits to 'make sure you're first in line when the books open' :sneaky:

hopefully it'll arrive at a similar time as the GR86 and I'll be able to run both for a while and make an informed choice between them (or chop in the cooper S)
 
Back
Top