GR86 GR86 - The “I’m thinking of cancelling / did cancel my order” thread

AndyRC

Totally Hooked
Joined
Dec 28, 2021
Messages
2,839
Reaction score
3,334
Location
East Yorkshire
The thread for a those of folk who are thinking of cancelling their order to share their thoughts with anyone who wants to know/ contribute etc without derailing any other thread which to which “thinking of cancelling an order” comments are irrelevant. People’s circumstances change and folk maybe unhappy with the wait , TUK , the whole thing . 🤷‍♂️

Let’s remember those of use with an ORCA are the lucky ones , there are maybe double or treble that number on the “Waiting List” , and who know how many who can’t even get on the Waiting List. ☹️

If this thread is of no interest to you simple use the “Ignore” function 👍

Here’s some music to listen while making a decision.

 
Last edited:
You have to be insane to want to cancel a GR86 order.

Sure go ahead and cancel if a Toyota salesman knocked up your wife whilst you were in the showroom trying to get information on how to order one but apart from that I can't think of any other reason.
 
You have to be insane to want to cancel a GR86 order.

Sure go ahead and cancel if a Toyota salesman knocked up your wife whilst you were in the showroom trying to get information on how to order one but apart from that I can't think of any other reason.
He'd have to be quick, they don't know anything!
 
I was close to pulling a trigger on a 3.0 AT Supra when they had a 0% APR offer for 24mnts on them a few weeks back, but that got pulled, and Supra wait times are no better than GR86s :ROFLMAO: Was told that March 2023 would be the earliest delivery. Oh and they also bumped the price when the MT came out lol
 
not gonna lie, i have been tempted by a 18/19 f type, going for around £35k but i cant afford to pay for this , never mind £35k for a jag so ill keep waiting, no real rush for me.
 
I was close to pulling a trigger on a 3.0 AT Supra when they had a 0% APR offer for 24mnts on them a few weeks back, but that got pulled, and Supra wait times are no better than GR86s :ROFLMAO: Was told that March 2023 would be the earliest delivery. Oh and they also bumped the price when the MT came out lol
I almost did that on the 2.0 auto Supra. It was on 1.6% pcp and available with a discount.

The next car to get on the hype train and be a total sellout is the 2022 Civic type R. It is supposed to be brilliant and has the same EU reg issues as the GR86 so only a few will get released. Get your deposits down.
 
You have to be insane to want to cancel a GR86 order.

Sure go ahead and cancel if a Toyota salesman knocked up your wife whilst you were in the showroom trying to get information on how to order one but apart from that I can't think of any other reason.
Whilst I get the sentiment, I'm not sure that this is helpful in creating a 'safe space' for people to discuss why they would want to cancel.

Everyone's situation is different and, for people that have wanted this car (or the idea of this car) for a long time, the wait is agonising but also long enough that substantial changes can happen in a persons circumstances.

Redundancy, Divorce, Medical Issues, Unexpected bastard child of a Toyota Salesmen ;)

I've thought about cancelling my order on several occasions, for me the biggest factor is driving around in a 2004 Celica that I'm not 100% sure I trust when twice a week I may have to drive 200 miles in a day for work. The quick comeback to that will be 'Well what else are you going to get for 30k', which is a valid argument, certainly new there are limited choices and lead times to consider, but there is also the prospect of a used car which might meet my need sooner and are readily available. Used prices are arguably inflated but, from what ive seen, they are substantially better then they had been a year ago and they will eventually have to level out.

Whilst its easy to argue that 'I wouldn't buy a new car over used' etc, just because that doesn't come into play for one person, doesn't mean it might not for others.

We have a range of people with different amounts of disposable incomes on the forum which is clear from reading the different threads. Some forum members have other cars on order as well (seems the Emira is quite a big player from what I've seen) for others this is their first new car, for some £299 a month is a drop in the ocean for others its a price that is only just achievable and may have required other sacrifices in order to make it happen.

My understanding was that @AndyRC created this thread as a means of letting people vent about and openly discuss why they might want to cancel and keep that away from the order thread? This is a glass half empty thread as opposed to a half full one. It's a place for people to be negative and express their concerns about why the may have to cancel their order.

If every time someone talks about cancelling their car in here they are met with 'well you'd be crazy to cancel' doesn't that defeat the threads purpose?

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything just perhaps thinking out loud...
 
That being said this also isn't a thread that should be read or interacted with by those on the waiting list.

If you haven't been one of the Lucky 400 reading this thread might seem like a massive kick in the teeth, which I can understand, but at the same time almost everyone that placed an order was led to believe they'd have a car around 12/13 weeks as that is what the website said when it was ordered...
 
Current fuel cost, having 2 kids and a dog, was a pretty impulsive purchase that's becoming slightly harder to justify as the time drags on...
Completely valid concerns!

Especially pump prices...

If Im not reading this wrong then average fuel price the week we placed out order was £1.61/2, latest data from the government website shows prices at £1.90/1 and that's obviously not premium fuel prices.

Definitely a concern if its a daily driver or your only family vehicle.

I'm lucky that my wife has her own car and being one of the hybrid HRV's its very economical for us to use but that doesn't stop me feeling guilty at purchasing a car that on paper gets 32mpg.

(https://assets.publishing.service.g...ment_data/file/1089645/CSV_110722.csv/preview)
 
Last edited:
I can definitely see it being an issue for some as time goes on. I've just had a horrendous MOT bill on the vRS which is pretty much half it's value. Plus bills are going up all the time. I'm OK for now but anything else comes up and it's borderline. The longer it's delayed in some ways the better off as other things stop and it frees up more cash. But if energy goes up 60% again come October and it's really going to sting. I'll still get it, even if it means sleep for dinner for a bit.
 
Whilst I get the sentiment, I'm not sure that this is helpful in creating a 'safe space' for people to discuss why they would want to cancel.

Everyone's situation is different and, for people that have wanted this car (or the idea of this car) for a long time, the wait is agonising but also long enough that substantial changes can happen in a persons circumstances.

Redundancy, Divorce, Medical Issues, Unexpected bastard child of a Toyota Salesmen ;)

I've thought about cancelling my order on several occasions, for me the biggest factor is driving around in a 2004 Celica that I'm not 100% sure I trust when twice a week I may have to drive 200 miles in a day for work. The quick comeback to that will be 'Well what else are you going to get for 30k', which is a valid argument, certainly new there are limited choices and lead times to consider, but there is also the prospect of a used car which might meet my need sooner and are readily available. Used prices are arguably inflated but, from what ive seen, they are substantially better then they had been a year ago and they will eventually have to level out.

Whilst its easy to argue that 'I wouldn't buy a new car over used' etc, just because that doesn't come into play for one person, doesn't mean it might not for others.

We have a range of people with different amounts of disposable incomes on the forum which is clear from reading the different threads. Some forum members have other cars on order as well (seems the Emira is quite a big player from what I've seen) for others this is their first new car, for some £299 a month is a drop in the ocean for others its a price that is only just achievable and may have required other sacrifices in order to make it happen.

My understanding was that @AndyRC created this thread as a means of letting people vent about and openly discuss why they might want to cancel and keep that away from the order thread? This is a glass half empty thread as opposed to a half full one. It's a place for people to be negative and express their concerns about why the may have to cancel their order.

If every time someone talks about cancelling their car in here they are met with 'well you'd be crazy to cancel' doesn't that defeat the threads purpose?

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything just perhaps thinking out loud...

Post #1 edited for clarity , the aim being to keep other threads on track on not derailed by folk who are becoming disillusioned with the “TUK GR86 buying experience” 👍
 
I wonder if TUK have someone looking at this forum 👀. and would they do anything to improve relations..
 
Apart from Goodwood we've not seen much of the Press cars since they first arrived. Still no UK based reviews yet so must be embargoed?
 
I can definitely see it being an issue for some as time goes on. I've just had a horrendous MOT bill on the vRS which is pretty much half it's value. Plus bills are going up all the time. I'm OK for now but anything else comes up and it's borderline. The longer it's delayed in some ways the better off as other things stop and it frees up more cash. But if energy goes up 60% again come October and it's really going to sting. I'll still get it, even if it means sleep for dinner for a bit.
This is a huge part of my post yesterday and seems you’ve a similar conundrum to myself.

The replies to my post yesterday and the sarcasm from some who simply can’t comprehend why someone may need to consider cancelling is mind blowing.
I’ve just had a huge bill for our aging daily driver at the exact time when the GR86 should have been delivered per the Toyota press announcement.

So I’ve a conundrum in that the car GR86 was due to replace has now had £2500 spent on it, won’t add to its value tbh but in many ways that’s 8 months worth of payments gone in one go.

All I’d like and I’m sure many others would like is some proper clarity and honesty from Toyota, these calls with ‘it’ll be 2023’ just don’t help. When in 2023?
Don’t get me wrong I genuinely want one, but as others posters have said peoples circumstances change massively over 12 months, in the current Worlsd 6 months is a long time.
 
I almost did that on the 2.0 auto Supra. It was on 1.6% pcp and available with a discount.

The next car to get on the hype train and be a total sellout is the 2022 Civic type R. It is supposed to be brilliant and has the same EU reg issues as the GR86 so only a few will get released. Get your deposits down.
The new Type R is launched next Wed (20th) I have an FK8 which I am more than happy with.
The new car will have to go some to be better & talk is of perhaps 40k!
I hope Honda will have some demo cars for me to compare.
Meanwhile I will stick with the GR86 as its replacing an ageing MX5.
 
This is a huge part of my post yesterday and seems you’ve a similar conundrum to myself.

The replies to my post yesterday and the sarcasm from some who simply can’t comprehend why someone may need to consider cancelling is mind blowing.
I’ve just had a huge bill for our aging daily driver at the exact time when the GR86 should have been delivered per the Toyota press announcement.

So I’ve a conundrum in that the car GR86 was due to replace has now had £2500 spent on it, won’t add to its value tbh but in many ways that’s 8 months worth of payments gone in one go.

All I’d like and I’m sure many others would like is some proper clarity and honesty from Toyota, these calls with ‘it’ll be 2023’ just don’t help. When in 2023?
Don’t get me wrong I genuinely want one, but as others posters have said peoples circumstances change massively over 12 months, in the current Worlsd 6 months is a long time.
And that's the sickener. Spending all that cash and you'll never see the return on it. Most of mine were consumables but the labour and certain parts have gone extortionate. One thing I'll be glad of when it turns up is having a car with warranty for a bit.
 
Completely valid concerns!

Especially pump prices...

If Im not reading this wrong then average fuel price the week we placed out order was £1.61/2, latest data from the government website shows prices at £1.90/1 and that's obviously not premium fuel prices.

Definitely a concern if its a daily driver or your only family vehicle.

I'm lucky that my wife has her own car and being one of the hybrid HRV's its very economical for us to use but that doesn't stop me feeling guilty at purchasing a car that on paper gets 32mpg.

(https://assets.publishing.service.g...ment_data/file/1089645/CSV_110722.csv/preview)
It will be my daily, also have a 900cc family bus which i ‘ve dailyed for 3 years, only problem is if i keep using that then the gr will be the mrs school run car

Main problem is i buy new cars so cancelling the gr will just mean joining another waiting list or sticking with what i’ve got until the car market returns to normal
 
I am having a slight wobble at the moment, lot of noise on here about delivery being delayed until next year even for the guys who's cars are supposed to be in the UK already? But who do you believe only thing we know for sure is that the piss poor communication from TUK continues with most of us having no idea what's going on?
So I'm starting to think about alternatives but I'm struggling to see anything new that's comparable, unless I go for a hot hatch or secondhand like an F Type or a TT.
Will probably wait for the call before deciding whenever that maybe so there might be an electric blue manual up for grabs but at the moment I feel a little unsure it will ever be a real car it's just a picture on an app😔
 
Back
Top