GR86 First salvage sale one I’ve seen

Delahorney

Totally Hooked
Joined
Apr 6, 2022
Messages
703
Reaction score
796
Location
South Wales
Seems a bit drastic for a write off and Cat S personally!
IMG_8669.webp
 
Gutted for the owner.
 
I kind of fancy that to convert it into a track only car but that's just silly dreaming on my part. I'm sure the wife wouldn't like it adorning the driveway
 
Not exotic enough for him!
 
I wonder why it was written off. I was reading on a US forum the other day the front bumpers are on back order in the states with no ETA. Maybe that is the reason?
 
Last edited:
I wonder why it was written off. I was reading on a US forum the other day the front bumpers are on back order in the states with no ETA. Maybe that is the reason?

Cat S is structural, given the impact is taken across a very small area in the corner, it won't take much to bend it. The bits in yellow you can tell are knackered from the photo. Chances are the main chassis legs its attached too have deformed too, even if its only by a couple of mm, that's game over from an insurance perspective.

Untitled.png
 
GT86s were notorious for bending a chassis leg/rail on front end collisions. Are the front wings on the gr as soft as the gt? They didn't offer much protection...
 
. . “GT86s were notorious for bending a chassis leg/rail on front end collisions. Are the front wings on the gr as soft as the gt? They didn't offer much protection” . .
That is the whole idea, they do offer protection, by bending and folding they dissipate energy in order to protect the structural frame and the occupants.
The issue is surely the charged cost of replacement parts by the manufacturers, importers or re-sellers.
 
. . “GT86s were notorious for bending a chassis leg/rail on front end collisions. Are the front wings on the gr as soft as the gt? They didn't offer much protection” . .
That is the whole idea, they do offer protection, by bending and folding they dissipate energy in order to protect the structural frame and the occupants.
The issue is surely the charged cost of replacement parts by the manufacturers, importers or re-sellers.
That was my point, they crumble very easily because they're flimsy aluminium. They're cheap to replace but because any collision ends up damaging the structure its not a cheap repair
 
Back
Top