Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Also, is that your house???!!!I’ve had a BMW i3 range extender for the last couple of years. It might look like it’s been modelled on Kryten’s head, but it’s been an absolute joy to own and drive.
Twin rear engined, carbon fibre chassis, rear wheel drive - what’s not to like (yeah yeah…but looks are subjective!)?
We keep it charged up from a mix of solar panels and “cheap” overnight tariffs (sadly not as cheap as they once were - oh how I took for granted paying 4p/kWh). If we want to do more than 90 miles in one trip it’ll happily do 50mpg from its 8 litre tank (can’t be bothered fighting with people for the knackered, over-used public chargers).
It’s also great fun to drive. I have a GR Yaris and a Boxster at my disposal but I certainly never feel short changed when driving the i3.
Definitely a place for electric, even in a petrolhead’s garage
View attachment 8810
i3s is on top of my list if I had to go full EV. They went up in price quite some over here, something quite rare in the Swedish automotive landscape.
Barely heavier then a GRY, no awd but more practical...
Also, is that your house???!!!
Totally agree, my works EV is forever sat at chargers and finding ones that are working or don't already have a queue of people waiting to use the are getting harder, I hate ev's with a passion, the last charger that was installed in Stoke on Trent was about 18months ago and nothing since. I won't be going ev until the gun is to my head.I just can't see it. I've been trying to publicly charge for years and it's still a mess. Too many schemes, too many broken chargers and then there are other infrastructure issues; poor signal at remote spots meaning you can't even download the right app to use the charger (!) and limited power supply meaning you're charging at ridiculously slow rates.
Yes things will catch up BUT demand will constantly outstrip supply and this will frustrate more and more drivers that have switched to electric confining us to local trips - because the prospect of long distance journeys is too hazardous. A dozen chargers at a motorway services? They'll need fifty unless they can get them to charge at obscenely high rates 500kw+ which just isn't feasible, not for years and years. I hadn't realised till this morning but yesterday was two years since I went on the factory tour at Tesla in Fremont and the thing that struck me the most was; yes it's hugely impressive, the machinery etc but they cannot meet demand. There were piles of doors, body panels everywhere. Every square inch of that factory was taken up with stuff just piled up, it looked really disorganised. Since then we've had two years of chaos that has left a deep hole in supply chains around the world, yet governments persist with these nonsense target dates for ending the ICE. Maybe governments are happy for the masses to be kept local, but it's going to be chaotic for haulage, delivery companies etc once they start switching over. 'Your Amazon delivery driver is stuck in a queue of thirty other vehicles waiting to charge up' - be like the 70's again and the fuel crisis!
Today I started with a range of 149 miles I actually travelled 16 with the heater on and I'm now at 88 miles, I near as damn it have to charge every day and each time is around the hour mark.As Tesla (and others) continue to hike their kW charges and petrol comes down a little bit, it's worth noting that in real world tests that at 71p per kW that's nearing the equivalent of 35mpg. If you're desperate/crazy/unfortunate enough to land on an Ionity charger or similar you could be paying over £1 a kW.
In my ninth year of driving electric vehicles I'd like to think I have some real world experience of these damned things. Claimed range, of any make, is often 30-50% above real world ranges. My current EV, a Model Y, has a claimed range of 331 miles - I work this out to be closer to 210-240 when using it. A good rule of thumb is 3 miles per kW.
A gallon of V-Power was £8.40, last time I filled up. If a kW is costing 71p and I'm only getting 3 miles out of one, that's 23.667p per mile.
840/23.667 = 35.5 mpg.
Now not all my charging is done at 71p per kW, with my overnight electricity rate the equivalent mpg rate jumps to 229 mpg, but it's an illustration that how you charge and when you charge is very important - and you're stuffed if you want to go any reasonable distance.
Yesterday was a pita, put the van on charge at work and then came back an hour and half later to find the charger had developed a ground fault and had only added 4 miles to my range before stoppingGood luck on your island, at least when things go south, less people will wanna go
Wife's Leaf range has dropped from 150 to 130ish in the winter. Cold weather is making mincemeat of the battery.
Yesterday was a pita, put the van on charge at work and then came back an hour and half later to find the charger had developed a ground fault and had only added 4 miles to my range before stoppingI then swapped it to another only to find that didn't work either
![]()
Sounds fantasticThe charging infrastructure is dreadful isn’t it. I bought my first EV in 2014 and the situation has barely changed since then despite a vast increase in the number of EV on the road. I have a couple of i3 with range extenders so I’m rarely in a situation where I am reliant on public chargers, but when I try to charge I’d say 9 out of 10 times the charger is broken, faulty, occupied, ICE’d or just an absolute pain in the backside to get working.
. What did Reagan say, ‘government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem’…
As it is, it appears that it’s going to be left entirely to market forces, which means it’ll get there eventually as it becomes profitable enough, but in the meantime screw those who are making the transition that they are demanding.
He was referring to the mess he was about to inherit!
This could have been the argument 5-6 years ago but not now. It’s precisely because governments have got involved that has caused the problem. They didn’t need to mandate for scrapping ICE cars by 2030, they didn’t need to manufacture an energy crisis by stifling domestic production because of the shoutiness of a minority causing us to rely on despotic regimes, they didn’t need to create planning issues so that we can’t even get fricking wind farms built etc. The list goes on…
Five years ago subsidies were announced to encourage companies to install hydrogen filling stations. We were supposed to have 200 by 2021, we don’t have a fraction of that. It was government interference, excessive regulation and scrapping tax incentives that has killed the hydrogen production industry in this country.
Government can’t provide solutions because it is neither dynamic, competitive or competent enough. We have a managerial class of politicians that are Jack of all trades and master of none. They’re useless.
Depends what the question isThe answer is not electric.![]()
mcmurtry.com