GR86 Dash Cam

mackie

Obsessed member
Apr 19, 2022
Hertfordshire
I’m pretty sure any knocks will trigger it via the g-sensor but you can also set it to record based on motion detected by the camera or timelapse/low bitrate continuous recording which uses much less space and (I assume) power.
Seems to work well although thankfully I’ve not had to rely on it.
The main thing that will prevent it from working well is the screen misting up etc.

Reactions: kacpr

Dal3D

Totally Hooked
Feb 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I’ve just fitted a Garmin Mini 2, using the socket in the glove box for now. I have the parking mode writing kit so will likely switch to hard wiring when I use the car more.

Seems a great little camera that hides well behind the mirror.
That's the little bugger I was thinking of getting. Which side did you route the cable down? Picture quality OK? Have you a photo of it from the drivers seat as I hate needless distractions and want it not visible at all! :ROFLMAO:

volksdub

Obsessed member
Apr 14, 2022
Staffordshire
That's the little bugger I was thinking of getting. Which side did you route the cable down? Picture quality OK? Have you a photo of it from the drivers seat as I hate needless distractions and want it not visible at all! :ROFLMAO:
Cable is routed down the passenger side and behind the glovebox into the socket in there. It’s not visible at all from driver seat, you wouldn’t even know it was there apart from the little chime when it turns on. (Think that can also be turned off)

Reactions: Dal3D

Dal3D

Totally Hooked
Feb 22, 2022
Leicestershire
Finally got round to installing my VIOFO A129 with their hard wire parking mode kit. All good so far, just need to verify the parking mode works as it should.

There’s a decent amount of space behind the plastic panel next to your foot to hide away the little electronics box and excess wiring.

View attachment 13185
@mackie - With those 2 cables for Battery and Switched now coming into the mini fuse box, does that mean you can't refit the little plastic cover back on?

Gari

Totally Hooked
Feb 7, 2022
Northamptonshire
I remember someone querying the use of the 12v socket in the glovebox, mines been plugged in there since I got the car in December and it's still absolutely fine. I have no other use for the socket so it'll probably stay that way 😁

Dal3D

Totally Hooked
Feb 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I remember someone querying the use of the 12v socket in the glovebox, mines been plugged in there since I got the car in December and it's still absolutely fine. I have no other use for the socket so it'll probably stay that way 😁
I guess it depends if you want permanent power for car park monitoring or just on ignition.

Gari

Totally Hooked
Feb 7, 2022
Northamptonshire
I guess it depends if you want permanent power for car park monitoring or just on ignition.
Just on ignition works in my case, the camera has a decent battery in it so it'll still wake-up and record if the car is bumped. It's got that motion activated parking setting too but I'm not worried about recording every passerby!

Dal3D

Totally Hooked
Feb 22, 2022
Leicestershire
Yes, although it’s on my list to find a solution for that, possibly by getting a spare and modding it
Maybe this could be a solution?

Looks like the GT86 has the same fuse box cover, so a 3D printed taller one could be just the job?

If I had a 3D printer I'd be giving it a go. Anyone have one here?

Reactions: mackie

Gari

Totally Hooked
Feb 7, 2022
Northamptonshire
Maybe this could be a solution?

Looks like the GT86 has the same fuse box cover, so a 3D printed taller one could be just the job?

If I had a 3D printer I'd be giving it a go. Anyone have one here?
PSA: If anyone wants to give this a go I recommend using a filament/material suitable for housing electronics e.g. flame retardant ABS. PLA is flammable and so is obviously not suited.

Better safe than sorry!

Reactions: mackie and Dal3D

KobayashiMaru86

Totally Hooked
Apr 14, 2022
Swansea, Wales
Bit the bullet. Installed a dashcam yesterday. It's a VIOFO A119 V3. Was on lightning deal on Amazon for £86 and is one that does get recommended. Was all set for Garmin but the one I wanted was twice the price and spec wise is about the same. I do often say buy cheap pay twice but we'll see. All dashcams are generally crap anyway but on defaults it seems fine. May change it to 1080p and 60fps to get it even smoother but is OK as is. Make out plates and faces fine. It's FOV is 140. While you can go wider you get more of a fish eye effect and this can affect plate legibility. Plus as the still shows it covers the whole road fine. Lots of bits for fitting in the box, even though I didn't need them. Comes with a spudger to help put the cable tidy. Since it's USB into a 12V plug I've put in glovebox I'm tempted to try and run it through a power bank to see if that will work for a short term parking mode.

Dashcam Still.JPG

IMG_20230424_112330.jpg

Reactions: mackie

chopper602

Totally Hooked
Apr 21, 2022
Hurworth-on-Tees, County Durham
Bit the bullet. Installed a dashcam yesterday. It's a VIOFO A119 V3. Was on lightning deal on Amazon for £86 and is one that does get recommended. Was all set for Garmin but the one I wanted was twice the price and spec wise is about the same. I do often say buy cheap pay twice but we'll see. All dashcams are generally crap anyway but on defaults it seems fine. May change it to 1080p and 60fps to get it even smoother but is OK as is. Make out plates and faces fine. It's FOV is 140. While you can go wider you get more of a fish eye effect and this can affect plate legibility. Plus as the still shows it covers the whole road fine. Lots of bits for fitting in the box, even though I didn't need them. Comes with a spudger to help put the cable tidy. Since it's USB into a 12V plug I've put in glovebox I'm tempted to try and run it through a power bank to see if that will work for a short term parking mode.

View attachment 16114

View attachment 16116
I have a similar one from the same manufacturer, but mine has the rear camera too. All the recordings go onto the same card and I'm impressed with the quality

Reactions: KobayashiMaru86

Delahorney

Totally Hooked
Apr 6, 2022
South Wales

View attachment 16114

View attachment 16116
Looking at this one too with a rear facing one thrown in as well. Will plug it into the glove box for now but look to hardwire it down the line.

cuddles

Obsessed member
Feb 6, 2022
No-one's forcing you to buy one?
They can provide evidence for incidents when the car is parked, or the actions of other road users, disprove allegations against you etc.
Even just a record of a fun drive, or naked cyclists riding through a busy town (yes, I have that footage).
Will there be circumstances where it doesn't help? Yes, just like anything else, nothing is 100% but that doesn't make them worthless.
Crikey, I thought I had got away with that. I must peddle faster in town centers.

Reactions: JohnL

hsb

Obsessed member
Nov 8, 2022
Uppsala, Sweden
I tried both Garmin Mini 2 and DC57 and the DC57 has noticeably better video quality, and is almost as small in size. Buy the parking cable also so you can enable parking mode. You can route the cable very neatly and hidden to the fuse box on the drivers side (LHD car), Accessory power connects to RADIO and Constant power to STOP.

Dal3D

Totally Hooked
Feb 22, 2022
Leicestershire
People that have fitted the hard wired / parking kit into the fuse box by your knees - have you had to leave the cover off or have you mackled something to keep it on given the size of the piggy back fuse things?