GR86 Dash Cam

hsb

Obsessed member
Nov 8, 2022
Uppsala, Sweden
People that have fitted the hard wired / parking kit into the fuse box by your knees - have you had to leave the cover off or have you mackled something to keep it on given the size of the piggy back fuse things?
I didn’t use the piggy back fuse, I just put the wire directly and wedge it with the fuse. Cover fits :)

Look at 11:58 in this video for an idea

Last edited:
Reactions: Delahorney

Sonic

Totally Hooked
Jun 23, 2023
Dunfermline
I've got a BlackVue DR900Xplus 2CH 4K (front and rear) that I'll be transferring across to the GR86. I've always had professional fitting by an authorised centre and never had any issues with rattles, the same place installs them in Lambos and Rolls Royce et al. You can always go back to them if there's an issue too - Last year BlackVue UK refused to believe that my first unit had a rattle and returned it to me 'no fault found' (they didn't even take it apart) so my installer gave me a brand new unit and returned the duff one on my behalf. (y)

Reactions: ritch

kacpr

Dedicated member
Apr 19, 2022
Northamptonshire
Did any of you with the Dash cam installed experience any issues with the car’s battery? It would be useful if your model also had parking mode and you used it often.
My worry is basically that leaving the interior light on for a week was enough to kill the battery for me, as the car was sat in the garage, so I wonder if I will have to disconnect the dash cam when parked. Secondary is if the parking mode can drain the battery when parked on a regular work day.

Considering all this while I’m sat waiting for my car being serviced and wondering if Toyota’s skilled technicians end up dinging it and I’ll have no proof 😛

midlife_sportscar

Obsessed member
Apr 22, 2022
Manchester
My worry is basically that leaving the interior light on for a week was enough to kill the battery for me, as the car was sat in the garage, so I wonder if I will have to disconnect the dash cam when parked. Secondary is if the parking mode can drain the battery when parked on a regular work day.
Leaving an interior light on for a week would flatten any regular car battery - typically a 10 watt bulb, so that's about 0.8 amps for 7 x 24 hours, would be over 130 amp hours. That's more than the capacity of even a big leisure battery.

Don't get me wrong, you are right to consider the dashcam consumption, but the observation about the light isn't really valid.

Reactions: kacpr

Sonic

Totally Hooked
Jun 23, 2023
Dunfermline
Did any of you with the Dash cam installed experience any issues with the car’s battery? It would be useful if your model also had parking mode and you used it often.... Considering all this while I’m sat waiting for my car being serviced and wondering if Toyota’s skilled technicians end up dinging it and I’ll have no proof.
I've set the 'Parking Mode' on mine for a period of 2 hours recording (or 12.2V potential difference) when I'm out and about shopping. I only push it out to 8 hours/12.2v when parked at home and the car is attached to the optimiser. Trackers and immobilisers add to the battery burden, so it's not surprising that a battery will suffer over a protracted period of being parked up, especially without a trickle charger attached.
As for recording when the car goes in for a service, a lot of garages now have a policy that dashcams must be off whilst on their premises (due to Data Protection, Privacy, Recording Permissions etc) so they may pop the supply cable out. My local garage has a big sign saying that they will 'disable Dashcams before any work is carried out. Failure to agree to this policy means that no work will be undertaken' - Harsh? Maybe but, it's their business premises after all. Just be careful when and where you record ... ;)

Reactions: kacpr

hsb

Obsessed member
Nov 8, 2022
Uppsala, Sweden
Did any of you with the Dash cam installed experience any issues with the car’s battery? It would be useful if your model also had parking mode and you used it often.

Considering all this while I’m sat waiting for my car being serviced and wondering if Toyota’s skilled technicians end up dinging it and I’ll have no proof 😛
The parking cable assembly to my Garmin dash cam has a setting where it will turn off if the battery voltage drops to a selectable voltage, I don't remember what I have it set to but the dash cam typically stays in parking mode for at least 2 days before it turn itself off.

Reactions: kacpr and Spirited