GR Yaris Bronson's B-Road Blaster

Onehp

Totally Hooked
Dec 6, 2021
Scandinavia
But I think I'd have had more fun in the Twingo - less power, but skinnier tyres...
You just pushed me over the edge to continue to experiment with narrower, lower grip (but not utter crap) tyres, as I just came home with similar sentiments last night. With regular sports tyres my car is effing fast even in the wet, but ultimately less fun on real roads. Still remember my first drive on unscrubbed brand new all season tyres, that was hilarious in the dry. So just ordered some 215 tw420 semi/drift tyres and will see how they behave on the street...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bronson

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
That’s the thing; I’ve been toying for weeks about going to 8.5-9J but being careful not to over-tyre the car and lose all of its qualities. But even on 225 you really have to be beyond our highly policed roads to appreciate the dynamics that it’s capable of. So the search is on to find that balance at lower speeds..I guess, in short, it’s about finding a tyre that loses traction in a predictable manner.

Reactions: Pelle

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
Yesterday saw the Mountain section closed off whilst the police/DOI setup the one way signage/cones for TT. I think it re-opened late afternoon, I went for a late evening run and there wasn't another vehicle on it from the Hairpin to the Creg. I love it when it's like this, great weather too, crappy dashcam screenshot doesn't do it justice!

Mountain Section2.jpg

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
weds.jpg

Wheel swapped with another forum member in early July. These are Wedssport SA-25R in 18x8.5 ET 35. Should give an extra 15-20mm of poke and change the scrub radius by 7mm - which shouldn't be too noticeable, I hope.

I've had these powdercoated (courtesy of Wheel Class, Sittingbourne) in something close to a matt black - they came to me in a silvery colour which I assume is PSB? (Platiunum Silver Black? not sure what it is!), I didn't think they'd suit a white car as they were.

They're about 8.5kg, so a little heavier than the stock BBS but then I didn't need to spend anymore £££ for TC105x!

Hoping to wrap these in AD09's, most likely in 245/40. Despite the above about staying with 225, I've been convinced to try 245..

Have also bought a number of parts including;

BC Racing ER coilovers with 8kg springs
Hardrace front strut brace
DNA top mounts
Verkline and Super Pro droplinks

I will also do a full driveline fluid change, new pads, new brake fluid and shims. I'm going to do the gearbox and engine mounts all at once, too. It's going to be a busy autumn/winter!

Last edited:
Reactions: RichM

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
inserts.jpg

So pads and shims installed, along with a fluid change - Motul 660 (1h 45)

Front strut brace (5 min job) in and also had the Powerflex torque, engine and gearbox mount inserts put in (1h 30) - I can already feel the difference! Gear shift feels much more smooth.

I also ended up ordering some Cup 2's in 245.

Next up coilover installation...

Spirited

Obsessed member
Jan 23, 2022
Hampshire, South East England
. ..

Have also bought a number of parts including;

BC Racing ER coilovers with 8kg springs
DNA top mounts

Did you have a chance to install the DNA Racing top mounts? If yes, any disadvantages for road use? I ask as I recall others posting that they can be a bit much for the road and I noticed that you're probably conscious of creating unnecessary vibration and harshness, as you went for yellow Powerflex bushes.

I also ended up ordering some Cup 2's in 245.

Aware that you mentioned your car was not always used much in the winter, still, if your use is still primarily road rather than track, have you considered tyres that are not 'severely allergic' to water like the Cup 2s are? Eg, Continental SportContact 7 if they're offered in the dimensions your after.

Thanks

Reactions: Bronson

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
I’ll get the top mounts installed when the coilovers go on, as well as the adjustable droplinks (keeping the stock roll bars). The DNA will work with the stock dampers, maybe I should try them first..

As for the tyres, my plan was a set of AD09’s but I could only find three! I did contemplate the new Bridgestone Potenza Race, but there are very few reviews on them. The Cup 2’s have a similar tread pattern and I’m not fussed about wet weather because I rarely take the car out in the rain, whatever time of year it is. It’ll get a winter run out on those days it’s dry and the salt spreading hasn’t been too severe!

I was pleasantly surprised by the mount inserts. I know most people fit just the lower torque mount, but getting all three done together made more sense and I didn’t notice any intrusive harshness or vibration into the cabin, but already changing from 2nd to 3rd there is an improvement. Would recommend 👍🏻

Reactions: Kaxe and Spirited

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
newwheels1.jpg

Well that wasn't an easy job! Calipers, discs and hubs disassembled just to get to the wheel studs...what we thought might be a 2-3 hours job was 5! No wonder, not many people have tried it...still big thanks to Abbey Motorsport for getting the job done. I'm happy with the way the wheels both look and feels now. Got easily well over thirty turns on the nuts than the seven on the stock wheel studs!

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
Updated list:

Aesthetics:
Satin black Rallyflapz
Tegiwa mirror riser
Retrimmed alcantara steering wheel by Control Customs
Carbon gear knob
'Half' wrap, ceramic coating and detail by Race by Design

Chassis, suspension, wheels and brakes:
Powerflex front camber bolts
Hardrace adjustable rear camber arms
String Theory adjustable springs
HEL Performance brake lines, P-Def brake shims + Motul RBF 660 brake fluid, EBC Bluestuff pads
Skunk aluminum wheel nuts, Hardrace extended wheel studs
Wedsport SA-25R 18x8.5 ET 35 with Michelin Cup 2 in 245/40
Powerflex Upper Engine, Upper Gearbox and Lower Torque Mounts (all Yellow, road versions)

Exhaust and engine
Airtec enclosed intake
Whifbitz Titanium cat-back exhaust
Whifbitz Titanium GPF delete pipe

Bits to go on in 2024:
Super Pro adjustable droplinks front and rear
BC Racing ER Series coilovers with 8kg springs
DNA Racing Top Mounts
VBD Seat lowering bracket
Whifbitz decat pipe

Other plans for 2024:
Intercooler
Hardrace rear strut brace
Lithium battery + charger

Reactions: GRavy_Baby

Bronson

Totally Hooked
Dec 16, 2021
Isle of Man
unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Got around to installing the VBD seat lowering bracket, just for the drivers side. All pretty straight forward. I put the base in and set the seat up, as there are different settings for taller drivers wanting more legroom. It was then easier to take the whole thing out, attach the base to the runners and then put it back in again.

With the bits of trim that need sacrificing (a couple of pieces underneath need cutting, but you won't see them) and what's taken off the original seat, the net increase in weight is just 6kg, which was a nice surprise. From my measurements its closer to 25mm drop than 30mm but I maybe slightly out on that.