GR86 What did you do with your GR86 today

Learnt a few things about the car...

It needed way more camber than even the 1 degree I was able to get with single set of camber bolts
Track mode is useless, might as well turn it off, cuts power even if you have recovered a slide. Have to keep it fully off next time
Oil temperture is an issue if you drive on track, ~5 minutes of hot lapping gets the oil over 120c
Pilot Sport 4 tyres melts even quicker than the oil temp...
 
Learnt a few things about the car...

It needed way more camber than even the 1 degree I was able to get with single set of camber bolts
Track mode is useless, might as well turn it off, cuts power even if you have recovered a slide. Have to keep it fully off next time
Oil temperture is an issue if you drive on track, ~5 minutes of hot lapping gets the oil over 120c
Pilot Sport 4 tyres melts even quicker than the oil temp...
Track is different from road. Track is fine for spirited road driving as there's still that safety net and was ideal when I did Scotland and back. If I was on track it would all be off. Again PS4's are fine for the road, run them for years and for me is a known quantity. On track I'd be on something more focussed. If you're really serious, ex BTCC slicks are cheap.
 
Just found it kinda ironic that the track mode is more likely to be used on road than on track... I do like track mode on road too.

While I felt the current mods have got myself a pretty perfect road car, bringing it on track does expose a lot of gaps I will need to address

Everything keep adding up in cost...
 
It's then a case of deciding what you want from the car and what path you take it down. Mine will be 99% fast road. Track will be eventually but I do hope to do a day or two soon.
 
This is why I do bike track days in the summer and car track days in the winter - less overheating!
 
Almost 10 weeks (yes, TEN) after I dropped my car off at Toyota to have the parking sensors fitted, I finally have the car back :D
It has been utterly frustrating waiting to get the car back - pretty much exactly the same feeling I had last year when waiting for the car to be delivered to me for the first time. And of course, I've missed every spring bank holiday when I'd usually be out enjoying the car. On the plus side, the repairs to the bumper mean that a rather unsightly stone chip has also been taken care of - every cloud, I guess.

So here's a picture which encapsulates what I've done to mine today:
- New boot closing strap fitted (thanks @PVGR ) - no more finger marks on the boot.
- HKS L Spec II exhaust fitted - have only done a quick start to check for leaks but already much louder than stock. This evening I will see if I can get some sound clips, and update the exhaust thread.
- Parking sensors fitted (obviously not by me). Despite the wait, pleased with them, don't think they look unsightly at all.

Now, hoping the good weather continues. This is actually the first time I've seen the car in strong sunshine. It's freshly washed and polished and looks fantastic.

gr86.webp
 
Almost 10 weeks (yes, TEN) after I dropped my car off at Toyota to have the parking sensors fitted, I finally have the car back :D
It has been utterly frustrating waiting to get the car back - pretty much exactly the same feeling I had last year when waiting for the car to be delivered to me for the first time. And of course, I've missed every spring bank holiday when I'd usually be out enjoying the car. On the plus side, the repairs to the bumper mean that a rather unsightly stone chip has also been taken care of - every cloud, I guess.

So here's a picture which encapsulates what I've done to mine today:
- New boot closing strap fitted (thanks @PVGR ) - no more finger marks on the boot.
- HKS L Spec II exhaust fitted - have only done a quick start to check for leaks but already much louder than stock. This evening I will see if I can get some sound clips, and update the exhaust thread.
- Parking sensors fitted (obviously not by me). Despite the wait, pleased with them, don't think they look unsightly at all.

Now, hoping the good weather continues. This is actually the first time I've seen the car in strong sunshine. It's freshly washed and polished and looks fantastic.

View attachment 17169
Excellent, pleased for you that you finally have your car back. Enjoy!
 
1st visit to building site with mine today…
‘Aye, just throw ‘er in there behind the van, should be fine...’
Not looking forward to this sort of carry on in a grimy winter…🥴
IMG_2868.webp
 
Finally fitted the auto dimming mirror, there is no connector in the headlining on UK cars as on American YT videos but managed to take a live feed and earth from the wiring and connectors to the interior lights / SOS button.

Frameless mirror itself looks so much better and quite a neat install. Homelink even works. I think it definitely looks more modern being frameless, a useful mod.

IMG_9675.webp


IMG_9679.webp


IMG_9684.webp
 
Great job @LGN_83 nice clean install.

Would you share where you got the mirror from?
Thanks. I got it from America nearly a year ago so can't remember how much I paid but it wasn't too bad - circa £150 - link to the item below:
 
Garaged it. Traffic was insane by me this week. Typical council making a meal out of barrier repairs on the M4 meaning all roads around were on stop. Took me over an hour to do 10 miles. This is the solution to that.
IMG_20230603_182814.jpg


It got a new front tyre today, big service due end of next month which is going to hurt (makes the GR86 service costs look a bargain) but it's nice and isn't fair on the car to be caged in traffic. I will still use it for longer trips but makes sense to garage it to avoid any bird crap baking into it in the sun when I'm not there to sort it. What's also handy is it's light enough to push. So I get out where the door is not by the pillar, wind window down and slowly roll back.
 
Took mine along to the MR2 day, parked up with the GTs. Had a good chat with quite a few people, including the owner of the only other GR present (yellow one below). It’s a nice friendly event. Was surprised there weren’t more GRs there. Plenty of Supras!
IMG_2144.webp
IMG_2137.webp
 
Looks pretty good in yellow with the black roof..assume that was a wrap?
It was black originally, so it’s just the yellow that’s wrapped. There’s a chunk of black still on the boot panel where the badges are too. We both agreed it was shame they didn’t come in more colours originally!
 
Back
Top