GR Yaris What did you do to your GR Yaris today?

Today I have found that my gearbox is a lot better through no fault of my own. It is certainly improving with mileage and now I can't wait for the 2 year service.

Just to confirm with you peeps, I will get this lot done on top of the normal jobs:

Replace rear differential oil - do I do front diff too?
Replace transfer box oil
Manual transmission oil change
Not quite
Rear diff = yes
Transfer = yes and 1L does both so may as well if you are happy to use the same oil.
Front diff = yes as it’s in the gearbox

Hope that helps.
 
This key fob arrived today from eBay which I quite like:

49FBE29A-02E0-4782-8AB2-49741206B890.webp

Separately has anybody used this or a product like it? I know it won’t be as good as a proper ceramic coating but curious as to what it’s like.

 
This key fob arrived today from eBay which I quite like:

View attachment 13961
Separately has anybody used this or a product like it? I know it won’t be as good as a proper ceramic coating but curious as to what it’s like.


Fob looks good (y)

GWash seemed interesting at a glance. However, its safety sheet mentions serious eye damage (just like all the foam products I've checked), so I'll stick to my car shampoo.
 
Fob looks good (y)

GWash seemed interesting at a glance. However, its safety sheet mentions serious eye damage (just like all the foam products I've checked), so I'll stick to my car shampoo.
Yeah that’s fair. I have turtle wax shampoo and it’s been fine, but might have to stump up for some ceramic coating / take to detailer for the first time as I do quite like the look of a shiny car! It’s the in between stage of not looking muddy enough (also cool) but instead just dull where it’s tricky and that point is where the car usually sits.

Re: eye damage, my background is organic chemistry so well used to everything being some sort of hazard but I think that is reasonable with foams - quite easy for them to go everywhere and end up with product on your skin/in eyes .

I don’t really want to have to get the PPE/my safety glasses out for every time I wash the car - serious eye damage is a bit different to an irritant! It has crossed my mind when working close up with eg wheel / brake dust cleaners as you only get one set of eyes.
 
My concern is what happens with all this nano ceramic stuff when it goes down the drain or into the ground water. These things tend to be persistant (because of their hydrophobic nature) and will tend to find their way back into our lives in a not very good manner....
 
Last edited:
This key fob arrived today from eBay which I quite like:

View attachment 13961
Separately has anybody used this or a product like it? I know it won’t be as good as a proper ceramic coating but curious as to what it’s like.

Personally I would only use a product like this as a top up for a ceramic coating that has already been applied, as you need to make sure your car is very clean otherwise the ceramic content in the shampoo will seal any dirt on to the paintwork.
Autoglym have a bodywork shampoo and conditioner which does the same thing but without the ceramic bits. I've used this for years it's very low foaming and is a third of the price
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that’s fair. I have turtle wax shampoo and it’s been fine, but might have to stump up for some ceramic coating / take to detailer for the first time as I do quite like the look of a shiny car! It’s the in between stage of not looking muddy enough (also cool) but instead just dull where it’s tricky and that point is where the car usually sits.

Re: eye damage, my background is organic chemistry so well used to everything being some sort of hazard but I think that is reasonable with foams - quite easy for them to go everywhere and end up with product on your skin/in eyes .

I don’t really want to have to get the PPE/my safety glasses out for every time I wash the car - serious eye damage is a bit different to an irritant! It has crossed my mind when working close up with eg wheel / brake dust cleaners as you only get one set of eyes.

Glad you appreciate where I'm coming from.

With "you only get one set of eyes" as the main driver for my decisions on such matters, here's what I do and works for me:
  • Ceramic coating from new (professionally applied)
  • PPF on piano black (as its so easy to get swirls on them and this makes the car look older in my eyes)
  • Bilt Hamber shampoo (easy both on your eyes and car; mild yet effective and highly rated), with a touch of Optimum No Rinse (I haven't found a safety sheet for it) also for the wheels. You probably gathered that I won't go near wheel cleaning liquids due to their profound harshness (to the car but mainly my eyes, skin, etc). A specialist wheel cleaning mitt and microfibre towel, alongside a wheel nut cavity gadget do the job usually. For persistent stains, there may be specialist wipes that are safe to use.
  • Currently considering ceramic detailers, eg Gtechniq C2 (as a top up to the existing ceramic coating)
  • I've used a quick detailer spray in the past, immediately after the wash. It may give you the extra shine and wet look you're after. The car felt extremely smooth to the touch afterwards, so it may prevent dust from sticking to the car for some time.
 
Glad you appreciate where I'm coming from.

With "you only get one set of eyes" as the main driver for my decisions on such matters, here's what I do and works for me:
  • Ceramic coating from new (professionally applied)
  • PPF on piano black (as its so easy to get swirls on them and this makes the car look older in my eyes)
  • Bilt Hamber shampoo (easy both on your eyes and car; mild yet effective and highly rated), with a touch of Optimum No Rinse (I haven't found a safety sheet for it) also for the wheels. You probably gathered that I won't go near wheel cleaning liquids due to their profound harshness (to the car but mainly my eyes, skin, etc). A specialist wheel cleaning mitt and microfibre towel, alongside a wheel nut cavity gadget do the job usually. For persistent stains, there may be specialist wipes that are safe to use.
  • Currently considering ceramic detailers, eg Gtechniq C2 (as a top up to the existing ceramic coating)
  • I've used a quick detailer spray in the past, immediately after the wash. It may give you the extra shine and wet look you're after. The car felt extremely smooth to the touch afterwards, so it may prevent dust from sticking to the car for some time.
Thanks, that’s helpful. I think it’ll be a normal wash in the meantime then take to a detailer to no doubt hear about how awful and thin the paint is, but get it ceramic coated.
 
How can you tell, low quality flash images without a single comparible panel angle/exposure?


Every white and Pearl white one I’ve seen are the same. Bumpers are darker than the body. Rear bumper isn’t too bad but the front bumpers are a mile out.

Look at your rear tow eye cover compared to the actual bumper cover for example (if yours is white)

The tow eye cover is whiter than the bumper
 
That’s great. The bumpers on these are quite mismatched to the body anyway from the factory so a visible difference is quite normal
Haven't noticed that on mine at all. Original bumper looked the same colour, as does the new one.
 
Haven't noticed that on mine at all. Original bumper looked the same colour, as does the new one.
It’s a thing on all modern cars. Some more noticeable than others. some seem particularly bad (chanpionship white civic type r is a mile out)

Body’s are water based, baked at a higher temp, bumpers are painted with solvent paint in a different part of the factory etc.

The red and black Yaris doesn’t seem far away but the whites are noticeable especially the front for some reason

 
It’s a thing on all modern cars. Some more noticeable than others. some seem particularly bad (chanpionship white civic type r is a mile out)

Body’s are water based, baked at a higher temp, bumpers are painted with solvent paint in a different part of the factory etc.

The red and black Yaris doesn’t seem far away but the whites are noticeable especially the front for some reason

That’s cool thanks for explaining. And for the record my replacement bumper (white) always seemed cleaner than the body, but I assumed it had some sort of extra coating on it. Didn’t notice with the original though!
 
Back
Top