GR86 Vehicle Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
What baffles me is that my Toyota dealer says the spec sheet for the vin of car i'm buying has an alarm / immobiliser. I've asked him to get their techs to test it and sent him the p81-82 instructions.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 19.14.52.webp
 
I'm getting a sense of deja vu. This is starting to feel like the parking sensors saga all over again
 
Back in the early 2000s Toyota fitter an alarm at the docks on the MR2. The European imports* didn’t have one.

*the days when people used to import a car themselves from Europe because it was cheaper . Similar time to when fellas in vans were doing booze runs to Calais 🤣
 
Interested to see what comes out of the legal department on this one. What’re we thinking, retrofit?
I guess this is what is causing the delay in an official response (4 weeks today) We all know there isn't an alarm but there should be so there are lot of questions being asked as to how it happened and why, and then they have to come up with a way of not pissing off x hundred owners with a free mug/t-shirt to make up for it. They are probably number crunching on the cheapest way to solve it (I'm also guessing there is some to and fro between Subaru and Toyota as to who was to blame and who should foot the bill.)
 
I guess this is what is causing the delay in an official response (4 weeks today) We all know there isn't an alarm but there should be so there are lot of questions being asked as to how it happened and why, and then they have to come up with a way of not pissing off x hundred owners with a free mug/t-shirt to make up for it. They are probably number crunching on the cheapest way to solve it (I'm also guessing there is some to and fro between Subaru and Toyota as to who was to blame and who should foot the bill.)
I'm not so sure they'd give away that many mugs and t-shirts....
 
  • Like
Reactions: v8s
I guess this is what is causing the delay in an official response (4 weeks today) We all know there isn't an alarm but there should be so there are lot of questions being asked as to how it happened and why, and then they have to come up with a way of not pissing off x hundred owners with a free mug/t-shirt to make up for it. They are probably number crunching on the cheapest way to solve it (I'm also guessing there is some to and fro between Subaru and Toyota as to who was to blame and who should foot the bill.)

TUK…

1697744168521.webp



As for Subaru/Toyota footing the bill my suspicion is it’ll be all on Toyota U.K. unless a very unlikely scenario has unfolded.

Dealerships buy from the local market importer and that national importer will be the ones controlling the spec of the car. Aside from left or right hand drive and any specific quirks of lighting and emissions which are regulated in the region (European models saddled with OPF but no spoiler when compared to the US models with higher trim level, which I suspect is for WLTP reasons) the specifics of the trim of a UKDM model will have been selected by Toyota U.K. so we don’t have two tiers of model or the red interior option some markets have. My bet is they dropped a clanger and missed ticking the relevant boxes for parking sensors and alarms when ordering their “stock” with Toyota in Japan.

All speculation of course and I can’t claim any insider knowledge.
 
Evening all. I'm having a Scorpion S5+ Tracker fitted tomorrow. That includes an independent remote and auto immobiliser. No specialist fob, no start.
 
Just seen this on YouTube on activating the alarm for the GR86.... Anyone tried it yet?



Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
 
This has already been tried without success unfortunately - see previous post #188 on this thread
My apologies, clearly didn't scroll back far enough to check. I got excited when I saw it and thought that was it solved!

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
 
My apologies, clearly didn't scroll back far enough to check. I got excited when I saw it and thought that was it solved!

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Time to give up on the alarm. Had this back from Toyota:

Dear Stephen

Thank you for your email

UK specification GR86 vehicles do not have an alarm, however they do have an immobiliser.

I hope this helps

Kind regards


Caitlyn Thomson
Case Manager, Case Investigation Team
Toyota (GB) PLC

So I've now asked how that squares with their quoted UK spec from the VIN and how they think I should break it to my insurers

I don't expect much sense in return.

I feel a class action coming on...
 
Where do you find the spec from the vin?

I'm thinking that I might need a copy of the spec for some arguments with TUK....
 
Where do you find the spec from the vin?

I'm thinking that I might need a copy of the spec for some arguments with TUK....
https://www.toyota-tech.eu/Menu/Repair then under vehicle specification. You may have to register, but it's free (that site is also good for workshop methods and specs, but you have to pay 4 euros per hour, but worth that imho)

Hth
 
So I've now asked how that squares with their quoted UK spec from the VIN and how they think I should break it to my insurers

I don't expect much sense in return.

I feel a class action coming on...
There's the UK spec sheet, the email that they sent out with the insurance instructions, and the VIN spec that all say the car has an alarm.

No apology from them in their response, even though they've misrepresented the spec of the car. Outstanding.

To consolidate the evidence that shows Toyota have stated the car has an alarm:
Screenshot_20231022-164357.png

Screenshot_20231022-164135.png
Screenshot_20231022-164212.png


Is anybody here friendly with a lawyer? 🤔
 
Last edited:
https://www.toyota-tech.eu/Menu/Repair then under vehicle specification. You may have to register, but it's free (that site is also good for workshop methods and specs, but you have to pay 4 euros per hour, but worth that imho)

Hth
That's great, thanks.
A friend of mine has been a car dealer all his working life and is pretty sure they'll have to offer an aftermarket alarm if we complain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top