GR86 The GR86 “The Orders / Owners List / GR86 Register”

Maybe I can win the furthest away order... 260 miles from home to where my pre order deposit has gone!! Figured someone who is keen on the GR86 at a dealer and promised to be proactive the moment orders can be placed was worth the hassle of a 500 mile round trip...
Waterlooville is only 20 miles from me! :ROFLMAO:
 
Hi all, been lurking for a few weeks, but as my GT86 was being serviced I put a deposit down for the GR86 Premium! Assuming that the UK market gets the red interior option, I shall be going track bred (or ignition red if the European names are anything to go by), if not neptune blue!
 
Hi all, been lurking for a few weeks, but as my GT86 was being serviced I put a deposit down for the GR86 Premium! Assuming that the UK market gets the red interior option, I shall be going track bred (or ignition red if the European names are anything to go by), if not neptune blue!
Welcome and congratulations, I’ll add you to the list, are you going Manual or Auto 👍😎
 
As I’ve been leaning towards Pavement Grey for a while I’ve updated my colour choice . As with a lot of folk , final decision will be made when I can actually see a car for real. I hope dealers don’t all get demo/showroom cars in the same colour 🤔 I’d happily have a day out to see cars in the colours I’m thinking of 👍😎


This is a nice video showing the grey colour , from Poland I believe. Interestingly it claims only 4500 cars for the European market over the lifespan of the GR86 up to 31.12.2023 🤔

 
Last edited:
The how long will we be able to buy one for is not clear , the timeline at the end of the video does not tie in with the Response from Toyota to this Question 🤔 If the deadline is 31.12.2023 then the car will have been on sale less than 2 years and , as I understand it , cars have to be registered for road use before the deadline , whatever date that is?


E94D68E3-4086-4120-A911-AD6D23504536.jpeg


1BFAD2CE-36C1-423D-867C-1948F3717A5C.jpeg
 
Toyota social media aren't going to be any help Andy.

Instead of trying to get information out of Toyota, who have been quiet regarding the whole GR86 situation, I thought it would be easier to see what safety regulations are coming into force stopping it from being sold. It looks to me its all focused around the EU GSR (General Safety Regulations) 2019/2144. Without going into detail it looks like the various requirements are implemented in 3 stages;

6 July 2022
7 July 2024
7 Jan 2026

Obviously whatever criteria needs to be met for July this year the car fulfils, but not what's required from July 2024 onwards. So I'm guessing you will be able to buy one up until that date, when it no longer meets the EU requirement. This ties up with your screenshot and the rumour batted around previously (June 2024). Toyota will cut off at month end and won't bother selling it for another week into July.
 
Whatever date eventually emerges it will be interesting to see how it all pans out 🤔
 
I was speaking to a good friend of mine last week who is a car journalist for well known sports car magazine, when they went to Spain for the pre prod drive in Nov, they were expecting Toyota to start taking orders in Dec/Jan, with press cars due in Q1 2022, they've not heard anything since from Toyota so believes there is a delay to their roll out, if they were expecting press cars in the near future they usually get several weeks notice with embargo, yet still nothing. The guy who was out in Spain said it was 'promising' and 'really looking forward to trying it out on UK roads', 'could be the antidote to all the big weight big power cars we've got used to'

Fingers crossed! :)
 
I wouldn't be surprise if that was the case. The Subaru Gunma plant where they are manufactured has already shut down production 6 days this year due to parts shortages. That will hurt availability, I also heard rumours the hyperflashing indicator issue has slowed things a bit but that's more internet rumour.
 
Seen Toyota have paused production for min 1 day due to a supplier being hacked who provide plastic parts and other components. They've been suffering from general supply chain issues backed up from Covid, theory goes the Ukraine war might add further manufacturing issues and supply chain delays.
 
One thing that is key to note is Toyota GR86 is built by Subaru along with all Subaru models like BRZ, WRX..etc in its plant. That’s also a constraint as they are trying to meet demand for all its models in USA and trying to meet Toyota GR86 demand as well.

 
One thing that is key to note is Toyota GR86 is built by Subaru along with all Subaru models like BRZ, WRX..etc in its plant. That’s also a constraint as they are trying to meet demand for all its models in USA and trying to meet Toyota GR86 demand as well.

So does it matter how Toyota production is going? Should we be looking out for Subaru news/issues?
 
So does it matter how Toyota production is going? Should we be looking out for Subaru news/issues?
Without going too much into specifics, for product strategy like GR86 Toyota dealer order system from NSC’s will be converted to orders by Toyota team on slots already requested to Subaru. That’s the end of it from Toyota and Toyota only again get involved when the vehicle ordered is in shipping compound in Japan.
Being Toyota they will honour their commitment to sell in Europe, but their European launch and numbers will be impacted by co2 fleet compliance as a entire company for all vehicles sold in Europe. They have to sell more zero emissions or low emissions vehicles to meet the reduction in EU target or pay fines.
 
I was speaking to a good friend of mine last week who is a car journalist for well known sports car magazine, when they went to Spain for the pre prod drive in Nov, they were expecting Toyota to start taking orders in Dec/Jan, with press cars due in Q1 2022, they've not heard anything since from Toyota so believes there is a delay to their roll out, if they were expecting press cars in the near future they usually get several weeks notice with embargo, yet still nothing. The guy who was out in Spain said it was 'promising' and 'really looking forward to trying it out on UK roads', 'could be the antidote to all the big weight big power cars we've got used to'

Fingers crossed! :)
“Antidote to big weight big power cars” I hope so , been there , done that. The last car I owned that I could use everything it had and have a big smile on my face was a second generation Honda CRX , 120 bhp , redline north of 7,000rpm, no turbo or VTEC and weighed next to nothing ( 900ish kg) , practical , even had a sunroof 😉
0E40D8CE-6A56-4133-9F56-0ED5A9B346B1.webp
👍😎 Hoping the GR86 will bring back that experience 🤞
 
Last edited:
Back
Top