GR86 The GR86 “The Orders / Owners List / GR86 Register”

Second call today (10:05 order) - says mine will be one of the first but likely due in Sept / Oct now instead of July / Aug. Said the only info they've had is some sort of European regulatory change - don't know how much credence to give to that but also don't really care to be fair. Buy Online team were lovely as always - confirmed that the initial finance order is still on for Q3 but you need to agree it with them sooner rather than later if you want to lock it in at current rates. With the way the economy is going atm I'd recommend doing that. Forgot to ask about getting a test drive!
 
As long as the regulatory change isn’t anything to do with an ISA system being incorporated it’s probably no big deal.
If it is that, the cars will be ruined, for me anyway.
Toyota being very vague and evasive about what is changing is somewhat of a worry I must say.

The only question I would want answering is if the changes are to do with ISA.
Just a yes or no answer will do, no details required.
A vague answer will sadly probably mean yes.
 
6nh2uu.webp
 
As long as the regulatory change isn’t anything to do with an ISA system being incorporated it’s probably no big deal.
If it is that, the cars will be ruined, for me anyway.
Toyota being very vague and evasive about what is changing is somewhat of a worry I must say.

The only question I would want answering is if the changes are to do with ISA.
Just a yes or no answer will do, no details required.
A vague answer will sadly probably mean yes.
Sad sad times we live in if they did that. The UK haven’t followed the requirement of the EU yet. So would be annoying if they keep them till the time we do adapt the same crap law.
 
As long as the regulatory change isn’t anything to do with an ISA system being incorporated it’s probably no big deal.
If it is that, the cars will be ruined, for me anyway.
Toyota being very vague and evasive about what is changing is somewhat of a worry I must say.

The only question I would want answering is if the changes are to do with ISA.
Just a yes or no answer will do, no details required.
A vague answer will sadly probably mean yes.
Didn't even think about that! Hope this isn't the case - the date for ISA being implemented is July 6th 2022 for newly launched models. GR86s have been in the country for a few weeks now - my assumption is that if they registered the first one here before that date then we should be okay as 'existing' models have until 2024 to have them fitted?

I think given that the manual cars don't have adaptive cruise or any sort of camera tech its unlikely that the technology is even there to install it. Saying that, my car landed a few weeks back and has been in Derby for at least two weeks now - a two to three month wait after its landed in the UK does seem strange!

ETA: Some very recent news articles say that the UK has not agreed to adopt the new EU safety regs that include ISA alongside a suite of other driver monitoring devices, but also says most manufacturers will not bother removing such devices from UK market cars. Somewhat promising. I would take a guess that the GR86 will not have ISA.
 
Didn't even think about that! Hope this isn't the case - the date for ISA being implemented is July 6th 2022 for newly launched models. GR86s have been in the country for a few weeks now - my assumption is that if they registered the first one here before that date then we should be okay as 'existing' models have until 2024 to have them fitted?

I think given that the manual cars don't have adaptive cruise or any sort of camera tech its unlikely that the technology is even there to install it. Saying that, my car landed a few weeks back and has been in Derby for at least two weeks now - a two to three month wait after its landed in the UK does seem strange!

ETA: Some very recent news articles say that the UK has not agreed to adopt the new EU safety regs that include ISA alongside a suite of other driver monitoring devices, but also says most manufacturers will not bother removing such devices from UK market cars. Somewhat promising. I would take a guess that the GR86 will not have ISA.
Fingers crossed!
You’d expect the GR86 was ‘type approved’ quite some time ago, therefore would not require such nonsense to be fitted. Hopefully some Eurocrat hasn’t stuck their oar in and decided to twist the interpretation of the rules.
 
Fingers crossed!
You’d expect the GR86 was ‘type approved’ quite some time ago, therefore would not require such nonsense to be fitted. Hopefully some Eurocrat hasn’t stuck their oar in and decided to twist the interpretation of the rules.
Regardless what you think of 'Eurocrats' it will depend on our own Department for Transportation and a certain Mr Reese-Mogg to adopt and align with EU regs on this matter - so if the worst does turn out to be the case, they are the ones to point the finger at.

So far though nothing has been announced and the safety suite has not been ratified into UK law, and we are well past the 6th of July date - given the recent reshuffle, current leadership contest and general push for deregulation post-brexit under the current government I can't imagine any major changes passing through the HoC anytime soon.
 
Second call today (10:05 order) - says mine will be one of the first but likely due in Sept / Oct now instead of July / Aug. Said the only info they've had is some sort of European regulatory change - don't know how much credence to give to that but also don't really care to be fair. Buy Online team were lovely as always - confirmed that the initial finance order is still on for Q3 but you need to agree it with them sooner rather than later if you want to lock it in at current rates. With the way the economy is going atm I'd recommend doing that. Forgot to ask about getting a test drive!
Second call! They must like you still waiting for my first one, you'll probably have your call before I get my call at this rate 😂
 
If it is to do with ISA then I’ll be flipping it in favour of an FD2 or FK2 CTR. Got no time for nanny state bs, switchable or not. GPF’s annoy me as is, I know they’re beneficial but Japanese cars seem to sound particularly asthmatic with them.
 
There were a few cars registered before the cutoff date, the one at the MR2 day for starters.
I think given that the manual cars don't have adaptive cruise or any sort of camera tech its unlikely that the technology is even there to install it.
Surely it would only need to know how fast you are going for the limiter to kick in? No cameras or adaptive cruise required.

Would a Carly or similar be able to disable it anyway?
 
ISA can use either a camera system to recognise road signs or a GPS. The current regulations allow it to be turned off when the car is started.

The car was type approved before the cutoff, it doesn't need it fitted anyway.

edit: Oh, to add it doesn't even need to be a speed limiter. It can be an audio or vibrating warning to tell you you're speeding but that wouldn't make a great news article and trigger people like saying it's a speed limiter would, lol.
 
Last edited:
edit: Oh, to add it doesn't even need to be a speed limiter. It can be an audio or vibrating warning to tell you you're speeding but that wouldn't make a great news article and trigger people like saying it's a speed limiter would, lol.
Like it's grandfather :ROFLMAO:

 
I have accepted that my delivery is very likely 2024, which is okay. I can squeeze another year out of the E30. Looks like I'll be making those track rod changes after all 😮‍💨

Means I've also got more time to save up, if I want the option of cash over finance.

Silver lining and all that.
 
The disappointment is Toyota GB’s poor comms and expectation management. Although I’d prefer not to wait, I can do so as it should be worth the wait but Toyota needs to be open and honest rather than stay silent. Do you think anyone from Toyota GB reads this forum to get a feel for the customer?
 
The disappointment is Toyota GB’s poor comms and expectation management. Although I’d prefer not to wait, I can do so as it should be worth the wait but Toyota needs to be open and honest rather than stay silent. Do you think anyone from Toyota GB reads this forum to get a feel for the customer?

A good question , “Is anyone there? “ 🤔 I guessing we are a tiny number in terms of Toyota customers , many of which may not own another Toyota (other than maybe a GT86) and staying quiet about problems is often a “Big Corporate” response 🤷‍♂️ I’m guessing Toyota is more bothered at the moment of the wheels, literally , falling off the bZ4X and even demo cars grounded, and they are pretty tight lipped about that too 😉.

With all the 🤬going on in the world a few GR86s stuck in limbo in Derby won’t make the news anywhere , other than on here of course 😂
 
IF (big if) some do get there cars in October (around 6 months from ordering) that's still good going in the current climate I think, not trying to defend Toyota but there are plenty of strories of other manufs with longer delays. The last new car I bought took 4 or 5 months to be delivered with just as much lack of communication along the way. That car was bought when there was zero chip shortage, it was pre covid, pre brexit even and a car that had little demand for it unlike the 86, it was a convertible bought during Autumn.

What has caused so much anguish I think is the fact that when we hit the "buy now" button and it said 12-15 week delivery and we took it as gospel, I am sure some placating generic email to all buyers once a month would have solved all of this.
 
And another thing...

Those that know their car is in the UK that is pretty good going, 3 months (12-15 weeks) from order to arriving in UK including weeks on a ship. I can understand your frustration though having your car held for a semi unspecified time to solve an unspecified "issue", some of us haven't even had a call yet or gone into build.
 
I think the big issue people have is being misled. If Toyota said from the start 12 months delivery everyone would be fine with it. Not fulfilling any of what they have said and keeping quiet about it is not good enough. Personally I’m now without a car as I made a decision on part ex having spoken to Toyota online and being told wrong information and now don’t know whether to get a banger for 6 months or something better if it’s going to be 18 months.
That’s definitely my biggest annoyance. 13 weeks after ordering the car and all I have heard is an automated order receipt and an automated message my car is “processing”.
I was pretty sure the 12-15 weeks at order was ambitious, what I did not expect was 12-24 months! At this point it arrives when it arrives but how am I meant to sort out my current car financing without an ETA?
 
Back
Top