Took my local demonstrator (from SLM Toyota in Uckfield) out on Saturday. Friendly and enthusiastic sales chap told me he had driven it a few times, and described it as 'an angry little thing'.
First impressions are that it was a lot lower and smaller than I expected. I have no idea
why I expected that, but i did. Looks great though, looks purposeful in the flesh.
This car had done 520 miles, so had been driven a bit before I got in. Interior wise, I noticed the quality of the steering wheel, feels terrific in the hands. Like the little swathes of alcantara on the door capping and the binnacle. The rest of the plastics seem fine, it's a typical japanese interior. Controls for the heating, and the TC off and 'Track' buttons. I'm afraid I can't comment on the android/apple carplay whatever it's called, as I simply saw a large square telly that I immediately turned off for the duration of the test drive.
I'm a race driver as a hobby, and on the road I tend to be quite cautious and try to drive smoothly - probably because I know how unpleasant crashing is - but I managed to get it squirrelly three times leaving the industrial estate. The roads were slippery - it was 3 degrees - but even so it felt lively from the off. I'd imagine this will catch some people out - it won't be long before one of these ends up in a hedge, I would say.
After 20 mins or so, I noticed the seats - they're great. Very supportive, nicely trimmed, they look good when you're not in them. While we're at it, the rear seats are very small - no chance of an adult fitting in there except for a 10 minute run somewhere.
Pedals are well spaced - clutch bites sharply, brakes are very good, but I have to say the gearchange isn't as 'bolt-like' as i'd hoped for. I thought it might have a bit more weighty feel to it. I'd say it's not as satisfying as an MX5 gearchange, for example. Maybe it'll get better over time.
About halfway through the drive it reminded me of an original Lotus Elan - nimble, responsive, excellent weight distribution, great c-o-g, and 10 minutes later I passed a forlorn looking elan at the side of the road. It's a sign from the motoring gods etc etc etc
All in I drove for just under an hour, got 27mpg, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Because it was a demo, and I have mechanical sympathy, there was no red-lining, no insane acceleration, just a nice quasi-bimble about, but it's left me looking forward to getting mine - 28th Dec, according to the sales chap. I definitely won't be selling it, thats for sure.
View attachment 11067
View attachment 11066