GR86 So if there ARE going to be more GR86s, what do you think about this?

Lets say more GR86s are coming to the UK. How do you feel about that?

• Total voters

Silver Fox

Totally Hooked
May 7, 2022
There has been some discussion recently concerning the possibility of another batch of GR86s coming to the UK (for example here).

Now, cynical fellow that I am, I am of the opinion that it's all rather spurious, but say I'm proven to be mistaken and there are more coming than we were told/we thought, what would your views be?

Would you be delighted on behalf of your fellow car enthusiasts, more of whom would be given the opportunity to own a GR86?

Or would you be miffed, as the rarity/exclusivity (and possible future value) are important?

Did the arduous (and at times tortuous) ordering and delivery experience (still not over for some of us, let's remember) mean that you don't want some lightweight leisurely mooching in to a Toyota emporium to causally order one of 1,200 extra cars?

Those of us old enough to remember the Renault Clio Williams saga - would you feel similarly let down by Toyota as our Williams 1-owning brethren were all those years ago?

I for one would be quite happy if a few more made their way here to help satisfy the demand from those who just missed out, but if there were loads of them and they came with rear parking sensors and auto-dimming mirrors and gorgeous integrated suit hooks and they were £24,995 I'd be a bit put out.

Over to you, comrades - thoughts, as always, are most welcome!

Conscript

Totally Hooked
Apr 20, 2022
Kent, UK
Positive. Don't really give a shit about exclusivity. Would love to see more on the road, in the (admittedly optimistic) hope that it might encourage other manufacturers to enter the market again.

From a practical standpoint, more cars also hopefully translates to better parts availability and should the worst happen and my car get written off or stolen, it would be nice if getting hold of a replacement was relatively easy. Because, going back to my first point, there aren't exactly many cars in the affordable fun sports car sector. If I lose my GR, I don't really have a viable replacement.

TFP555

Obsessed member
Apr 29, 2022
Cambridgeshire
Can’t imagine anyone would think negatively about more becoming available?!
Positive is that more enthusiasts get to own one, including my daughter whom I've firmly told she cant have mine.

Negative is future residuals for people who have been lucky enough to secure one, if more become available.

I enjoy owning rare cars, and with only 430 they'll be a rare sight.

Reactions: Silver Fox

OPC100

Totally Hooked
Apr 23, 2022
Dorset, UK
Yep. The more, the merrier. It will still be a rare car due to the 2024 cut-off and at least this should mean spares, etc are more readily available. And it might mean I get to see another on my travels and give a wave. 👋

v8s

Totally Hooked
Apr 15, 2022
Not fussed if they bring more in, doubt they will be £24995 though, more like £34995 or more. If they do up the price and increase the spec then I may be tempted to swap for a new one (assuming the colour option includes a "proper" pearlecscent one :ROFLMAO: )

OPC100

Totally Hooked
Apr 23, 2022
Dorset, UK
Not fussed if they bring more in, doubt they will be £24995 though, more like £34995 or more. If they do up the price and increase the spec then I may be tempted to swap for a new one (assuming the colour option includes a "proper" pearlecscent one :ROFLMAO: )
Yep, wouldn't be surprised to see a £35K price if they bring more in. Just look at the current pricing on the mx5 and type r.

Al4n

Totally Hooked
Apr 17, 2022
Dartford Kent
Personally I think we are all very lucky to have (or nearly have) such an exclusive car.

Being in the club do I want more to join? I’m a little sceptical. Part of me thinks of the residuals. But then I realise I wouldn’t have one if it wasn’t for this forum. My dealer was going to walk me through the process on 21st April as he was on holiday on the 20th. Then I found this forum and realised it was best to get in asap!

I’ve still not met anyone who knows what the GR86 is. Quite like that.

Duke

Totally Hooked
Dec 27, 2021
There could be 10x the initial allocation and they would still be a rare sight, and the demand is there to ensure strong residuals even with vastly more cars available.

Look at the GRY where there are maybe 2500-3000 cars in the UK and only now are the very first cars dipping much under their original sale price.

AndyRC

Zookeeper
Dec 28, 2021
East Yorkshire
I'm inclined to agree with you @Pappyjohn .

This thread and poll briefly gave me something to do on a grey February day; after all, there's only so many times one can re-read the letter of the month in the current issue of EVO magazine...

;)
You could have gone and fettled your clutch spring 🤷‍♂️ or changed you knob 🤷‍♂️ or both 🤷‍♂️, appears to be a popular activity amongst “the community “ 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Nick and Silver Fox

Seano1878

Totally Hooked
Apr 13, 2022
Manchester
There could be 10x the initial allocation and they would still be a rare sight, and the demand is there to ensure strong residuals even with vastly more cars available.

Look at the GRY where there are maybe 2500-3000 cars in the UK and only now are the very first cars dipping much under their original sale price.
More than that, as of Q3 22 there were 3939 circuit pack cars on the road with 101 SORN, 174 convenience pack cars with 0 SORN and 149 standard cars with 2 SORN.

With more being delivered all the time it wouldn’t surprise me if it ends up being closer to 5K between them all. Quite a large amount really which makes residuals all the more impressive. I think people assume they are rarer than they are but I see them everywhere in Manchester.

KobayashiMaru86

Totally Hooked
Apr 14, 2022
Swansea, Wales
Selfishly I have mine. I don't care if more get to experience it or not. The only benefit maybe more parts getting developed as currently it's all US and Japan so it's expensive to get them. Or more incentive to send more here as there's more customers, which may reduce costs for us. I'm planning never to sell so residuals don't mean much to me.

ZN8

Zookeeper
Staff member
Dec 29, 2021
Kent
Nobody will notice the difference if there were 400 cars or 800. It's still extremely rare. Currently you are more likely to see a Lamborghini Aventador than a GR86, although I couldn't care less, didn't exactly buy a Toyota for it to be a status symbol.