GR86 Running in engine

You can find videos about the subject for hard break-in, medium break-in and soft break-in. Toyota recommends soft-medium break-in below 4000 rpm for 1000 miles. Why would they recommend it if it makes no sense?
I'm still undecided, I'll keep it below 4500rpm for now but especially warm up the engine before WOT. I have the impression the last few centimers of pedal travel don't do much anyway, feels like WOT with half pedal travel sometimes (agressive throttle mapping).
 
Thanks for this, I was a bit more cautious and set it to 3800 with beep and reminder to give me margin of error - still got to hold out for the first 1000 miles before unleashing the full potential of the car:cool:
 
Will rev to 5k and it's plenty quick under that. Only put two half tanks of fuel in so far but got some driving coming so 1000 miles should be ticked off quite quickly
 
750 miles in and I'm bored of not going beyond 5000rpm. It's had the occasional push up to 6k.

Is it mandatory to run it in like this or can we just bray it? There's no mandated oil change until 6000miles or so although I'm tempted to change engine and gearbox oil myself after run in
 
750 miles in and I'm bored of not going beyond 5000rpm. It's had the occasional push up to 6k.

Is it mandatory to run it in like this or can we just bray it? There's no mandated oil change until 6000miles or so although I'm tempted to change engine and gearbox oil myself after run in

I'm near 900 and totally bored of babying it around now.

I just watched that video, avoid extended idling especially when the engine is hot. Great, my first 100 miles were stuck in heavy traffic :rolleyes:
 
I'm over 800 now and this last couple of hundred miles feels like ten thousand.

I don't think it helped that I did a good 300+ miles the first week or so after collecting the car and have used a lot less since.
 
Does it say this in the UK manual or just the online USA one. The dealer said no run in requirement when I picked it up. I did it anyway cos you guys were all doing it
 
Does it say this in the UK manual or just the online USA one. The dealer said no run in requirement when I picked it up. I did it anyway cos you guys were all doing it
I couldn't find it in my paper manual that came with the car although I haven't read the whole thing.

It certainly isn't in the driving procedure section which is where it can be found in the online version.
 
Maybe the running in period is only specified because customers expect there to be one
 
Last edited:
Does it say this in the UK manual or just the online USA one. The dealer said no run in requirement when I picked it up. I did it anyway cos you guys were all doing it
Yeap P131 of the UK manual

1677075524743.webp
 
Back
Top