GR86 Running in engine

Ctec, no one is disagreeing with you. Most of us have had a bit of a route on the way to GR86 ownership, multiple cars.

Fluids are important, price of juice is £1.63 a litre here, I could put £1.50 fuel in.

Oil changes are for the race boys and considerate / forever owners, the rest will just keep with the Toyota service routines. It’s a Toyota, what could go wrong?
 
Don't Porsche recommend servicing some 911s every two years? You'd think of all car buyers, Porsche buyers are going to care less about how often their car requires a service, as they've got more money than most. You'd also think that Porsche aren't going to risk their prestigious cars being damaged due to a lack of maintenance. Which suggests that it's ok for some cars to go longer between services.
Manufacturers do get it wrong from time to time, even Porsche.

There will be many GR owners who are happy to run the factory oils in line with Toyota service schedules. I believe there is a better option for engine and transmissions, but accept won't be for everyone. It's a very subjective topic.

As an example, I'll find a few photos showing magnetic drain bolts from transfer box and rear LSD, when servicing low mileage GR Yaris.
 
Better in or out.......

20230905_132556.webp
 
Don't Porsche recommend servicing some 911s every two years? You'd think of all car buyers, Porsche buyers are going to care less about how often their car requires a service, as they've got more money than most. You'd also think that Porsche aren't going to risk their prestigious cars being damaged due to a lack of maintenance. Which suggests that it's ok for some cars to go longer between services.
Manufacturers want to sell cars and long service intervals / low service costs help do that. I doubt most people care past the point where they sell the car, which for most won't be at a high mileage / old age.
 
I reckon there could be value in a dedicated thread on oil fluid recommendations - I saw in another discussion that Toyota branded was good, but would be great to get some discussion and links to research.

Certainly I think having yearly/10k changes for road use places less demand on performance at the extreme of life, it's not like porsche/VAG with their 2yr/20k intervals.
 
I DIY changed oil at 1280 miles after good 800 mile run-in. I would not like to have left the first oil in the engine to 10000 miles. Having said that I have a 87000 miles Porsche and from records it seems it’s first service was at 12 months with 19000 miles and that 3.4 na boxer engine is fine. Though the GR has loved and runs so much nicer on its new oil that I am very glad that the first oil was changed at 1280 miles.
 
Back
Top